Recording Jazz, best external mics for H4N
New Reply
Subscribe
tenorsax82
30th November 2010
Old 30th November 2010
Gear interested

Recording Jazz, best external mics for H4N

I have a micro-track II recorder. Thinking of getting a Zoom H4N for the extra 2 channels it brings. Wondering what external mics would work best for recording live jazz in small clubs in NYC. 2 more condensor mics? When I have used my microtrack II, I can't get the right balance I am looking for. I was thinking with 2 external mics it could balance it out a bit more. I like the sound of ribbons, but I don't think any field record has the power for them. I bought a pair of Cascade Fatheads that I think I wasted my money on because I can't seem to use them without having to bring a bunch of other stuff out to the gig. And the ribbons are way too fragile. I just want something small, simple, and easy to help get a better balance, and hopefully a nice warm sound for recording jazz. You dig? Help please!
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorsax82 View Post
I have a micro-track II recorder. Thinking of getting a Zoom H4N for the extra 2 channels it brings. Wondering what external mics would work best for recording live jazz in small clubs in NYC. 2 more condensor mics? When I have used my microtrack II, I can't get the right balance I am looking for. I was thinking with 2 external mics it could balance it out a bit more. I like the sound of ribbons, but I don't think any field record has the power for them. I bought a pair of Cascade Fatheads that I think I wasted my money on because I can't seem to use them without having to bring a bunch of other stuff out to the gig. And the ribbons are way too fragile. I just want something small, simple, and easy to help get a better balance, and hopefully a nice warm sound for recording jazz. You dig? Help please!
Ribbon are OK but require either a super quiet recorder with tons of gain or a pre-amp which is quiet.

If you are in a good room use the DPA 4060. It is electret: it runs on 9 volts. It has an XLR connector which just steps the voltage down to 9 volts. You need a good room as it is an omni or need to get really close, for the same reason.

Sound Professionals sell small, simple, and inexpensive Sennheiser and AT electrets which are cardioid. I bought a pair of each brand from them and they are good. Microphone Madness makes them,too. Ooops, I think I got both pair from MM. anyway, they were ~$250 a pair. Electrets do not suck power like phantom power mics do, either.

Poke around over at Taperssection as they do a lot of recording with electrets there. They call it "stealth" recording. You go somewhere and record things that you have been asked not to record. That's their bag over there.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear nut

FWIW, for a small room I'd stick with cardiod pair for a small (presumably bad-sounding) room. If you do use omnis, make sure you pack the ensemble and mics in really tight, and make sure the drummer can play very sensitively.

Cheers

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search