Desert Island Two Channel (for the mobile guys)
Unbound
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear maniac

Talking Desert Island Two Channel (for the mobile guys)

I'm looking for some input, and would like to know what some field/mobile guys would choose.

Make your ultimate two channel system based upon:
Cost not being an option
There is no such thing as an AC outlet
You will be recording a variety of music and spoken word
You must get the best capture on site in stereo

Thanks,
Aaron
0VU
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
0VU
Gear addict

I'd like an Aaton Cantar-X, half a dozen Schoeps mics with assorted capsules, some Sennheiser 441s and 421s, an RE20, a couple of C414s, stands/booms, cables and Rycotes as appropriate, a pair of Sennheiser HD650 or Sony 7509 headphones and a solar powered battery charger.

Should cover most things.

Or did you want a really specific and properly considered answer?
Unbound
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear maniac

No that's appropriate enough, if you think it is.

I don't know about the Senneheisers myself, I was thinking a neumann and some schoeps with all the capsule options.

You'd go with an Cantar over the laptop/daw configurations avaiable right now?

Regards,
Aaron
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Lives for gear

My Nagra V, a couple of Schoeps CMC521's, or the MS pair. That's it. The Nagra runs for 11 hrs on one battery charge and has excellent preamps. Sound is superlative, and for the second most important feature, the ergonomics of this machine are simply the best.

See my like minded friend Greg Simmon's experiences here of a similar setup. I turned him on to this setup after my very favourable experiences.
http://www.schoeps.de/PDFs/PAA-05-2005-Simmons.pdf
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Guru

Hm. No AC? Metric Halo's ULN-2, hands down. Great pres any way you slice it. Bus powerable. Great convertors.
28th January 2006
Old 28th January 2006
Lives for gear

I had to power my entire mobile truck off solar panels once for Kronos Quartet remote sessions. You can do a LOT off solar power!!!! Sooooooo,
Pair of Neumann M-57 mics with PSU/pattern selector
Aurora GTQ-2 Mk III stereo preamp/EQ
Neve 33609 compressor
ATR 2-track 1" master recorder.

I know that maintaining the Neumann capsules and the ATR on a desert island will suck balls, though!

JvB
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

the nagra v and my AKG 426b SPAudio Modded. 9 polar patterns...
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Gear maniac

Having used neither the Nagra nor the Cantar, I can say that I am quite happy with the Sounddevices 744T. It is a four track recorder that does 24/96 has a 40 gig drive standard and runs off standard Sony spec Li Ion batteries.

It has only two mic pres so if you wish to go four track, as I need to sometimes, I add the SD 442 their four channel mixer. This gives me six mic input options going to four tracks and plenty of routing options.

Re. mics, my favorite mic for location is Senn MD 441 for overall versatility. Since most of work involves close micing, I need mics without proximity effects and that usually means EVs RE 20/27/16. Also a couple of good omnis like the EV 635a. As an added plus all these mics are rugged and virtually indestructible.

Baithak
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

How about the grace Lunatec?
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Rumours are...something special is in store for the v3....I dont really care for the grace v2/v3/201 but many of my friends use it. i am curious as to what will happen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S
How about the grace Lunatec?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search