Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
just got my 24....definately worth waiting for...all i can say is....it works!
Oh man, I envy u so much!!
Old 10th June 2011
Gear interested

you have some chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
just got my 24....definately worth waiting for...all i can say is....it works!
and your first impressions are....
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolsixteen View Post
and your first impressions are....
Looks like he's too busy playing with the console. Got his priorities straight. But yeah, looking forward to his comments also.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Well...so far so good!...i like this desk....like it very much.
Initially a little worried over the 'live desk' attributes in a more studio type room but i have realised that this is a very well thought through decision as it leaves certain aspects, such as control room features, very open to customization to suit the type of situation, room and budget.This has the advantage of keeping cost down and the desk focussed on quality of sound and variety of connectivity.
It's a real joy to access the outboard on the inserts, and again, a myriad of different set ups are possible.
I have gone for a more 'In the box' type approach allowing me to leave the faders set and assign audio to a fixed array of outboard when ever the feeling strikes me, whilst using Logic to dictate the overview on balance.
Still have a lot to discover....but Venice f has great potential and i'm very happy so far.
Scruffy
Old 11th June 2011
Gear addict

Well , just about when I wanted to write about a similar situation,(desk ordered,money payed 2 1/2 month ago) Bamm the desk has arrived! It will serve a dual purpose; my friend (who ordered and was very nervous because of the delay) will use it for his band and also will be used in our studio. Right now I'm waiting for him to call me, to go for some testing .
I'll keep you updated .

Edit: I forgot to mention, the desk is F24
Old 11th June 2011
Gear interested

Sounds great Scruffy, I will be using it in a similar way with Logic as well. I like that on some synths which have ext ins through the filter etc then I can connect those to an aux and send any sound from the desk through the filter without the need for a patchbay
Old 12th June 2011
Gear addict

Ok, I'm back. On the rear you find a plaque with the serial nr. and the build date. It says 25/05/2011, so this unit is not even a month old!!! I guess that says a lot for the people, who are still waiting for the desks.
The build quality is very good.The pots sit well on the panels.Don't turn very easy, but not particulary hard either. I'll think they nailed that very well.
The coarse of the faders is also good, they lean well and the tactil response/feedback is "constant"(it is not changing and does not require different "force").
The pots of the eq section have an interesting layout.They are a little close to each other, (i don't have small fingers) but not that crowded. Nevertheless, you have to pay a little attention of what you doing there, but that's not a bad thing. And the order of the mid section: high mid freq/gain q /low mid q freq/gain.

The sound is amazing.I never expected to be that good. It blows me away.
It is a little bit darker (in a very good way), but NOT muddy.It is very close to a " console" sound. Has quite a presence, but not fatiguing and very clean in the low mids .The hp filters are very good, not to agressive but doing their job.Initially when saw them to be at 80 hz and not 75 i've found that odd, but now I actually prefer them there.
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr View Post
Your impressions removed for brevity
That's great to know man, I'm sure now that everybody who ordered one will be even more looking forward to work with it.
Old 20th June 2011
Gear maniac

Let's get some info on the FireWire bus! Converter quality? Round trip latency? Driver quality? What's it sound like compared to other converters? How's it handle pro tools 9? Any latency monitoring capability built into the drivers?

Can't wait to hear more when you guys can pry yourselves away from them. Or maybe you should just sit your laptop on the desk while you post
Old 20th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post

When I said XL I was referring to the XL2/3/4/8 etc. The XL-series Midas desks are PROPER Midas desks. The Heritage Midas desks are PROPER Midas desks. The Pro series Midas desks are.... OK you get it.

The Venice, Verona, and Sienna, however, are different. They do not share the circuitry that makes 'Proper' Midas desks what they are. They are 'good' live desks that sit on the same ground as the other mid-range Live desks from A&H (GL series / bigger ZED Series), Mackie Onyx, Soundcraft GB, etc; but they are not from the family that make Midas desks what they are...
The original Venice shares very little with the Verona and Sienna. I don't really think you can throw them all in one category. The original Venice was manufactured in Germany at the Dynacord plant.

XL isn't really a very useful category either. The XL2/XL3/XL4 certainly represent a logical progression of development. But, the XL200 does not share the same discrete mic pre. And obviously, the XL8 sits in a totally different category.

As with most companies these days, Midas caters to several market segments. There are several criteria for evaluating the quality of a desk. One might consider build quality, sound quality, or feature set. Both the original Venice and new F-series Venice consoles certainly have a more minimal feature set than the larger desks. But this in no way necessarily means the sound quality should be of lower quality.

An objective analysis reveals that the Venice actually has a cleaner and shorter signal path. Of special note are the absence of the VCA or SIS panning system in the signal path. Both of the aforementioned technologies increase functionality, but would theoretically affect audio quality.

