NAGRA VI is now 8-channels!
New Reply
Subscribe
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah but ya bought a 6 channel machine.
Now it's an 8 channel machine.

If you need more channels just use a different machine. And surely you can just record a mix from your console on CH 1. Move everything else down a channel. What did you do when you used a dat or a IV-S? Now you have 8 channels.

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Gear nut

I have made do with the track count. I am just making improvement suggestions and they seem to be listening. If they will offer an upgrade or external AD converter then I will buy it. What is your problem with that?
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Gear nut

I would be more than happy to record a single mono file all the time and do in most cases, but that won't keep you on the job. Post now wants the iso track if they use them or not. I have thus far not needed more than six tracks, but can see it coming. I have many times used five tracks with two people in the scene. Two lavs, two booms and a mix.
11th September 2010
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomed View Post
No "Red Herring" intended. I own the recorder and love it. I do need to be able to run eight tracks on occassion and Nagra once again has underestimated needed track count for the market. Zaxcom will never recieve any more money from me, so the Nagra was the best choice for me. I use a Cooper Sound 208D mixer so the ideal situation for me is eight tracks to record prefader and a mix track. Most other recorders have eight inputs. Nagra has added two tracks to up the track count to eight, but not useful unless outboard (extra power) converters are used. Mix tracks on 7 and 8 are not useful to post production. They want a mix track on track one period. This way they can batch process. The other thing that would be nice is to be able to cross route input 1 to track 2. That way you couls assign a mix track to 1. still not greatly useful because it's not MY mix track from the mixer. Right now it is just two extra meters on the screen.
Are you sending digital audio from your Cooper to the Nagra? If your isos are analog, there must be some outboard convertor you might like that would allow you to send your 7/8 iso to the Nagra digital input? Perhaps an SD 744T--use the 3/4 inputs and outputs to convert your 7/8 iso to digital, and the 1/2 inputs and recorder to record your dailies mix? Since you like Nagra, if you CAN send digital isos to your Nagra 1-8, how about an LB for your 2-mix?

phil p
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Are you sending digital audio from your Cooper to the Nagra? If your isos are analog, there must be some outboard convertor you might like that would allow you to send your 7/8 iso to the Nagra digital input? Perhaps an SD 744T--use the 3/4 inputs and outputs to convert your 7/8 iso to digital, and the 1/2 inputs and recorder to record your dailies mix? Since you like Nagra, if you CAN send digital isos to your Nagra 1-8, how about an LB for your 2-mix?

phil p
Like one of these? New preamp/ADC shipping next month. $650.
It runs on USB power so you can just plug it into the Nagra VI, take one of those rechargeable 5v USB battery packs, or use a computer to provide power and back up the mix tracks.

It also works as a standalone mic preamp with balanced line-level XLR outputs.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...productid=1110
USBPre 2 Microphone Interface for Computer Audio | Sound Devices, LLC
Attached Thumbnails
NAGRA VI is now 8-channels!-usbpre2-425px.jpg  
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Gear nut

Well, the Nagra is a little short on USB connectors. I don't have the new keyboard connector but I need the upgrade. I have also tried using passive USB hubs and they won't work with the Nagra. This only allows one USB for a DVD RAM drive. Power isn't the issue.

Really, all I have been asking from my original post was if Nagra was going to release either an internal upgrade to add extra AD converters or an external solution. I would prefer to have the exact same converters that Nagra is using for the rest of the machine. This way it would have the exact same color and delay. That's all I was asking.

This would be a wonderful upgrade, and make this a really useful eight track/eight analog input recorder for my purpose. That was it. No RED HERRING
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Gear nut

My Cooper does not have the AD converters. Even if it did they can only be accessed from the four main output busses. This is of no help because the mix track has to be track one which has AD conversion. I could use the other three main outs for isos but it would not be prefader and is a waste of my other outputs that I need for feeds to backup recorders and such.
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Gear nut

Looks like no AES out on the USBPre2. It is only USB and SPDIF.
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomed View Post
Looks like no AES out on the USBPre2. It is only USB and SPDIF.

