Login / Register

Tags: , ,

Millenia or DAV BG1 as clean stereo preamp ?
New Reply
Subscribe
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to ISedlacek
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemeekfreak
yeah, i told you all that the levels wouldnt be the same, i'm not really sure (since each mp3 is a different take) if you can really get that close without compression, anyways, glad people are listening to them at least.
Tom, what about a small tune sung into those preamps ?
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Hi?

I am sorry for hijacking...

Is there anyone who has experience with their stereo mastering EQ???

There were some thread about stereo eq and no one mentioned DAV one...

I am very curious about their eq...

I think the price is just right...

Thanks...

T....

George Massenburg
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek
Tom, what about a small tune sung into those preamps ?
yeah, i could do that I guess...i was gonna record some "piano" stuff with my yamaha s90 through it and the portico, i figurred it could be the exact same performance via midi...i'll do it later...i need some sleep now

www.tomwehrle.com
www.myspace.com/tomwehrle
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Okay, so let me get this straight:

You've processed the audio samples with normalization (and other levelling apparently), and you've swapped channels on the BG-1 sample.

So tell me, how are these audio examples valid representations of the preamps anymore?

If there was a mistake on the BG-1 regarding channels getting swapped, then I personally want some sort of verification of that, and a new recording made with the channels done correctly. But to swap channels on one of the preamps but not others, and apply processing, is to ruin these examples as a legitimate comparison.
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday
Is there anyone who has experience with their stereo mastering EQ???
I second this request. any users? MEs? Mixers? thumbsup
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Okay, so let me get this straight:

You've processed the audio samples with normalization (and other levelling apparently), and you've swapped channels on the BG-1 sample.

So tell me, how are these audio examples valid representations of the preamps anymore?

If there was a mistake on the BG-1 regarding channels getting swapped, then I personally want some sort of verification of that, and a new recording made with the channels done correctly. But to swap channels on one of the preamps but not others, and apply processing, is to ruin these examples as a legitimate comparison.
There shouldnt have been any issues with the L&R channels being incorrect. The mics never moved, I can't say the same for me, as I had to walk back and forth between each take, so chances are when i sat back down and picked up the guitar to play, i was in a slightly different posistion. These clips weren't suppose to be scientific, I was just hoping to do something that I hadn't seen done on here, and thats just to hear the difference between the bg1 and some other pres...normally you get a lot of opinions, but no actual samples of what people are talking about.
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
There shouldnt have been any issues with the L&R channels being incorrect. The mics never moved, I can't say the same for me, as I had to walk back and forth between each take, so chances are when i sat back down and picked up the guitar to play, i was in a slightly different posistion. These clips weren't suppose to be scientific, I was just hoping to do something that I hadn't seen done on here, and thats just to hear the difference between the bg1 and some other pres...normally you get a lot of opinions, but no actual samples of what people are talking about.
My comments weren't directed at you at all, but the person that took the audio examples and swapped sides on the BG-1 example. This totally invalidates the comparison in my opinion. And now people are listening to those examples and forming conclusions from them--and the BG-1 with the channels flipped.

It was like that poster couldn't believe the BG-1 could legitimately sound that good so there had to be something "wrong" with it, or the recording. So he flipped the channels. Sheesh.

Just for the record, it's really hard to get the channels wrong with the BG-1 because the left is on the left both front and back.
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
you've swapped channels on the BG-1 sample.
They are not swapped ... They are the same as in the other examples ... I just checked
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
Thanks Tom for the samples. As was mentioned, there is quite a difference in the levels... almost 12 dB here and there in some cases. Also, I think perhaps you've reversed the left and right channels for the BG1 clip, relative to the others?

Here are the same samples balanced a little in level, BG1 channels swapped, in random order.

Key is here

Steve

-------
This is the post I'm referring to. Sorry for the confusion. Or maybe I'm the one who is confused?
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the post I'm referring to. Sorry for the confusion. Or maybe I'm the one who is confused?
Yes, Steve had this feeling, but after checking, I think it is all right ( I tried to reverse the pan, THEN it was really swapped ...). But anyway, the mics position seems to be slightly different for BG, hence the feeling of reversed pan could easily arise ...
But the volume really needed some balancing
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Gear addict

more samples

I played 2 songs, recorded it via midi so that the performance would be the same each time passing through the pres...this was off my Yamaha S90 (AP: NaturlGrnd - preset used). These are a little of 2 mins long each, I tried to play hard and soft, high and low, modern and classical to give an idea of what it sounds like.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 portico piano.mp3 (4.85 MB, 1221 views)
File Type: mp3 portico silk piano.mp3 (4.85 MB, 1168 views)
File Type: mp3 bg1 piano.mp3 (4.85 MB, 1059 views)
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

wow, it really does depend on the source.

the portico with silk was my first choice
and the bg1 my last in this test.

nice playing by the way.
thanks
rsp
10th March 2006
Old 10th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
I agree the mic positioning changed dramatically for that BG1 take.
I can assure you, the positioning wasnt that dramatic as you may think, we're talkin a inch or two in one direction or the other (L/R), the mics were never moved, they were about 16 inches apart, and the guitar was about a foot away from them.
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can assure you, the positioning wasnt that dramatic as you may think, we're talkin a inch or two in one direction or the other
My bad choice of words... I think the main difference was that the BG1 is somewhat louder in the left channel, and the others are mostly weaker in the left... makes for an overall bigger contrast

Nice piano work, thanks. That's a good variety of different preamp tones, and a good matched set of clips to learn from. The BG1 is clear, no doubt. I had not heard the Portico silk, that is a very emotional sound.

