OddJobPeters
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Gear interested

Question MR1000 Preamps or DAV BG-1?

I have an MR1000 recorder and am about to start tracking some solo acoustic guitar and also drum overheads with a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's. I would also like to dabble in recording live performances in the near future, such as recitals, choirs, jazz ensembles, etc.

Would the DAV be a good upgrade from the Korg's preamps for these particular applications? The BG-1 seems to be very well received here and I like the form factor. I also own a single UA 710. Should I just get another one of those instead? Not sure how transparent the 710's are even on the solid-state side of things.

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while, stuffing my brain with all the delicious information found within this forum. What a gem of a place. Makes you want to empty your wallet, though .
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Can't say that I've ever used the Korg's micamps for any critical applications, but I can endlessly attest that the DAV/Korg combo is a very tasty one.
OddJobPeters
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Gear interested

Michael, I just recently listened to that combination by way of your own samples I found through this site . The combination sounds excellent indeed. Did you ever A/B the Korg and DAV pres, even just informally?
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Head

hi,

DAV sound clean ,
i've got a bg2 and i'm very happy with it.
I use it for acoustic guitar , vocal , OH , brass...
I think it doesn't look like a millenia but it's the same league.
If you're looking for transparent path , no doubt that the dav got it with its decca heritage.

Hope this helps
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

No, I never did an A/B of the DAV with the Korg amps. In the few times I used the onboard amps (e.g. some vocal narration in a dead acoustic; my wife playing a crappy electronic keyboard), I thought they sounded fine, nothing noticably noisy or colored .... but once again, this was nothing critical.

You'll not be disappointed with the DAV. I found mine to sound a little constrained when I first got it, but after a few hours of use it seemed to open up and "flower". I don't know if I was just used to artifacts of an earlier (more clinical) preamp that I used a lot, but at any rate it did grow on me.
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

One is Japanese and one is British.

One has the Decca sound and the other does not.
But I don't diss 'cause I dig the 1000.

----"I may not be good, but I am slow."
Anon.

Last edited by Plush; 20th June 2009 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: korrection for country of origin
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

For tracking, I would use an outboard pre if possible. especially on something with tough transients.

For live stuff though I have gotten very good results with the mr-1000 pres, the battery option is really cool for a pair of phantom powered mics.
20th June 2009
Old 20th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
One is Japanese ----------errr, Chinese and one is British.
I would be surprised if, in terms of components, the DAV were less Chinese than the Korg which, after all, is assembled in Japan.
20th June 2009
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
I would be surprised if, in terms of components, the DAV were less Chinese than the Korg which, after all, is assembled in Japan.
Yes, thank you for correcting my post. I mistakenly said that the 1000 box is from China.

It is a quality box for sure. I have added confidence in it because KORG put the professor who invented DSD in charge of their DSD recorder project.

Bravo KORG
OddJobPeters
20th June 2009
Old 20th June 2009
Gear interested

Thanks for the input, everyone. It would appear that getting the DAV would not be completely pointless, which is what I was trying to figure out. For the price it seems worth giving a shot.
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Definitely! Although I have to say that the Busman mod would also be a good investment (from what I have heard)
OddJobPeters
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stark View Post
Definitely! Although I have to say that the Busman mod would also be a good investment (from what I have heard)
What exactly does the mod entail?
OddJobPeters
29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Gear interested

Received my DAV BG-1 from Mick (very quickly I might add) and my first impression is that it sounds terrific on acoustic guitar. I must say, the Korg preamps are not bat at all either, but there is a sweetness in the DAV that makes my guitar sound more mellow yet still clear and precise. Thank you all for your input, this preamp is a great discovery. I have many sources and situations yet to test, but for the price I'm already quite pleased.
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

The mod upgrades some components, I believe op-amps and caps.

One word of warning......I believe I "blew" the headphone amp in my mr-1000 by keeping it on high all the time.....Really should not have been a problem! but just wanted to share my experience. a

Glad you are liking the DAV.....It's a killer preamp! Brought some of my condensers back from the grave (Oktava in particular sounded great to me and of course my old Schoeps tube mic)
OddJobPeters
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear interested

Daniel, thanks for the info and for the warning about the headphone amp. I have one problem with the MR1000 now - I don't want to take the DSD recordings out of it! They sound sooooo good in DSD it's kinda crazy. I know there has been much debate as to why DSD sounds so good and I don't want to go there, but I could listen to DSD all day out of that box.

In any case, this thread is about the DAV, so I'll just say it all sounds great together.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search