Shoul work fine with an RCA to XLR cable, problem is you could only do this with 2 channels as there is no way to clock the USB from a wordclock source and the Nagra does not have SRC. Better choice for a mobile application would be a Lunatec V3, ULN2 or ULN8, etc...
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I am going to get the 2 x USB mod done to my Nagra VI as it also ups the USB voltage
External harddisks on Nagra VI
the final solution of the last remaining problem I had with my Nagra VI

Had the mod for the second USB port done recently by the works. Cost CHF 385.- + VAT. (Hardware-Kit CHF 215.-; Labour 170.- +VAT).

Sent the Nagra VI on Monday evening and got it back on Thursday morning the same week! An absolutely outstanding service by Nagra !!

Some Media speed tests for 96k 24 bits gave the following results:

Internal harddisk WD 120GB WD1200BEVE-00WZT0
Cluster size 512 Bytes
Write 13.34 MB/s
Read 14.59 MB/s
Rec. capability 8 channels

CF SanDisk Ultra II 8GB SDCFH2-008G
Cluster size 512 Bytes
Write 7.01 MB/s
Read 5.97 MB/s
Rec. capability 8 channels

WD Passport essential 500GB (USB only) WD5000ME 00 210A
Cluster size 512 bytes
Write 3.89 MB/s
Read 3.93 MB/s
Rec. capability 6 channels

Plextor PX-PH320US/T3 320GB (USB + eSATA) Y-cable (both USB ports used for powering!)
Cluster size 512 Bytes
Write 3.90 MB/s
Read 3.95 MB/s
Rec. capability 6 channels

No more crashing of internal harddisk, when external harddisk is connected (definitely more USB current available).

Always record on internal harddisk (or adequate CF) and use external harddisks only with Copy function, where Media speed is not an issue.
25th September 2010
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to panatrope
Interesting. I also use a WD Essentials drive and it will copy a couple of GB in 2 minutes, from our location DAW. And I have recorded directly to it 10 channels of 24/48 without a hiccup. And powered from a single USB port.

Your results for it seem very slow. Any possibility it is being engaged as a USB1 device rather than a USB2 device? (There are two parties to this transaction.)
25th September 2010
Old 25th September 2010
Gear nut

Yes, these external harddisk speeds are somewhat disappointing on the Nagra VI.
They are roughly half of what Nagra claims as transfer speed (7.5 MB/s) for the direct connection of a Nagra VI to a DAW via USB link.
However it should be sufficient for using the background copy function of the Nagra VI while recording on its internal harddisk.

BTW the very same harddisks reach speeds between 18 MB/s and 22 MB/s when connected to my Lenovo T60 laptop and copying files under Windows Vista32.
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Gaston69 Send a message via Yahoo to Gaston69
How do I make a Headphone mix during recording?

Finally bought the Nagra VI, and I like it a lot however have not figured out how to make a Headphone mix of multiple track during recording.

Can somebody help me out?

Cheers,

Gaston

Want to Trade my Millennia HV-3D for an Aurora GTP8
John Willett
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Smile Re: How do I make a Headphone mix during recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Finally bought the Nagra VI, and I like it a lot however have not figured out how to make a Headphone mix of multiple track during recording.
You use the monitor switches on the front panel to route to left, centre or right.

Or, I think, use the internal mixer and set monitoring mode to "Mix if mon off" and set all monitor switches on the front panel to "off".

I hope this helps.

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
John Willett
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Exclamation Software version V3.03 is now available

Just noticed this:-

V3.03 is available for download now on the Nagra website.

Just a few little bug fixes by the looks of it.
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Gear maniac

Is the front panel of Nagra VI made of plastic? Or it is cut from aluminum? It looks like aluminum from the picture, and from my impression toward Nagra legendary machines. But I was told it is plastic.
John Willett
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean
Is the front panel of Nagra VI made of plastic? Or it is cut from aluminum? It looks like aluminum from the picture, and from my impression toward Nagra legendary machines. But I was told it is plastic.
It's a polymer, not aluminium. Aluminium would have added several hundred pounds to the price and would have put it in a price bracket that would have reduced sales and therefore the viability of the product.

Having it a polymer means that they can do different colour panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Just noticed this:-

V3.03 is available for download now on the Nagra website.

