Subscribe
philper
6th October 2010
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Question FostexD2424lv mkII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria
Is there anybody here who have some experience with FostexD2424lv mkII? I don't see many people using this. I wonder why?

External drive port is SCSI? I see they are selling a version now with an internal CF drive...kind of cool--I've had VERY good luck w/ CF in my Sound Devices recorders. (2.5 hrs on a 32 GB card...but it would need to be a fast card...) For me, re video, TC option doesn't offer 23.98.... I wasn't clear from the website exactly what format it records in, and if there is a translation needed to get the files off as wavs.... This machine has been avail in some form for a long time, and pro recordists went w/ the Alesis, even with the features the Fostex has and a comparable price, so.... I'd be curious if anyone here is using one of these regularly on location instead of other alternatives. (I've considered one of these for a backup to my laptop based rigs.)

(Looked at the manual--it looks like the CF card is there as a way of getting files off the recorder easily--converting
the proprietary record format to wavs on the way to the CF. Anyone tried this?)

phil p
6th October 2010
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

whats encouraging about the fostex is they clearly state it is suitable for recording live gigs.. Which might suggest they have tested and/or addressed any drop outs problems from high SPL..

The CF thing for transfer would be easy enough and the other features for the price look quite good.. Id be interested to hear any experiences from people who have one also.. It doesnt look to be discontinued so maybe it will gain a bit more popularity after the HD24 fades away..
philper
7th October 2010
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Well, this is an illustration of what I said about the Fostex, I think. The fact that no one has claimed to be using it or have much of any experience with it on this forum tells me that knowledgeable folks thought it not worth the trouble. We are a curious bunch, so I don't believe that any tool from a well-known manufacturer like Fostex would be overlooked by accident....

phil p
7th October 2010
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

I can't tell you anything specific about the 2424 but I can say that I have been using a Fostex D824 for quite a few years as the backup recorder for my 8 channel remote rig and it has been infinitely more reliable than the recorders I've used in the #1 position (and they cost 5-10 times more).
As far as I can tell the D824 and the D2424LV are closely related.
7th October 2010
Old 7th October 2010
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Alesis states that the HD24XR was not designed for live recording, but Fostex clearly states it is indeed intended for live recording use...

After owning five HD24XRs with no issues whatsoever, I feel like buying a few more of these puppies.

I wanted at least one more, so I can have three dual (pairs) systems, but I might as well buy another two just because I can.
7th October 2010
Old 7th October 2010
Banned

I have owned and used the D2424, but it has been at least 5-6 years ago. I remember it worked, which is more I can say for the HD24 I had. I know Steve and others have had nothing but good experiences with their HD24's, but I will never buy another one again. I liked the detachable face plate of the D2424. It didn't matter where I put the recorder, I could set the faceplate on the console to keep a visual on it. I don't remember why I got rid of it and I also don't remember the file transfer process. Likely, they were both related.
7th October 2010
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
I have owned and used the D2424, but it has been at least 5-6 years ago. I remember it worked, which is more I can say for the HD24 I had. I know Steve and others have had nothing but good experiences with their HD24's, but I will never buy another one again.
If i had my time again and knowing what i know now, i wouldnt buy another HD24.. Given i really only bought it for live work, id probably try the fostex since they explictly mention its good for live recording..
7th October 2010
Old 7th October 2010
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

I see a lot of deli shops in NYC that call themselves gourmet, but I'm not certain they truly are.

That being said, I'm sure Fostex built a fine live multi-track recorder.
I'm just looking at the big picture with regard to manufacturer claims and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
If i had my time again and knowing what i know now, i wouldnt buy another HD24.. Given i really only bought it for live work, id probably try the fostex since they explictly mention its good for live recording..
8th October 2010
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I see a lot of deli shops in NYC that call themselves gourmet, but I'm not certain they truly are.

That being said, I'm sure Fostex built a fine live multi-track recorder.
I'm just looking at the big picture with regard to manufacturer claims and such.
Fair enough, im not sure the fostex would be any better, its just my frustration with the HD24 drops outs ive had.. I dont see much chance of me selling the HD24 anytime soon though, and even if i did sell it i would want to know its primarily for a studio and not live work.. Anytime ive used mine in a studio enviroment or even just bands at rehearsal without a FOH PA its never faultered..
8th October 2010
Old 8th October 2010
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Do that important test.
This should say a lot.
You may find a solution for your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
Fair enough, im not sure the fostex would be any better, its just my frustration with the HD24 drops outs ive had.. I dont see much chance of me selling the HD24 anytime soon though, and even if i did sell it i would want to know its primarily for a studio and not live work.. Anytime ive used mine in a studio enviroment or even just bands at rehearsal without a FOH PA its never faultered..
8th October 2010
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Do that important test.
This should say a lot.
You may find a solution for your problem.
You are right.. I'll definately post back when ive had a chance to look at it.
8th October 2010
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

I had a Fostex DV2424LV and used it to record one live show (that needed 24 tracks) and in my studio. I thought it was great. No problems. Sounded fine and the detachable remote was very useful.
If I needed something like that again, I'd consider it (although the JoCoe Black Box would probably grab me more) JoeCo - Home of the BlackBox Recorder
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear interested

An old thread, I know, but I thought it was worth a reply in support of the Fostex DV2424LV.

I am not at all experienced, but I wanted something more capable than my Zoom H4N to record both myself and any live music that I might get to record, and didn't want to use a computer. I paired it up with an A&H Zed R16 and it has worked superbly. I have had no problems, other than due to my inexperience.

I have probably not recorded more than 8 tracks all at once, but what work I have done with it, it has performed faultlessly. I use the compact flash drive to download the stereo tracks that I have mixed down to, and whilst a fairly painless operation, does take some time.

There are a number of features available on the DV2424 that I have just not got around to using. Any editing of files - removal of intros and applause etc -I have carried out with Cubase LE4 that came with the Zed R16. So I didn't get away from computers in the end.

The use of the Adat connections between the Zed R16 and the DV2424 make multi-tracking a very simple affair. As has been said, the removable front and the extension lead is an extremely useful feature.

I found the internal fan to be quite noisy, particularly when using it in my small home studio. I replaced the fan with a super quiet fan (an easy job), and now the noise is far more acceptable - mainly coming from the disk drive.

I don't have enough experience to compare the sound from the HD24 and the DV2424, but from all accounts it is minimal, and I am sure there are more important things to consider such as mike placement, room acoustics etc than nitpick over one sounding better than the other.

In a live recording environment what is important to me is: is it simple to use and is it stable and reliable. For me it passes on all counts. And, of course, it is still available new!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search