Tags: , ,

Midas VeniceF-series
New Reply
Subscribe
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
yes, the midas guy told me that basically you can use every 3rd party plugin and DAW of choice...except...ProTools.
running a powerfull laptop is essential, he told me logic, cubase, everything works.
now that pro tools 9 is out you can use pro tools too

matt
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
At less than $5K street, I'll go for it instead of the new A&H...

Let's see how things go in a few months...
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod View Post
ABSOLUTELY missed the mark .. Venice F32: Firewire? Why? Run analog IO into AES PCIe or MADI PCIe and forget latency. FW is dead you brain dead MIDAS numbskulls .. imagine a console that doubles duty for studio and live usage as well. OMG! The Horror! ~fuggedaboudit!~ ~skygod~
Wow. A pretty harsh response don't you think? You seem to think Midas should be working overtime building a Bentley, for the price of a Ford Mondeo. And they'd better hurry the heck up about it by the sound of your post.

1. FW IS NOT DEAD. You're over-reacting. Sure, Apple have indicated it may be approaching it's shelf life. There will of-course be new interface/communcation protocols and standards. But the reality is that in 5 years time .. Lots of people will still be using Firewire & ADAT Lightpipe as well USB and MADI as well as whatever new standard comes along. The Firewire card is clearly the first option. It shouldn't take such a great mental leap to figure out that other cards will follow.

2. You want Zero Latency in DSP. That would be great and we'd all Love it. It costs money. If you were running Midas, would you be trying to make ALL of your other Flagship Consoles redundant with the release of 1 mid-low end console? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. And let's put AVID out of business while we're there. It's just not how business R&D and the "trickle down effect" work in music technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod View Post
imagine a console that doubles duty for studio and live usage as well. OMG! The Horror!
3. Exactly what this is. And they have listened to users. And I really don't know who you are to be calling the staff of Midas Numbskulls.

Midas may well have hit the mark, but we'll wait and see what end users have to say. Hopefully they've fixed some of the buggier aspects of the original Venice. As a FOH Live/Studio Monkey, I'm PSYCHED about this desk. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Anyhow .. Cheerio (As The Brits say .. ) RAy
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
now that pro tools 9 is out you can use pro tools too
Agreed. Hello Boys! No more lugging ProTools rigs/interfaces to record gigs. Nice One Midas.

I'm stoked that the EQ is modelled on the XL3's EQ. One of my favourites. Good choice.

Cheers RAy
4th December 2010
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

can anyone confirm.......

digital i/o is on a card and can be changed ?

any idea of other card formats ? I really want adat to use my RME interfaces
4th December 2010
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

So the 16 channel board can still bring in/out 32x32? or only 24 and 32 track boards or is guy misspeaking at around 3:00....

8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
can anyone confirm.......

digital i/o is on a card and can be changed ?

any idea of other card formats ? I really want adat to use my RME interfaces
I had asked if you could replace the firewire card in the future below is the reply I got. Drop them an email they will get back to you.

Quote:
The firewire PCB board in the VeniceF is a separate sub-assembly, and the FW port is mounted on a removable panel, so yes, there is provision for us to replace the firewire interface with an alternative format in future. This may not be something it will be possible to retro-fit.
Which digital format do you think will replace firewire?

8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

i'll send them an email

im sure they have thought about adat though , just look at all the non computer stand alone digital recorders . FW will be no use to them.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter View Post
Slug,

The page on Midas site says there's a pre/post EQ switch per channel for the direct out and on many of their other consoles when you switch pre-EQ you also switch pre-insert. I suspect they'd keep the same routing structure.

As to your working method questions there's a few things to consider. You can keep your faders at unity and mix in the box no problem but your gonna LOVE getting your hands on the nice 100mm faders and using what is probably gonna be some pretty killer channel EQ (4 band parametric taken from the XL3 which is legendary in the live community) Once you get used to a console mix on a board like that one your probably gonna wanna do it a lot more. And the other is you know charting 24-26 faders really isn't much work at all. Hell you could just shoot some pics or video with your phone these days. Charting and recalling EQ would be more involved but I think you'll find it's worth it. And you would most likely just use DAW automation for fader moves and such. It would be a delight. Either way you'd have a seriously useful bit of kit that sounds great for stems, monitoring, interfacing outboard, and tracking with great pre's.

It's not got everything I'd really like in console at that price but I am fascinated by the things I could do with the firewire buss for live sound work. Would being able to multitrack through midas pre's into any DAW w/o any other hardware make up for being stuck with 4 groups, 6 auxes (with still somewhat limited routing?) It might. Will the firewire buss be stable and fast enough for me to to be able to insert plugins in groups or channels w/o latency problems? I can't wait to find out.

We'll find out when the manual drops and they let us know pricing and if they're gonna charge extra for the firewire "option." That would be a seriously bad move I think.
Good points. This is a beautiful board. Would like the fully parametric EQ in the GSR24 because my main need is mixing. Could grab a Summit Audio EQ200 or get a 500 series rack with a handfull of EQs and still won't cost as much as the GSR24. This is definitely a serious contender even for studio. I would go with a Apogee Symphony 64 card and the Symphony with for conversion though. NOW I AM in the GSR24 price range. Just got my R16 a few days ago. Still building. These are exciting times.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

their very quick response:

Thanks for the mail, and for your interest in our new console.
The digital I/O hardware on the VeniceF has, as you have spotted, been designed as a separate sub-assembly. Our intention is to be able to offer other formats at some time in the future, however, we do not have any timescales or final decisions as to alternative protocols at present.
ADAT would be a good fit with the VeniceF - thanks for your feedback!