Just a few little bug fixes by the looks of it.
Thanks for the tip, John. Important, if you have two USB ports.
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

The front of my Nagra is red. They call it "the pimp machine."

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Aluminium would have added several hundred pounds to the price and would have put it in a price bracket that would have reduced sales and therefore the viability of the product.
Wait, a single die-cut aluminum panel costs hundreds of pounds wholesale? That doesn't make much sense.
John Willett
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post
Wait, a single die-cut aluminum panel costs hundreds of pounds wholesale? That doesn't make much sense.
I didn't say wholesale - I said retail, the end user cost of the machine.
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
Gear nut

Then that's some markup...
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
It's a polymer, not aluminium. Aluminium would have added several hundred pounds to the price and would have put it in a price bracket that would have reduced sales and therefore the viability of the product.

Having it a polymer means that they can do different colour panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
It's a pitty. Aluminum can de anodized with various color as well. Wish Nagra 8 will go back to glory. I really believe it shall be machined aluminum,
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

NO--it's not a pity at all. Why would that be?

There is no need for an aluminum front panel. It is very well designed currently and can be replaced if, years or decades from now, it gets beat up.

Nagra has a highly developed skill set in anodizing aluminum--that is not the issue. Neither has KUDELSKI lost any glory. In fact its glory is now showing brighter than ever. Down with CHI-COMM junque. DOWN with dictatorship.
Down with the criminal repressive regime!

Besides, the Nagra is Swiss so it's bound to be expensive.

Just relax and hear the playback. . .
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
... Down with CHI-COMM junque. DOWN with dictatorship.
Down with the criminal repressive regime!
??? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Besides, the Nagra is Swiss so it's bound to be expensive.
No, I did not say it is expensive. Nagra VI is about the same price as SD 788T for me to get it here. Maybe a little bit higher.

I felt Nagra VI may looks more expensive from my client's point of view. But when I learn the front panel is not like traditional Nagra product, I just cann't believe.

Since I am not going to buy either immediately, I just wish there's a better fit for me when I am ready to buy one.
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
Gear nut

Back in 2008, I learned from Luc Van Zandycke, Nagra VI product manager in Switzerland, that a traditional Nagra aluminium front panel (machined out of a full aluminium block, no diecast or pressed alu or similar) would not only have added some additional weight to the machine, but also considerably lifted up the price, seeing the complexity of the final front panel.

I am quite happy as it is!

And Plush is absolutely right: "Just relax and hear the playback..."
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
a traditional Nagra aluminium front panel (machined out of a full aluminium block, no diecast or pressed alu or similar)
Exactly what I expected. Similar to the Schoeps microphones, direct CNC from a solid brass. Magnisium aluminum alloy is now very popular on the NB/mobile phone and portable electronics, very light weight and sturdy.

Other than the front panel, I do wish next version comes with at least 6 pre, 8 is certainly even better. If so, please do consider XLR-5 pin jack for 2 of the 6/8 inputs. Hope Nagra engineers are monitoring this thread.
John Willett
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Manufacturers don't often monitor web forums, they don't have the time.

For instance, someone mentioned a small bug in the Nagra VI software on the Trew Audio site, but did not tell Nagra. Nagra only found out when I had the problem and sent an e-mail to Nagra and several users asking for help. Nagra had a fix and updated software available in less than 40 hours from the time of my e-mail.

So - I always say, keep the manufacturer informed about any problems and wants. That's the only way they are likely to come.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Manufacturers don't often monitor web forums, they don't have the time.
The new (and awesome) trend, though, is to run a user message board--the Sound Devices user board is awesome and SD employees are always checking in, even John Tatooles himself, making it a tech support site and a PR coup in one.

I'd imagine Nagra will get around to this eventually, just as they eventually cottoned to hard disc recorders.
John Willett
29th October 2010
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post
The new (and awesome) trend, though, is to run a user message board--the Sound Devices user board is awesome and SD employees are always checking in, even John Tatooles himself, making it a tech support site and a PR coup in one.

I'd imagine Nagra will get around to this eventually, just as they eventually cottoned to hard disc recorders.
Yes, I quite agree.

But not enough manufacturers do it at the moment and they can get expensive to run as it takes an employees time to keep looking in. But the expense is well worth it for the direct feedback that's received.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search