New Reply
Subscribe
Remoteness
22nd March 2009
Old 22nd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Talking What's on your digital camera?

More times than not I bring along my Canon Power Shot S80 digital camera to take pictures of the various production ventures we are involved in. At times I have plenty of time to take all sorts of detailed pictures and sometimes I don’t, but in any event since there is plenty of space on the SD media I keep my favorite shots available to see whenever I want.

I figured I’d start a new thread showing off all the photos I stored on my camera’s SD card.
I trust others will follow suit and show off their digital camera shots.

So, I’m going to start off with a gig we did back in 2006 for CBS Sports.
These photos are from the 88th PGA tournament at the Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Illinois.

The Bread Mobile was there to handle the sound FX capture for the back nine holes.
TBM had anywhere from six to nine mics per hole and that didn't include any talking head mics or playback.

We were one of five audio CRMs that handled this event.
One handled the front nine FX; we handled the back nine FX.
There was a CRM for the front nine commentator mix and one for the back nine.
The HD truck's audio CRM received every one's mixed feeds and handled the 5.1 and 2.0 mixes.

If you have any questions or thoughts just let thyem rip!
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_0982.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_0983.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_0985.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_0993.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1003.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1058.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1099.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1120.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1121.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1129.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1166.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1177.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1178.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1185.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1196.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1202.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1203.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1204.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1217.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_1218.jpg  

22nd March 2009
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Larry Elliott Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Elliott
Steve

Please explain CRM and TBM.

Thanks
Larry
Remoteness
22nd March 2009
Old 22nd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Elliott View Post
Steve

Please explain CRM and TBM.

Thanks
Larry

I'm sorry Larry, I assumed "everyone" knew my acronyms since I use them so much.

CRM = control room

TBM = The Bread Mobile (the nick name we gave our white Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan a while back)
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

tutt

You should hire a real professional photographer to take your photos. Especially since you are sharing them on the Internet. Remember, the quality of your pictures reflects your performance and professionalism.

*ahem*ahem*

What was your back-up camera?
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
tutt

You should hire a real professional photographer to take your photos. Especially since you are sharing them on the Internet. Remember, the quality of your pictures reflects your performance and professionalism.

*ahem*ahem*

Picky, picky!! Now, you know I'm kidding!!!

Pretty great shots! I didn't see that much cable when I toured the "Mae West" internet hub in San Jose a few years ago. Yikes!!!
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear maniac

Steve...I am curious how you would mic a hole? What types of mics were used and how did you get the feed from all the holes to TBM?
http://www.spectrumsoundrecording.com

Remoteness
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
tutt

*ahem*ahem*

Ah yes, NorseHorse of course -- the Remote Possibilities Policeman has arrived to save the day with a little jab from his baton.

Policeman NorseHorse, at this time I don't upload high quality JPGs; I reduce the size and quality when I'm showing them off online in boards like this.

I get hired for the quality of the work I do and not from how my show and tell photos look to you.
I'm trying to understand what the quality of my impromptu photos have to do with the performance and professionalism of my craft?

If you knew me better you would know that I'm mister backup...

I get the feeling you would rather get some humble pie comment, but my backup camera is a second Canon S80.
I also have extra batteries and two chargers that I bring with me everywhere I go.

If these photos were mission critical I would be adding all sorts of stuff to that backup list just like everything else I do.
Remoteness
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbe1019 View Post
Steve...I am curious how you would mic a hole? What types of mics were used and how did you get the feed from all the holes to TBM?
Very good questions...

I can give you the short answers or I can look up my "Location File" notes and respond more accurately.

I will try to respond as soon as I can.
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Nice photos Steve. I'm not sure what Norsey's problem is. I think someone is feeling a little jealous perhaps?

I just got through doing live sound today. I had to deal with probably 40 connections maybe a little more but nothing like what it looks like you deal with. I imagine organization and back up are key 4 U.

Great stuff, fun to see a glimpse of your world. Thanks for sharing!

