Login / Register

Tags: , , ,

If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel
New Reply
Subscribe
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Talking

Hmm, we have to do that!
This is the train station,where I live and there is a pretty long tunnel underneath it!!!!
It is much wider than your tunel and has a small river floating through it.
This might be crazy!!!!!!!
I think I have to take pictures and post them!
Where are you locates? PM me !!!!

thumbsup
Attached Thumbnails
If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-rangierbahnhof_maschen.jpg  

"i'll pay you $4001 to surgically remove your fingers." -aeonsound ,replying to a spammer
MidasHatesGold
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Oh my god...wow!!! please post pics!!! I´m in!!!!
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-seevetunnel-02.jpg Name: Seevetunnel 02.jpg Views: 220 Size: 41.2 KB ID: 120393" style="margin: 2px" />
This is the view from the outside. On the right you can see the concrete, where the drums would be located. in the middle theres kind of a rough ground, but mic placement should be no problem there.
On the left there is the Seeve
The Tunnel is about 2meters in height, on the right side, so there are funny romm modes :D,
If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-seevetunnel-01.jpg Name: Seevetunnel 01.jpg Views: 192 Size: 18.9 KB ID: 120392" style="margin: 2px" />
This is a view from inside. My cellphones flash isn´t that strong,so the pic is pretty dark.
If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-seevetunnel-03.jpg Name: Seevetunnel 03.jpg Views: 299 Size: 99.8 KB ID: 120391" style="margin: 2px" />
I managed to photoshop one of the pics.
here you see the Seevetunnel in all his beauty
It´s soooo claustrophobic in there!!! I was scared !!!
The Tunnel is 250-400m long. I didn´t walk through it all the way, but this should be a ballpark. IT IS LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!!!
Every 50 meters there is a emergency exit xD
I claped my hands and the reverb was sick!!!!
One loud slapback around 500ms and one echo after ca.500ms and a long and smooth tail
One downside is the noise,as there are trains rolling over the tunnel
But I think that could even be a plus.

There has to be something recorded inside of this beast! Although I don´t think that the rolling drumriser would be a good idea in there.

MidasHatesGold
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

Very impressive...What have you got for recording (mics, interface etc). I´m excited!!!! (tomorrow I am going to play in a support act for beyoncé in front of 12000 people....äm..I´m nervous...did soundchecks in front of 70000 but never played a song...wish me luck...I go to bed....n8
MidasHatesGold
10th May 2009
Old 10th May 2009
Lives for gear

Beyoncé concert was great! but we hadn´t enough volume on stage to play above the playback track....embarrassing....

I would like to see some great places for recording drums etc. keep posting

bumb up the jam!!!
27th May 2009
Old 27th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappygarry View Post
Brilliant!

I love the cars zooming past. They *almost* sound deliberate in places.

:D

G

+1 very nice. Cymbals almost a little too washy, it might be nice to try mallets? Great ideas all around, I love recording in odd places. Before it was torn down there was a giant abandoned hydro-electric plant right here in Richmond on the James River. Mates and I used to go in there with a couple of 12-packs and make noise in the old locker rooms until dawn, some of which were recorded but not very good.

I really miss that space!
29th May 2009
Old 29th May 2009
Gear maniac

i agree about the cynbal wash but wow what a sound!!!!!!!!!!
maybe next time you should od the cymbals back in the studio.
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Arrow

who'd like to record drums parts for me???

Recording drums for another GSer in a stairwell. Four mic mixes only. Samples coming this evening.

Hybrid 70s Japanese / PDP CX / Ludwig kit with Saluda cymbals and Zildjian sizzle.
Attached Thumbnails
If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-cba_25316.jpg   If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-cba_25319.jpg  
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Very cool Christian. I love that type of session.

I've used stairwells for drums too, but we set up the drums in the recording space and then feed the drums to speakers in the stairwell.
I like to place a speaker on each landing (or every other landing) and one or more mics at the top of the stairwell.

I then send whatever drum channel I want into whatever speaker I want.
You can choose the furthest and/or closest speakers from the mic(s) depending on how long of delay you're looking for.

You can even split up the channels and send the toms to the furthest speaker, the foot and snare to the middle speaker and the cymbals to the closest speaker for different delay times within the same space.

