Tags: , ,

Classical Location Recording Software for Apple
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Samplitude on Bootcamp.
Is that fast enough? Or would I have to go for a cup of coffee while the menus drop down?
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
GarageBand. (Yes, I'm serious.)

Sounds like you're just basically documenting a performance and don't need anything fancy. It should do the job nicely.
I used to use GB for performances/jam sessions, but had a few issues on some longer sessions and some multitrack editing (pinwheel of death), so I switched to reaper. Surprisingly, reaper (even on mac) seems more stable and efficient than GB. Plus it's free to try. A new version was just released a day or so ago I think. v3.1415. I've used it to convert files to mp3, dither from 24 to 16, and burn a cd. no issues.thumbsup
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

A big +1 for Reaper. IMHO by far the best DAW I have used, and for the price, OMG! Runs fine on a Mac (although a little behind the PC version right now), does all the listed tasks, and is awesomely full-featured. It's a little tweeky but what DAW isn't?

Plus, the guys who code it are the fastest, most responsive designers you will ever find anywhere. It's a gem.

D.
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Reaper does it all and I'm happy with Reaper on a MBP13" for classical and opera. I have not used the CD burner in Reaper though.

/Peter
Well now I have used the CD burner in Reaper and it worked just fine. If they only could improve the SRC up to SoX quality in Reaper and it would be just perfect. Not saying that the Reaper SRC is bad or cause audible artefacts, just that it would be so easy to make it perfect and remove any doubts.

When time permits I'll do some shoot outs between SoX and Reaper SRC.

/Peter
4th December 2009
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
Is that fast enough? Or would I have to go for a cup of coffee while the menus drop down?
No.
Plenty of people using Samplitude in bootcamp without issue.

Greg
4th December 2009
Old 4th December 2009
Gear addict

Ardour?

Yup, Ardour.

(Samplitude is also quite the business.)
5th December 2009
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
Ardour?

Yup, Ardour.

(Samplitude is also quite the business.)
Why Ardour?
6th December 2009
Old 6th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Why Ardour?
Is open source, well rounded for recording, and costs remarkably little compared to others. It also works amazingly well and JACK is a pretty solid software interconnection and routing system, surprisingly well suited to all sorts of interesting remote recording situations.

Oh and you can "try" before you "buy."
7th December 2009
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
I suppose YES if you are using a 286 with Windows Millenium-- but with XP and something modern the answer is NO. I run XP in Bootcamp on a 2.33GHz MB Pro and no problems with Sequoia.

The OP did not indicate if a great X-fade editor and 4-point is needed. If yes there are 4 software DAWs: Sequoia, SADiE, Pyramix, and Soundblade-- and Soundblade is the only Mac. If you don't need X-fade and 4-point nothing will work as well as Samplitude.

For several years I used Metric Halo and imported into Sequoia but would sometimes have problems that would only be solved with copying the files to a different drive. LOTS of time spent even when it worked correctly.

I had a utility written that some others have found helpful that copied MH files into a format more easily imported into DAWS. PM of interested.

Rich
7th December 2009
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

It's possible to set Reaper up for four point and three point editing. I started to work on custom Reaper 'actions' to do this and never finished it, but you can see what I was working on at Classical and Speech Editing Actions - Cockos Confederated Forums on the Reaper forums.

For instance, one thing I had working was "four point editing with preview".
This places markers at the start and end of a section you wish to replace, and at the start and end of the material to be used as a replacement. The replacement material is copied, not moved, from the source location to the target location, replacing the designated area there. Before actually committing to the edit, it's previewed with a basic crossfade.

I haven't tried it with recent versions, nor on a Mac, but it does illustrate that if prepared to get your hands dirty, it's surprising what you can achieve with Reaper's custom actions etc.

This thread has reminded me of the whole subject and I've raised it again on the Reaper forums at Three point and four point editing etc - Cockos Confederated Forums - whether the developers 'bite' remains to be seen.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search