Steve
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

please lets not discuss this reverse channels, volume thing any longer........thanks to Tom for putting the samples together....awesome.

cheers
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

i think the portico sounds "creamier" with nicer low mids.........
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I played 2 songs, recorded it via midi so that the performance would be the same each time passing through the pres...this was off my Yamaha S90 (AP: NaturlGrnd - preset used). These are a little of 2 mins long each, I tried to play hard and soft, high and low, modern and classical to give an idea of what it sounds like.
Thanks, Tom, for another nice examples ... To my ears BG sounded more clean and open, with more sparkling quality. Both Porticos were a tiny bit "veiled" comparing to it ...
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Gear addict

No problem...on a totaly different note, I once went to Czech, probably close to where you are, we spent 1 week in the moutains north of prague, it was apparently pretty close to Poland, I went to some town that had a huge ski thing, like a slope to jump off of, seemed like a touristy area, we just dropped off a guy to catch a bus back to prague...anyways, pretty part of the world there
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem...on a totaly different note, I once went to Czech, probably close to where you are, we spent 1 week in the moutains north of prague, it was apparently pretty close to Poland, I went to some town that had a huge ski thing, like a slope to jump off of, seemed like a touristy area, we just dropped off a guy to catch a bus back to prague...anyways, pretty part of the world there
Tom, quite incredible ! I was really round the corner ... Next time you go there, let me know !
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Gear addict

that was almost 2 years ago, it was a mission trip...i actually had no idea where we were, until after it was over...anyways, like i said, really pretty part of the world out there
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to sunflute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek
To my ears BG sounded more clean and open, with more sparkling quality. Both Porticos were a tiny bit "veiled" comparing to it ...
Thank you Tom for the samples.

I agree with Ivo, the Porticos sound nice but a bit veiled. The BG1 sounds like it has more presence around the high mids and also the bass, which I guess that is why it's sounding bigger to my ears. I like the sound of BG1 a lot.

Again, I am really curious to hear how the Bg1 stacks up against the Millennia.

I am looking forward to your samples Ivo. Some else on Gearslutz mentioned that the BG1 is fantanstic on flute, which is why I am so interested in it. I have the Millennia but I am wondering if I might do better for flute with the BG1.

Thank you
Peace
Marco
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
I have both millennia and BG-1, but unfortunately two days ago I sold my sound devices 722 for a sound devices 744t that will not be here for a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflute
Thank you Tom for the samples.

I agree with Ivo, the Porticos sound nice but a bit veiled. The BG1 sounds like it has more presence around the high mids and also the bass, which I guess that is why it's sounding bigger to my ears. I like the sound of BG1 a lot.

Again, I am really curious to hear how the Bg1 stacks up against the Millennia.

I am looking forward to your samples Ivo. Some else on Gearslutz mentioned that the BG1 is fantanstic on flute, which is why I am so interested in it. I have the Millennia but I am wondering if I might do better for flute with the BG1.

Thank you
Peace
Marco
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some else on Gearslutz mentioned that the BG1 is fantanstic on flute, which is why I am so interested in it. I have the Millennia but I am wondering if I might do better for flute with the BG1.

Thank you
Peace
Marco
Hi Marco, I hope BG will do better not only on flute ... Violin, viola and my bamboo flutes are the only instruments where Pendulum does not excel over Millennia. Yet, I would like to hear those a bit more full and lively than HV-3 offers. Hopefully BG1 will be the right ticket ... As I already said, I like less and less a kind of dry, hyperrealistic rendering of the sound. Recording process is based on creating a big illusion anyway..And I like to have a nice illusion ...
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone who wants to send me their BG1, I'll do some cuts with it and the Hv3 and post them.
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRay
I have both millennia and BG-1, but unfortunately two days ago I sold my sound devices 722 for a sound devices 744t that will not be here for a week or so.
Hello BigRay,

Will you please post samples once you get your SD 744t? Thank you in advance if you do....

Peace
Marco
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
Quote:
Hello BigRay,

Will you please post samples once you get your SD 744t? Thank you in advance if you do....

Peace
Marco
of course!

teddy
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello BigRay,

Peace
Marco
To determine what, exactly?
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

After hearing those clips...would you guys still describe the bg1 having a sweet top?
Is it just me who thinks it is everything else then sweet....
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt
To determine what, exactly?
Hello David,

To determine basic sound differences between the BG1 and Millennia Media HV-3.
The HV-3 sounds great and it is very transparent but perhaps it lacks that “larger than life” kind of sound that the BG1 seems to be displaying (while retaining clarity and transparency).

Peace
Marco
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander
After hearing those clips...would you guys still describe the bg1 having a sweet top?
Is it just me who thinks it is everything else then sweet....
guess you didnt like it, haha...i personally would like to hear a pacifica since those get so much hype on here, i know its more of a color amp, but still, that would be the next pre I'd check into personally, I really like rack mountable pres, right now having 2 pres that dont rack kinda sucks...but they sound really good, so i'm not gonna complain
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search