23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Nice photos Steve. I'm not sure what Norsey's problem is. I think someone is feeling a little jealous perhaps?
I understood it that he was just making a joke - Steve always goes on about the importance of back-ups and I took the remark as a wonderful tongue-in-cheek remark as humour.

Thants for the photos, Steve.

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
Remoteness
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

I just took some photos of our input/output sheets for your review.
These sheets say a lot if you know how to read them.

Danny Littwin was the audio engineer in TBM for this event.
He designed and built TBM and its gear to his layout spec.

I'm going to contact him to see if he's interested in sharing his knowledge of this technically massive production venture.

For the most part we had parabolic and shotgun mics along with others that I'm sure Danny can elaborate for us.

Small mic pre/mixers converted the mics to line level.
Miles copper and fiber were run everywhere to/from the golf course and mobile units.
Analog and digital AES was our way to interface in between the mobile units.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6577.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6578.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6580.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6581.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6583.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6585.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6587.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6588.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6589.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6590.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6591.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6592.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6593.jpg  
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear maniac

Wow...that is an extremely involved production...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I just took some photos of our input/output sheets for your review.
These sheets say a lot if you know how to read them.

Danny Littwin was the audio engineer in TBM for this event.
He designed and built TBM and its gear to his layout spec.

I'm going to contact him to see if he's interested in sharing his knowledge of this technically massive production venture.

For the most part we had parabolic and shotgun mics along with others that I'm sure Danny can elaborate for us.

Small mic pre/mixers converted the mics to line level.
Miles copper and fiber were run everywhere to/from the golf course and mobile units.
Analog and digital AES was our way to interface in between the mobile units.
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I understood it that he was just making a joke...
Just imagining the world of PhotoSlutz who are conversing about the downfall of photography because "normal / unappreciative" people like us settle for less-than-professional cameras and composition. Reminds me of a certain other community I know...

Related thread: Recording = photography?!?!

Related post #2: Portable Location Recording Rates?

PS. How do you keep track of all those channels!!!
Remoteness
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Wow...that is an extremely involved production...
And, that just some of the I/O sheets...

Plus, we were working in the CBS compound; there were 130 or so countries involved in the own production and getting multiple feeds from the CBS production effort.
Remoteness
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Exclamation NorseHorse (of course) has something important to say!

Quote:
Just imagining the world of PhotoSlutz who are conversing about the downfall of photography because "normal / unappreciative" people like us settle for less-than-professional cameras and composition. Reminds me of a certain other community I know...

Related thread: Recording = photography?!?!

PS. How do you keep track of all those channels!!!
Listen NorseHorse (of course) this is not PhotoSlutz!
I'm not selling my photography skills just my audio skills.
I wanted to share a little bit of what I do and how I do it.

I started this thread to talk about the photos I (we) have in my (our) camera(s) that relate to audio recordings, broadcasts and such that we are involved in.

There were hundreds of millions of dollars worth of mobile units and gear, hundreds of I/Os, miles of copper and fiber runs and all sorts of logistics to talk about, but you have to turn it into a discussion about how I need a professional photographer because the quality of these pictures reflects my performance and professionalism.

I don't appreciate disruptions.
If you cannot add to this discussion you are not welcomed here.
If the people at large enjoy this kind of bullshit please let us all know so, I can leave and let you folks do what you need to do to this thread.

And, while we are at it why don't we turn this informative and productive forum into what every other forum is all about these days?
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting stuff, Steve. Can you explain the abbreviations in the input list headers? I'm drawing a blank on nearly all of them.

I guess it's a measure of how complex the job was that so much was actually typed. I have a number of standard forms, but I usually end up filling them out by hand. If the forms don't fit the gig, I might do something in Excel. But I actually prefer to do my on-site documentation by hand because it saves opening another application on a computer that's otherwise dedicated to audio.

