New Reply
Subscribe
Justin84
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Gear interested

Question Starting in the field

Hi.
I saw a lot of useful stuff here as a lurking guest so thought I'd join hoping someone could give me a little advice.

I recently purchased the Fostex FR-2 and the Rode NT4 with a view to creating sound effects which I hope to get published. In between buying the unit and its arrival I was surfing around and heard mixed reports about the pre-amps. the feeling seemed to be that they were better for recording louder sounds. I was hoping to collect a fair few ambiences, dawn choruses, beach atmospheres, owls at night that kind of thing. I wasn't really planning to go for any of the really quiet stuff like room tones. Am I going to be able to record ambiences like that at sufficiently high quality to sell or have I bought something that's
only good for recording guns and explosions, which are beyond my budget to record anyway? has anyone had good experiences recording such material with the FR-2? If not, I'd rather find a work-around than trade in what I've bought and start again.

Also, possibly a very noob question, but I also purchased a mini wind-jammer. I appreciate its necesity but surely sticking a great furry thing over your mic is going to colour the sound, reduce the high end etc? If this is true, how does one mitigate the effect?

Thanks
18th December 2009
Old 18th December 2009
Gear addict

Sorry Justin for no answers.
I guess your questions are a bit special. As you plan to start to sell your recordings you need to start out by finding what the market looks like. Things like who the buyers are and what they might be willing to pay for, where the competitors are and such things. Personally I would not hold my breath while waiting for the money to fill up the bank account.

And as you have already invested in the recorder and mics, well, simply try for yourself.

As for the wind-jammer: yes it does to a small degree degrade the sound. The alternative is worse though

// Gunnar
Justin84
18th December 2009
Old 18th December 2009
Gear interested

Any EQ tricks to minimize the problems?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search