Tags: , , ,

2010 Olympics Opening Ceremonies - k.d. lang
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Talking 2010 Olympics Opening Ceremonies - k.d. lang

For all you who bitch and complain that there are no singers like in the good old days, and that no-one can sing live anymore...

Check out k.d. lang's performance for the opening ceremony for the 2010 Olympics. That's a voice to be reckoned with.

Might be hard to find because the Vancouver Olympic Committee has particularly vociferous copyright police, but I'm sure it's around.

Other than Measha Brueggergosman's performance, I didn't watch anything else.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Agreed. It was a great performance.

I had bad digital clipping on my tv feed, unfortunately. Time Warner Cable Los Angeles.

Greg
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Unhappy

Not seen it here yet - very sad about the Georgian skier who was killed just before the ceremony, though.
Old 13th February 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
For all you who bitch and complain that there are no singers like in the good old days, and that no-one can sing live anymore...
Quite a voice indeed. Hopefully it helps pick up the standards of vocalists a little, or at least imparts some respect for those with actual, natural vocal skill.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Amen. I've been a kd lang fan for a long time. I got a chance to see her live not too long ago. She could sing the phone book and I would be listening in awe.

I wish we had more folks willing to really, really put themselves out there like she does. You know, there were some quirky spots near the end of that version of Hallelujah last night, a few moments that didn't work the way she probably wanted them to (running out of air, straining to keep the note on pitch). But the moments of brilliance (the bulk of the song) made us forgive her for the ones that weren't absolutely perfect. The point is that she really pushes the envelope and milks the song and her natural ability for all that they have to offer. Hats off to her for being that brave. Most aren't.

Only one thing: I'm getting tired of Hallelujah. That song has jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. It's a great song, but it's now officially overused and overexposed. Time to move to some other haunting ballad.
Old 13th February 2010
Gear interested

Her mic technique was flawless - really helps the inline compression. Of note, is that (other than the opera singer with the 'fro) KD's performance was truly live. Bryan Adams/Nelly 'Tostado' were obviously taped (fully) and I suspect that Sarah 'annoying ethereal vocal restriction' Mclaughlin as well. KD Lang definitely raised the bar on vocal expectation!
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

If you get a chance, look for kd's peformance on the CMA awards from 2000 (I think it was 2000). You can see it on YouTube. She does an awesome version of Joni Mitchell's "Help Me." Excellent backing band as well.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothumbs View Post
I suspect that Sarah 'annoying ethereal vocal restriction' Mclaughlin as well.
You know, I thought so too, but if you watch and listen to her breaths it seems live.

Loved KD's performance, she is a true talent. But she really needs to throw that old suit away and update the old look, IMHO.

O/T: What was up with the Eric Cartman impersonator beat-poet?

Greg

Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

I didn't see it but just read this post on yahoo... What's everyone's take on this?

The 10 best moments from Vancouver's Opening Ceremony - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

"10. The lip-synching singers -- Lip-synching is a given when it comes to performances in huge venues. The risk of technical difficulties, the lack of monitors and trouble with acoustics necessitate recording a back-up track. But usually when this happens, the performers who are going about the lip-synching do a decent job of hiding the fact that they're not really singing. That didn't happen Friday night in Vancouver. From "O Canada" singer Nikki Yanofsky to Nelly Furtado to Bryan Adams to a tap dancer whose tapping sounds were obviously pre-recorded, every performer at the Opening Ceremony had difficulty keeping up with the track. Nobody expects live singing anymore, but at least make a good attempt to fool us, you know? At least the slam poetry guy was on a live mic. (On second thought, maybe that wasn't the best thing.)"
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothumbs View Post
(other than the opera singer with the 'fro)
Measha Brueggergosman - the hair helps her project her voice.