I am looking at the schematic for the original Venice as I type. I see a discrete mic pre and only five active stages between input and direct output. I'd say that could be a pretty nice signal path for recording. This definitely squares with my experience of the desk. I'd say the Venice sounds fantastic.

Regards,

Mike
Old 26th June 2011
Gear interested

New firewire card ?

Hello, on the french forum they say that the firewire has be changed....so i decide to go on the midas website and i load the new midas firewire's brochure and surprise : they say it could work on 24 bit !
yes,yes,yes
Old 26th June 2011
Gear interested

Mine (F 24) arrives from KMR Audio tomorrow, after a long wait... apparently one of the last of the UK-made batch before production moves to China.

I'll be happy to share experiences, but partly owing to home/studio relocation it will be a while before I can use it in a studio context.

It will be seeing live use very soon though!
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Head

What a colossal circle jerk!

The posts went from

everything made in China sucks

and

the guys at Midas will do whatever their new masters tell them to

to

Behringer won't mess things up - they might learn some things about quality

and

Some of the contract manufacturers in China are good - Cisco and Apple make some of their stuff over there.

Good luck with your new Chinese-made Behringers with the upscale label. Do let everyone know how great they are and how they still blow away Soundcraft and A&H.
Old 27th June 2011
Super Moderator

Perhaps, believing everything you read online is not the best way to address what you take in from the various online forums including this one.

Take it with a grain of salt, but consider taking inventory of what folks say and have said in the past...

*Are they qualified?
*Do you trust them?
*Is there an agenda?
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
Mine (F 24) arrives from KMR Audio tomorrow, after a long wait... apparently one of the last of the UK-made batch before production moves to China.
I thought production already moved to China, hence the delay in receiving units. You're certain you're going to get a UK made console?
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

To Bandorr or Scruffy Dog ...

I'm sure you're having a lot of Fun playing with your New Consoles. Can you keep some of us filled in while you work with them? Any info would be of interest right now.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23xyz View Post

The posts went from

everything made in China sucks

and

the guys at Midas will do whatever their new masters tell them to

to

Behringer won't mess things up - they might learn some things about quality

and

Some of the contract manufacturers in China are good - Cisco and Apple make some of their stuff over there.

Good luck with your new Chinese-made Behringers with the upscale label. Do let everyone know how great they are and how they still blow away Soundcraft and A&H.
Not a colossal circle jerk, just a typical day at the GS.

If the distributor is right, my F32 should be here in about 2 weeks. I demoed the F16, that's why in the end, I ordered an F32 a few months ago. I liked what I saw, lifted, felt and heard. Of course, the unit I played with was made in England. Still don't know if the console I'll receive will be England or China made.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

hey ray....well....i'm probably not the best person for in depth comparisons as regards test bench type stuff, but the sound to me is very good and the features too. The desk has a serious amount of output (for all seasons!) so i have employed good quality pads on the main / local output to my speakers.
I have not really noticed the firewire much...just press that little green button and up comes the audio as assigned from logic's /Ableton's output selection...then engage the e.q and inserts as required.
I'm still getting used to the e.q but it is very complimentary and useful.
My plan is too do a lot of work 'in the box' in that regard and then use the desk e.q and outboard to taste...just like a dream really....pinch punch!!
i hope you get yours soon...was in KMR last week and did see a couple of the last UK F's boxed up and ready to go so...soon i hope...but life IS short and i hope the F is going to help me be more productive and happier with my sound once i get the flow of things fully.....it really has pleased me so far! my previous set up was really very frustrating by comparison .
scruffy
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23xyz View Post
I think that had more to do with Some over-opinionated poster earlier in the thread ..
Old 1st July 2011
Gear interested

Picked up my F32 today. First batch that arrived in Norway and I think I was the first one to pick one up. Serial no. 45, manufactured 26.5.11 in China so about a month old. No review will be coming from me until later this autumn though, building my studio now and nowhere else to put it. Haven't even powered it up and still in the plastic wrapping. Decided that I better focus on my studio build first and get that done. Sorry guys. But good thing is that they are on their way out to people
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvorB View Post
Picked up my F32 today. First batch that arrived in Norway and I think I was the first one to pick one up. Serial no. 45, manufactured 26.5.11 in China so about a month old. No review will be coming from me until later this autumn though, building my studio now and nowhere else to put it. Haven't even powered it up and still in the plastic wrapping. Decided that I better focus on my studio build first and get that done. Sorry guys. But good thing is that they are on their way out to people
I know Midas has a 3 years warranty on these, but since they're being built in China now, you're not going to fire it up, at least to make sure it's working properly? You're either a brave, brave man, or a man of impeccable faith
Old 2nd July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
I know Midas has a 3 years warranty on these, but since they're being built in China now, you're not going to fire it up, at least to make sure it's working properly? You're either a brave, brave man, or a man of impeccable faith
Haha, both I guess. But I worked for the importer until last month so if I should find anything wrong it won't be a problem for me getting it fixed/returned. With the work I'm doing in my basement I want to keep it protected from dust as long as possible. Yesterday I basically covered the whole house, three floors, with concrete dust making my door opening wider. Even with all doors shut, it was insane... Haven't even looked at it since I put the box down when I came home. Never use that room anyway
Old 10th August 2011
Gear nut

