How to record from a analogue desk into a PC running Pro Tools
New Reply
Subscribe
funkymunk
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Gear Head

Question How to record from a analogue desk into a PC running Pro Tools

This could be a simple answer but wanted to ask anyway. If I was using an analogue desk with say 16 channels and FOH running in mono can I record this into Pro Tools as one whole mix. Also can I record each individual track for later mixdown or would the mix taken from the desk be the one recorded to Pro Tools. Also what ins and outs would I need to use? Thanks for helping.
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Gear addict

You have a few options.

#1 Digi 002 or 003 Rack Factory and record the direct outs of the analogue desk into the 002 or 003's line inputs and another AD device such a Behinger ADA8000 hooked up to the 002/003 via ADAT.

#2 HD1 Core card with an interface recording the direct out of the desk. Can use different convertors here like Apogee AD16X with the HD card into a HD Core card. YOu can run a stereo line out if you want to record the stereo mix aswell.

You can also do the stereo mix route using an mbox recording just the stereo output of the desk.
funkymunk
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Gear Head

Can I use a different interface other than the Digi 003? I'm thinking of either buying a M Audio Profire 2626 or a Project Mix I/O. Do these have the line in options?
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Gear addict

I have a 2626 and you can use line inputs, 8 of them, buy another one or something like a DigiMax FS from Presonus for the extra 8 inputs and use them as AD converters.

So you would have Desk, direct outs, 2626 line inputs, firewire to your computer running M-Powered.

It's really up to you as to what you want to use for the second 8 channels if you choose the 2626. It can also handle another 8 plus SPIDF for 26 inputs in total.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search