As for Hallelujah being overplayed, sort of, maybe, yes, but it's the song k.d. is most internationally recognized for, it made for a good mix of program material for the ceremony, was thematically relevant and added some gravity - sadly coinciding with that poor kid getting killed on the luge track, and finally, it's probably become the most recognized Canadian song of the last decade. As much as it is overdone, I can't think of what else the could have had her sing.

We are probably hyper-sesnsitive compared to the international public. She made me proud, though.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

It's stupid and uninformed. It out of time from what vantage point? Sound travels slowly, so sit back 100 feet and everything is out of sync. And what was the big complaint here about Superbowl last week? everyone comparing the sync delay on their cable provider. It's probably not at all the performers, but downstream problems.

As for the tap dancer - Riverdance, the biggest concert draw of last century, was prerecorded. With tap there is apparently no real way to deliver it convincingly in a large setting. Probably the wrong kind of performance for anything other than a vaudeville stage or celigdh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
I didn't see it but just read this post on yahoo... What's everyone's take on this?

The 10 best moments from Vancouver's Opening Ceremony - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

"10. The lip-synching singers -- Lip-synching is a given when it comes to performances in huge venues. The risk of technical difficulties, the lack of monitors and trouble with acoustics necessitate recording a back-up track. But usually when this happens, the performers who are going about the lip-synching do a decent job of hiding the fact that they're not really singing. That didn't happen Friday night in Vancouver. From "O Canada" singer Nikki Yanofsky to Nelly Furtado to Bryan Adams to a tap dancer whose tapping sounds were obviously pre-recorded, every performer at the Opening Ceremony had difficulty keeping up with the track. Nobody expects live singing anymore, but at least make a good attempt to fool us, you know? At least the slam poetry guy was on a live mic. (On second thought, maybe that wasn't the best thing.)"
Old 13th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:

Check out k.d. lang's performance for the opening ceremony for the 2010 Olympics. That's a voice to be reckoned with.

Might be hard to find because the Vancouver Olympic Committee has particularly vociferous copyright police, but I'm sure it's around.

Other than Measha Brueggergosma's performance, I didn't watch anything else.

yea... measha was amazing. kd lang was amazing (she did the song at the juno awards in winnipeg about 3 years ago. (the juno's are the canadian equivalent to the grammy's) she nailed it then too. maybe even a little better.

really, i thought the whole thing was quite classy and performed well... great dance, stage effects, lights, speeches, singers, orchestra, honorees... maybe i enjoyed it more because i'm canadian. kinda too bad at the end when the pillar didn't come out of the stage... but who cares? overall it was great and not the typical 'circus' that you see on big tv events.

s
Old 13th February 2010
Devo is playing the Winter Awards Ceremonies. That's gonna be weird. I can't wait though
Old 13th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymedic View Post
kinda too bad at the end when the pillar didn't come out of the stage...
Missing pillar for a missing soul...

Funny how Hallelujah has become associated with kd lang. She does do a great version of that Leonard Cohen classic, though. I have always felt she is one of the best female singers of her generation. Nelly Furtado, on the other hand... I have no idea who the heck ever thought she could sing, but I guess marketing can work wonders on many things.
Old 13th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
It's stupid and uninformed. It out of time from what vantage point? Sound travels slowly, so sit back 100 feet and everything is out of sync. And what was the big complaint here about Superbowl last week? everyone comparing the sync delay on their cable provider. It's probably not at all the performers, but downstream problems.

As for the tap dancer - Riverdance, the biggest concert draw of last century, was prerecorded. With tap there is apparently no real way to deliver it convincingly in a large setting. Probably the wrong kind of performance for anything other than a vaudeville stage or celigdh.
nelly furtado didn't know the cues, she came in like a bar early a couple of times. the lip synch was way off, it was like they didn't know the song.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSleep View Post
nelly furtado didn't know the cues, she came in like a bar early a couple of times. the lip synch was way off, it was like they didn't know the song.
Fair enough. I didn't see her. I find her inept at the best of times, so not surprising. Since lip-synching isn't that hard, I think most sync issues on live-broadcast that people complain about are usually beyond the performer's control. Media transmission problems, mix processing latency, bad monitoring. If Nelly can't remember the song cues, well...
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Other than Measha Brueggergosma's performance, I didn't watch anything else.