All of my job-specific cabling diagrams are still drawn by hand on graph paper. Folks with multi-pin disconnects between standard racks probably don't have to document this way, but I do. Maybe I should scan a couple of them and post.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording

P.S. -- Please just ignore NorseHorse. I understood his post to be a joke, and was actually amused by it, but I don't think it's worth spending any more time on.
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Steve, Did you supply the mics? I'd like to see what was used.

I hope other people post some pics ( with info)too!

23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Corran
I guess I'll be the first to add pictures after Steve...

Nothing so complex, just a stereo pair in an amazing church. It's nice to record in a place that you can't possibly get a "dead" sound!

This was a recording of Honegger's "Le Roi David."
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-img_2955.jpg  

www.oceanstarproductions.com
Remoteness
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Interesting stuff, Steve. Can you explain the abbreviations in the input list headers? I'm drawing a blank on nearly all of them.

I guess it's a measure of how complex the job was that so much was actually typed. I have a number of standard forms, but I usually end up filling them out by hand. If the forms don't fit the gig, I might do something in Excel. But I actually prefer to do my on-site documentation by hand because it saves opening another application on a computer that's otherwise dedicated to audio.

All of my job-specific cabling diagrams are still drawn by hand on graph paper. Folks with multi-pin disconnects between standard racks probably don't have to document this way, but I do. Maybe I should scan a couple of them and post.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording

P.S. -- Please just ignore NorseHorse. I understood his post to be a joke, and was actually amused by it, but I don't think it's worth spending any more time on.
For the most part the headers show mobile unit and multi-pair snake abbreviations.
ASL = Aura-Sonic Ltd
CrPlx = Corplex
CP = I forget this one.
ESU = All inputs and output ran through the mobile unit which essentially was a huge router / patch bay truck.

FK = DT12 multi-pin

I think I got them all. Right?

These lists had to be typed out because they were distributed to so many people.
I guess they could have handwritten them and photocopied them , but perfect penmanship would have had to be paramount.

For my music productions I usually figure out the I/O lists ahead of time and make changes on location when necessary.
We still carry standard forms for last minute handwritten situations.

I love when Kaz Noda is on the gig because I prefer his handwriting over typed words any day of the week.

My "Location File" system is a Word document, but I also have a serious Excel version that I use on big dates I produce.
It's a pretty awesome file document if I do say so myself.

I can appreciate not opening another application on a computer and that is why we dedicate a computer for this task or just bring copies of the file I prepared ahead of time.

Yes, consider scanning a couple of your sheet for our review.
I love checking other folks work and method to the madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve View Post
Steve, Did you supply the mics? I'd like to see what was used.

I hope other people post some pics ( with info)too!
From what I recall CBS, NMT and NEP pretty much handled the mics, cameras and other location devices.

For the most part shotgun and parabolic mics were used for this event.

I'm sure Danny Littwin will be able to be more specific (if and) when he chimes in.
23rd March 2009
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I guess I'll be the first to add pictures after Steve...

Nothing so complex, just a stereo pair in an amazing church. It's nice to record in a place that you can't possibly get a "dead" sound!

This was a recording of Honegger's "Le Roi David."
i was wondering why those mics look like their at about a 30 degree angle..wondering why you wouldnt do a 90 on both...just curious though..
24th March 2009
Old 24th March 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
tutt

*ahem*ahem*

Yea....OK. Hire Steve for the 96 input show you're doing, and then maybe you can expect a glossy 8X10 of the wires hanging out the back of his awesome mobile trucks of audio doom.
24th March 2009
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Corran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean TM View Post
i was wondering why those mics look like their at about a 30 degree angle..wondering why you wouldnt do a 90 on both...just curious though..
I think the picture is a little deceptive. The mics were about 90 degrees apart. They were omnis anyway, with especially even pickup at all frequencies/angles, so I was trying to open up the stereo image due to this huge church's acoustics (no one told me we were recording in a huge gothic cathedral - we just showed up and I was pleasantly surprised!).
24th March 2009
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

On my camera...