Kind Regards,

FERRIDAY Richard
Manager, Brand Development

If this is a as good as the venice in terms of build quality and sound quality I am all over it . I was hanging out for a ZED R24 but it morphed into a GSR24 and now is a bit to over priced for an allen and heath desk for my liking . I can handle dumping 6-7k on a midas desk much better.

lets just pray the evil hand of behringer takes no part
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear addict

are these out yet? I cannot find any official price info as well.
13th December 2010
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

13th December 2010
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Head

Can't seem to find specs on the digital portion, so maybe I'm missing something? If this does A/D/A conversion...

At what sample rates?
What's the digital format (ADAT, AES, etc)?
What about drivers?

Or maybe I REALLY don't get it and you still need a good converter? OK, back to drinking coffee (maybe that will help).
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79strat View Post
Can't seem to find specs on the digital portion, so maybe I'm missing something? If this does A/D/A conversion...

At what sample rates?
What's the digital format (ADAT, AES, etc)?
What about drivers?

Or maybe I REALLY don't get it and you still need a good converter? OK, back to drinking coffee (maybe that will help).
you dont need a converter , it does 32channel i/o via firewire

maybe other protocols supported in the future

it will require midas drivers , we don't know how good they will be or what sample rates are supported yet
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Head

OK, that's what I thought (hoped) but didn't see any mention of drivers, which I know from much personal experience, make or break whether a device even works.
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Wow. I wonder if it's made in the same factory as the previous Venice. I believe it's a Bosch factory in Germany. I love the old Venice. Built like a tank and great sounding. Hope this isn't from the Behringer factory...
I'm afraid it's Behringer factory..
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
Gear nut

Exclamation

hello it's my first reply on Gearslutz!

I've sent a mail to Midas about USB3 for the new venice F and he answered me:

"We will keep an eye on how USB3 develops. USB2 was supposed to provide data speeds in excess of FireWire 400, but has yet to do so. If and when USB3 can be made to provide the high-speed performance needed, and when the necessary chipsets are available to us, we may consider offering it as an alternative.
"

otherwise, what about quality of this new mixing desk? is it the same quality as the first venice?
MichaelPatrick
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra View Post
I'm afraid it's Behringer factory..
Are you afraid or certain?

We all have fears now and then and most are best ignored, though others may save your life. If you know something please explain.
16th December 2010
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79strat View Post
OK, that's what I thought (hoped) but didn't see any mention of drivers, which I know from much personal experience, make or break whether a device even works.
im really hoping theres an adat card so I can use my RME interface and its drivers . im ok with sticking to 24/48 so I have no advantage to using FW for higher sampling rates

plus it makes the digital side of the desk future proof . if midas stop producing drivers ADAT should be around for long time

oh and you can digitally interface to non PC equipment also

win win win scenario

someone mentioned the pre-release desks are branded made in england , we don't know if the market release desk will be the same though . I have faith they will be the same quality though . its not like they are cheap so the can afford not to cut corners and ruin the midas name
16th December 2010
Old 16th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
Are you afraid or certain?

We all have fears now and then and most are best ignored, though others may save your life. If you know something please explain.
New Midas consoles are made in China. Of course you can check for F-Series at:

rob.hughes@midasklarkteknik.com

Good luck!!
MichaelPatrick
16th December 2010
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra View Post
New Midas consoles are made in China. Of course you can check for F-Series at:

rob.hughes@midasklarkteknik.com
So you want to send others to hunt for evidence to support your claim that the new Midas Venice series is made in a "Behringer factory.."?

Foxconn and some other contract manufacturers in China do excellent work. Apple uses Foxconn. That's not "Berhinger". Please check your facts and your logic before approaching the keyboard, that way you may even type something worth reading.
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Gear nut

What's up ?
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
So you want to send others to hunt for evidence to support your claim that the new Midas Venice series is made in a "Behringer factory.."?

Foxconn and some other contract manufacturers in China do excellent work. Apple uses Foxconn. That's not "Berhinger". Please check your facts and your logic before approaching the keyboard, that way you may even type something worth reading.
Foxconn also makes NVidia and Cisco products, as well. When you have the buying power and volumes of NVidia, Apple and Cisco, you get the best of Foxconn.

For every good CM in China (like Foxconn), there are ten CMs in China that truly suck. I know this from experience, not speculation.

Laser
23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I doubt that Midas would associate crap with their name.

Just sayin.......
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciozzi
so....no news? Did they announce the price yet?!?
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear addict

potentially the board would also work with PT 9....or am dreaming??
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
potentially the board would also work with PT 9....or am dreaming??
From what I understand, yes.
13th January 2011
Old 13th January 2011
Gear nut

yes for sure!
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
yes for sure!
Is Midas going to write a Windows ASIO driver, or is the PT9 support going to be Mac only?

I have pretty definite plans to get one of these consoles, sometime in the next year or so.

(First post BTW. Long time lurker. I've been in the GearSlutz closet so long that there's a Mackie 24/4 in there.)
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Is Midas going to write a Windows ASIO driver, or is the PT9 support going to be Mac only?
PT9 is for macOS and windows.
But midas doesn't make soundcard but only A/N N/A converters for the midas F, so they don't need drivers.

But the quality of the new midas F risks to be cheap unfortunately. The new klarks EQ DN370 "made in china" are very cheap (with the same price than the olds)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search