KD has some set of pipes!!
It's refreshing to hear real talent these days.
Old 13th February 2010
Gear nut

I laughed out loud when Bryan Adams missed his very first entrance on his song!! "Oh hey, Bryan's singing, huh, he doesn't even have the mic up to his mouth!!!" Cracked me up!!! Kind of a lame song too. Should've just done "Cuts like a knife" and collected his check!!!
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

KD truly has an astounding one of a kind voice. I've seen her live several times, including sitting in on a few rehearsals at TV broadcasts I was working on. She just never gives any less than 100% and you just can't help but stop and soak up the sound when she starts to sing. Huge talent.

All that said, I thought she kinda' over-reached on 'Hallelujah' this time. Felt like she used up all the histrionics and pulled out the stops, then still had a couple repetitive verses left with nowhere to go. Just didn't quite achieve 'lift off' for me. By way of contrast, I remember seeing her TV 'Junos' performance of the song on YouTube and it totally blew me away. She seemed to judge the pacing better, and built to a big finish.

Anyway, finer points. She's an incredible singer and of that there is no doubt.

As for the Bryan Adams/Nelly Song, I had to wince when the very first line was something like, "Aiming so high, right for the sky"... or some incredibly lame, first grader rhyme. Im' thinkin, "This is your big chance, the world is watching, and the first line you write for the song is a "high/sky" couplet? Ouch! Don't know if this was another Alan Frew creation or who wrote it, but as a Canuck I was a wee bit embarrassed. FAIL.
Old 13th February 2010
Gear interested

If you'd surfed in with the sound down while k.d. was singing "Hallelujah", you'd have done a double-take and said, "Hey, what's Wayne Newton doing here in Soviet Canuckistan?" Just listen to the soundtrack--great chops, as ever.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

K D Lang was awesome. She owned that, (Leonard Cohen), song and commanded that platform before all the world. I really enjoyed her presentation.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 14th February 2010
Gear doesn't kill people.

KD is one of the greatest singers alive, period.
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
KD is one of the greatest singers alive, period.
Yes indeed.

Old 14th February 2010
Gear maniac

Love her voice.

Excellent performance
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'm so glad someone posted this. I have to admit, I've not listened to K.D. much in my life but as I was dozing off watching the presentation, I jerked awake when I heard her singing.

After the awful Super Bowl music, I was hesitant to believe she was really singing that well. If she was, that was truly one of the most refreshing performances I've seen in awhile. I even commented about it to my wife today.

Great Job!
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

I heard K.D. Lang sing Hallelujah at the the Greek Theater in L.A.
Hands down, one of the BEST performances I've ever seen.
Old 14th February 2010
Gear nut

KD Lang definitely kicked that songs ass!!!! But I still think Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" is my favorite.
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
I'm so glad someone posted this. I have to admit, I've not listened to K.D. much in my life but as I was dozing off watching the presentation, I jerked awake when I heard her singing.
k.d. lang's Ingenue is one of the best albums ever. Your life will better after listening to it.
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

If you like kd lang, also check out her "hymns of the 49th parallel"... lordy.

She is just flat out amazing. Saw her sing in San Jose CA... wow... I was in awe of her pipes.

I was really depressed at a lot of their choices. Bryan Adams? Really? Sarah McLaughlan was great a long time ago, but she keeps writing the same song over and over... I did really like her first one.

Lip sync... why must they? There really are people like kd who can just freakin' sing, let 'em at it.
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

Red face

I watched the show last night and saw the performance and was mesmorized...great performance. But I didn't hear the introduction and just had to id the singer on my own- I told my wife it was that guy Clay Aiken from American Idol, he can really sing his ass off

oops, I found this thread, googled kd lang and now wear egg
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search