Pictures of broken equipment to send to the manufacturer.

I had speaker cabinets shipped to me quite a while ago. The magnet detached from the woofer during shipping, hitting a capacitor, denting the voice coil, and severing some wires.

+1 to http://www.isptechnologies.com/ for helping me get back up and running.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-cba_24315.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-cba_24310.jpg  
24th March 2009
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Talking

Photos of my new flight case for my Nagra VI which I collected from the case company today:_

1) Case showing Nagra VI with battery attached:-

2) By moving the wooden bar with foam I can store it with the battery in a separate compartment:-

3) underneath the recorder are slots for the removable feet - there is also a cable compartment:-

The case was made for me by Case Design in the UK.

Done this way as you lose clock time if the battery is disconnected for a period - so if I'm using it a lot the battery will stay connected - if I put it away for a few weeks the battery will be stored seperately. The perfect solution.

It's very well made and I'm very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-1nagravicasebatteryattac_medium.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-2nagravicasebatterysepar_medium.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-3nagravicaseempty_medium.jpg  
Remoteness
29th March 2009
Old 29th March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Here's a few pictures from the 2007 J&R Music Festival.
WBGO Jazz88 did a live broadcast from the festival on that Saturday Afternoon.

There's a thread about it, but since these pictures are still on my camera I figured I show them to you folks again.

In the pictures below you will find Bruce Hornsby with Jack DeJohnette and Christian McBride.

I will upload the pictures from the 2008 J&R Music Fest, but I believe I will start a belated separate thread.
Stay tuned if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4295.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4300.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4301.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4327.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4329.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4331.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4341.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_4347.jpg  
29th March 2009
Old 29th March 2009
Gear maniac

Weren't these pics from the "spot The Breadmobile" contest for a shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Here's a few pictures from the 2007 J&R Music Festival.
WBGO Jazz88 did a live broadcast from the festival on that Saturday Afternoon.

There's a thread about it, but since these pictures are still on my camera I figured I show them to you folks again.

In the pictures below you will find Bruce Hornsby with Jack DeJohnette and Christian McBride.

I will upload the pictures from the 2008 J&R Music Fest, but I believe I will start a belated separate thread.
Stay tuned if you're interested.
Remoteness
29th March 2009
Old 29th March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Ah yes -- indeed it is!

I must revisit the various PMs I received and announce the winners.

I'm so sorry that I dropped the ball on this.
30th March 2009
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Just in case you weren't sure how cool we were in VA...

Bruce Hornsby is from Williamsburg.

Booya.
Remoteness
30th March 2009
Old 30th March 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Very cool -- Bruce was as charming as he is talented.

Also that year (2007) I recorded and mixed him during a live Ricky Skaggs / Bruce Hornsby TV broadcast we did on the street from Raleigh.

I had a double dose of Hornsby in 2007 and it felt good!
Remoteness
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

We had the pleasure to record Omar Sosa's new CD entitled “Across The Divide”

It was released on March 24, 2009 on Half Note Records.

This was originally recorded live from the Blue Note in NYC, but took a different direction as the project developed in post. We overdubbed all sorts of percussion, additional vocals and effects. The live audience mics were not used for this mix.

This recording featured:

Omar Sosa: piano, fender rhodes, electronics, samplers, vocals
Tim Eriksen: vocals, banjo, violin
Childo Tomas: electric and electro-acoustic bass guitars, kalimba, chigovia, vocals
Marque Gilmore: acousti-lectric drumz, vocals
Leandro Saint-Hill: soprano, alto & tenor saxophones, clarinet, flutes, caxixis
David Gilmore: acoustic & electric guitars
Ramon Diaz: bat drums, congas, cajn, vocals

I had an opportunity to take a few pictures of the percussion overdub session which was captured in ELROY.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6193.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6194.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6196.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6197.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6200.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6203.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6204.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search