It's an awesome way to capture drum room tone because you can control the amount of delay time for each channel at the same time.
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Gear nut

It's beautiful. I'm even more thrilled as Christian is tracking those drums for me
Can't wait to hear it!
MidasHatesGold
8th June 2009
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

9th June 2009
Old 9th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Rough mix sample of Song w/ Stairwell Drums

Stems are on the way to Routine as I type.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DrumCollaborationSample.mp3 (809.0 KB, 1915 views)
MidasHatesGold
9th June 2009
Old 9th June 2009
Lives for gear

nice tune...will he get a mixdown or all 4 tracks???
9th June 2009
Old 9th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

All four tracks. No use going back and forth making adjustments when Routine can get it how he wants it mixwise. He may also want to isolate and loop certain measures, quantize, add a few hits, etc. (I've done some regional touring, but not a session drummer here.) I used the Wizard from SendSpace.
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear addict

Mushroom Stamp Productions

23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear addict

Wow.

Duh.

I just realized I live right next to a freeway. With a walkway underneath that has a ridiculously long verb. The 405 in Los Angeles, right by Tito's Tacos... And I could totally take my laptop and my Mbox. And some brass. And I just ordered 2 of Sahiaman's Little Blondie mics that should be showing up tomorrow...I can't think of a better application to try them out!

Think this one might need some more work before I call it a day on my end... Will post links when I have them...

23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanitas View Post
I posted about giving away a free tracks worth of horns in the Free Stuff thread and MidasHatesGold was the first person to respond.

So here is the rough draft...

http://mushroomstamp.com/music/gold/...ns_6_22_09.mp3

comments and suggestions are welcome.

As I'm from the Band as well as MidasHatesGold, I would like to give a short feedback.
First : Thanks for that work!!!
Tough this is some kind of roughmix (the song itself+the horns) it sounds really impressive but for some parts its too much/loud.
This is anyway related with the hard panning of the source song. I really look forward to the next production step, when we will complete the mix und tracking of this song. If this is done, the horns will be the big dot on the i.

P.S.
Sorry for my bad english
MidasHatesGold
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

A BIG THANK YOU TO AMANITAS

he did a whole brass section for the song I posted in this thread

it gave me goosebumps

YOU DID A GREAT JOB!!!!

regards

christopher
MidasHatesGold
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanitas View Post
Wow.

Duh.

I just realized I live right next to a freeway. With a walkway underneath that has a ridiculously long verb. The 405 in Los Angeles, right by Tito's Tacos... And I could totally take my laptop and my Mbox. And some brass. And I just ordered 2 of Sahiaman's Little Blondie mics that should be showing up tomorrow...I can't think of a better application to try them out!

Think this one might need some more work before I call it a day on my end... Will post links when I have them...

go for it!!! gonna buy some blondies when after my next tour....

you rock
28th June 2009
Old 28th June 2009
Gear addict

So my freeway experiment didn't quite go as planned - after about 5 minutes of tracking a large shirtless man came walking up and politely asked us to stop - needless to say we didn't get the awesome verb'd trumpet on wax. That said I can vouch that freeway overpass reverb sounds amazing on trumpet. One day...

That said, I added a few tracks with the little blondies and spent some time cleaning some shit up and taking some shit out. I will send you guys a link when I've got the session file uploaded.
28th June 2009
Old 28th June 2009
Gear nut

inspirational thread! really like the motorway and stairwell tracks props to you both! that snare sound on the motorway track is addictive! it's got so much power that snare is really nice!
1st July 2009
Old 1st July 2009
Gear addict

http://mushroomstamp.com/music/gold/gold.zip

Here is a zip file with all of the horn tracks in it. Pro Tools 7.3 session. Didn't get any freeway tracks, but did record a few with the Little Blondies anyway just so as you could hear what they sound like on trumpet (an NY Bach Strad from the 30s)...

26th July 2009
Old 26th July 2009
Gear addict

bump!
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Or how about this!!
Attached Thumbnails
If you like Reverberant Rooms you will love the Reverb sound in the "Autobahn" Tunnel-3976432140_0c86a1c2c9_b.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search