Recording strings for the first time
Andysw
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Gear maniac

Talking Recording strings for the first time

Hi guys,
I've got a two fold question.

I really wasn't sure where to post it so I hope this is ok.

I've written some 'film score' type music that I'm getting a "MOFO" violinist around to help record.
So far I have the parts all down as a full orchestra in MIDI, and i'm trying to work out what bits need replacing/masking by the live player to make it sound the best it possibly can.

I'm not massively worried about the actual recording technique,
Although welcome any suggestions

I'm more worried about how the flow will go on the day,
What should I try to plan ahead with to help things go smoothly, from a recording and production perspective?

So far i'd planned on having a CD of the MIDI sent to her early with a copy of the charts.
Obviously on recording day I'll be setup and ready to go with levels checked with a music stand and headphones setup comfortably in the room I want to record in, well before the player arrives.

Any help with preperation or tips from anyone who's recorded a string player in this setting to overdub many parts with the one player would be most appreciated

Cheers.
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

Can I suggest, setting up 5 or 6 chairs and having the player move to different chairs for each overdub.... changes the perspective a little and helps avoiding too much modulation... have 1 or 2 mics for 5 or 6 chairs.

Stef
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Gear addict

thats a GREAT method in a largeish room. In a smaller room you may wanna move the mic around for different parts.

To keep the flow going, I'd recommend loop recording sections as much as you can, let the player really get into it, rather than stopping and starting too much. Obviously you may need to stop to give some direction from time to time...
11th September 2010
Old 11th September 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
Can I suggest, setting up 5 or 6 chairs and having the player move to different chairs for each overdub.... changes the perspective a little and helps avoiding too much modulation... have 1 or 2 mics for 5 or 6 chairs.
Stef
Ask her to bring as many different instruments as possible - and/or borrow/hire some in yourself. That's what a real string section is made of: lots of different violins, each with its own tone and characteristics. This, plus mic perspective change on each take, works well for me.
14th September 2010
Old 14th September 2010
Gear maniac

if you have a multitude of microphones/tracks - just place them at different locations in the room and set the tracks as such (example with 3 mics)

Player position 1:
track 1 - mic 1
track 2 - mic 2
track 3 - mic 3
Player position 2:
track 5 - mic 1
track 4 - mic 2
track 6 - mic 3

THEN
after he leaves place a nice X-Y stereo pair in a a field of a 5.1 speakers and send
the tracks into evenly places in that field. record that and it will sound close to what you are looking for.

This is the state of the art in sweetening midi. Add the samples underneath.
15th September 2010
Old 15th September 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatstrings View Post
Ask her to bring as many different instruments as possible - and/or borrow/hire some in yourself. That's what a real string section is made of: lots of different violins, each with its own tone and characteristics. This, plus mic perspective change on each take, works well for me.
Ask her to bring as many musicians as possible too. That's what a real string section is made of.
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkbrass View Post
Ask her to bring as many musicians as possible too. That's what a real string section is made of.
LOL But that would make it more expensive.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search