Is a Ribbon mic for live acoustic a bad idea?
JCBitB
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Head

Is a Ribbon mic for live acoustic a bad idea?

I've got a live gig to record featuring a few solo acoustic singers, and I would love to throw up a Royer 122 but I'm wondering if that rear lobe is going to cause headaches with feedback and such since vocals will be coming out of the PA.

I think the PA is their only monitoring too, last time I was there I didn't see any wedges. It's a smallish place that doesn't like to crank it up too btw
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

I wouldn't be too concerned about feedback. Ribbons are very directional and the rear pickup is in opposite polarity to the input signal. (Edit: you may still get feedback from direct rear pickup but the off axis rejection or ribbons makes that unlikely)
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
To be clear, the rear has zero off-axis rejection. ...Because it is on-axis. So if you are in a small hall with PA signal bouncing off the back wall, the pattern will not help you.

If you are in a space where the main source of feedback is the PA speakers at the sides of the stage or a monitor below the performer, it's possible to use the nulls of the ribbon to reduce feedback.

However, per usual, mic placement will play the biggest factor. You can play with an omni on stage as long as you have it close enough to the source.

GO FORTH AND CONQUER. Let us know how you like it.
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think usually you don't see them because of the expense associated.

When I'm doing my live gigs, I'm not the only one touching stuff.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search