BrianHanke
30th April 2009
Old 30th April 2009
Gear addict

Question Rycote InVision durability?

I just got a pair of InVision mounts in the mail and my first impression is that they seem very fragile. Has anybody had experience using them for an extended period? Does the plastic ever break? I'd like to know how delicately I need to handle them. Thanks!
30th April 2009
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Exclamation

My understanding is that you could probably drive a car over them - they are very tough.

The "plastic" is "hytrel" and you can bend it every which way and it will return to its original shape.

The in-Visions are a lot tougher than anything else on the market.
BrianHanke
1st May 2009
Old 1st May 2009
Gear addict

Good to know, thanks!
1st May 2009
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

I haven't had mine for very long but I'm under the impression that they are very durable.

As John says the plastic is of a strong yet flexible kind.

/Peter
1st May 2009
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

Just Google "hytrel." I did. Sounds like th right stuff for the job.
29th June 2010
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanke View Post
I just got a pair of InVision mounts in the mail and my first impression is that they seem very fragile. Has anybody had experience using them for an extended period? Does the plastic ever break? I'd like to know how delicately I need to handle them. Thanks!
Ha...you obviously haven't seen Rycote's "party trick" then !! I wouldn't do this to my pair of Invisions...but I'm glad Viviane Dyer did it for us (would've looked pretty bad for Rycote if they'd fallen apart after the trick !) Watch from 1:50 on with clenched teeth: YouTube - Frankfurt Musikmesse 2008: Rycote INV-1, INV-2 & INV-3

Now you can safely drive your car over them...
Ray
29th June 2010
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

The part that holds the mic is virtually unbreakable, now the new full windshield kits ("zeppelins"), those we break all the time.. Not as often as the old type, but mainly the handles break...
29th June 2010
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Rycote InVision durability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub
The part that holds the mic is virtually unbreakable, now the new full windshield kits ("zeppelins"), those we break all the time.. Not as often as the old type, but mainly the handles break...
Do you have the new style handle yet? That, I think, is more durable.

Also, the metal base mount strip on the basket windshields is now made of a polymer and is also a lot more durable.

I upgraded my stereo windshield kit when I invented the new Rycote MS mount. I just used existing Rycote bits and put them together in a new way to change my old stereo windshield to a lyre suspension - Rycote liked it so much that they now offer it as a standard product (and it's cheaper than the old one as well as better).

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search