So, anyone used the VeniceF in (osx, protools/cubase?) studio environment yet? How does it perform?
Old 15th August 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
So, anyone used the VeniceF in (osx, protools/cubase?) studio environment yet? How does it perform?
I'm also curious about this... Any hands on experiences to relate with this board yet? I'd especially like to know how it does using ProTools 9 with analog summing, as well as the sound quality of the DACs.

BTW, as far as pricing, the F32 is now available for a retail price of $6000 in the US, bundled with a "free" copy of Pro Tools 9. IMO that's what you'd call a studio in a box, that doesn't suck.
Old 21st August 2011
Gear interested
As an interface for Pro Tools 9, it works well. There are a few things that i would change but for the money you cannot beat the F series. I love the way the desk sounds and the faders are really nice considering the low cost of the F series. I am not a big fan of the I/O scheme. Analog 1-2, the default stereo bus out for Pro Tools, is actually Channel 1-2 of the Midas. If you want to analog buss directly to the stereo buss of the Midas you are out of luck. In that I like to keep things one for one, and I do not want to change every session I have to Analog 31-32, this is a problem.

You need to weigh what your needs really are. If you want better sonic quality than any other desk in this price range, you will not beat the Midas F series. If you are looking for the Holy Grail of low cost recording consoles the lack of fader and pan automation might put you off. As for using the desk with plugins hosted by Pro Tools 9 as a live mixing desk, the latency is a problem. If there is a work around to the latency I have yet to find it. It works well with Mac but it is a bit glitchy with Windows 7.

Personally I would buy the Midas F32, 8 channels of gates, 16 channels of comp/lim, two great verbs, a TC D2 delay, a Klark DN 360 and go old school with this as a live desk with multitrack recording capability. I would rather have a low end Midas mix desk and a rack of processing than any Yamaha desk that does it all in one package.

Last edited by Abney Road; 21st August 2011 at 05:18 PM..
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abney Road View Post
I am not a big fan of the I/O scheme. Analog 1-2, the default stereo bus out for Pro Tools, is actually Channel 1-2 of the Midas. If you want to analog buss directly to the stereo buss of the Midas you are out of luck. In that I like to keep things one for one, and I do not want to change every session I have to Analog 31-32, this is a problem.
I don't know if it might be relevant to your situation, but have you changed the WDM mapping in the Venice F Firewire console?
Old 27th August 2011
Gear nut

Or your setup template in Pro Tools for that matter.
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Any post scripts on Venice F please ?
Behringer makes 50,000 mixers a MONTH and has 0.1 % failure rate....
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

I simply can not see another affordable way to do what the F has done for my set up ...in that...if like me you have collected some outboard over the years but also want the more up to date 'in the box' thing going on..and also want to keep a midi rig in the picture....this desk is so good for the money.

As for the converters and firewire...i have had no reason to question the design or the sound.
I have an 'Apogee one' on hand if i want to disengage the studio quickly and have a listen to the box on it's own but i always miss the studio!
But i did migrate from a now very lowly digi 001 system...so the jump in quality to the F even at it's 44.1/24 bit config' was very pleasing.

As for the design and factory configuration...i see no problem....why would i want to buss directly to the main output or whatever when i have a perfectly stable chn 1+2 with very good optional e.q and inserts ...if you don't want to go through a desk why buy a desk??
I had an all analogue board (the Allen and Heath GS3/32...which i grew to dislike) so for my upgrade the Venice F has been the crux to bringing my past into the future in an unexpected way....allowing me to really blend my newer Mac/Logic system into the picture at a very reasonable cost.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear interested

Scruffy and Abney, thanks for your perspectives...

I definitely see a Midas console in my future. I really think they are underrepresented in studios. I know that they are designed for live use, and lack the comprehensive monitor section of a studio board as well as automation. But I don't see myself using automation on a regular basis anyway.

My main quandry, though, is to choose between the Midas Venice F, or a different Midas Console such as the Verona along with a RME Fireface UFX.

The Fireface would allow 24/96 recording, and also has a cool standalone mode which is a lot of capability in 1 rack space, and allows using a slow computer such as a netbook while portable.

But the Venice F has its pluses as well.

Opinions? Which would you rather have? A Venice F 32 or a Verona and a Fireface UFX?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search