What's on your digital camera?
New Reply
Subscribe
Remoteness
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Here are a few pictures of the Omar Sosa gear and backline for actual live performance.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5485.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5487.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5489.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5490.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5491.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5495.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5498.jpg  
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Banned

Wow, that's crazy. Turning a live recording into a studio session. There were two shows that night, correct? Did you mix and match songs or did you find that one show had most (or all) of the keeper tracks? Also, what is that mic on the cajon? Lots of electronic toys on this gig.
Remoteness
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Yeah, it's not the first time we've done something like this for a client.
Look at the pictures thyen listen to the recording - You would think there would be tons of leakage with every one on top of each other let alone the audience right up against the stage...

My Virtual Gobo technique works (almost) every time.

You were on that date - so you remember how we set things up and what it was all about...

We recorded a full rehearsal during sound check and four sets; two per night.
I believe you were there for only one of the nights not two; Right?

We mixed and matched from the rehearsal and four sets.
I believe the set (may be set 2?) had most of the songs.
I cannot remember without my notes; I bet D'Uva got that answer.

Here's a couple of pictures of the crew talking a break in TBM...
Thomas Bishop; Jon D'Uva; Rob Anderson; David Moench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Wow, that's crazy. Turning a live recording into a studio session. There were two shows that night, correct? Did you mix and match songs or did you find that one show had most (or all) of the keeper tracks? Also, what is that mic on the cajon? Lots of electronic toys on this gig.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5482.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_5484.jpg  
6th April 2009
Old 6th April 2009
Gear maniac

steve!

you guys have come a long way since the last time i saw your rig.
and the leroy truck is looking mighty fine.
do you have an estimate on when you will finish the big boy?
got any more pics?
Remoteness
6th April 2009
Old 6th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Thanks bro,

Yes, it's been a while for sure - stop by anytime, just give us a call first.

Yes, ELROY is slowly coming along.

I got plenty of pictures, but I don't want to jam any folks up.
I figured I'd add new ones when someone adds their pictures for our review or if some dialog is spent on the previous ones I posted.

Do you have any pictures to share?

6th April 2009
Old 6th April 2009
Gear addict

Wow, Jack Dejonette's Sonar kit is seriously pimped! Check out that custom hardware. He's one of my all time favorite drummers.
-GD
6th April 2009
Old 6th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

That's a sweet looking kit for sure; it sounded as good as it looked.

Here's what that set sounded like... Listen to On-Demand audio

Keep in mind: muliple bands with no sound checks; you got to love festivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
Wow, Jack Dejonette's Sonar kit is seriously pimped! Check out that custom hardware. He's one of my all time favorite drummers.
-GD
6th April 2009
Old 6th April 2009
Gear addict

This is the only non-fuzzy shot on my camera right now.

This is a pic of the console up into the ceiling of a show I mix for.

They have provided the ubiquitous Mackie 8 bus. For live sound. Yes.

Some interesting work arounds/tradeoffs happening there.

Four channels of Senn/countryman e6--fun part is they get swapped between several performers so, always different! Consistency is the exception, not the rule!

Great house band that's a lot of fun to mix, and mix position is in a box that sounds always waaaay too much bass, but when you walk on the floor it's bass light....

Saving grace here is a Sabine eq/feedback elim. on the flown KV2 main FOH pair and on the stage ring monitors.

Steve, I like how your pictures are always so clear and full of detail!
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-cc_mix_2009.jpg  
7th April 2009
Old 7th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
...Steve, I like how your pictures are always so clear and full of detail!
Hey, don't stay that too loud the Remote Possibilities Policeman might hear you; he doesn't like to hear that sort of thing around here.

I'm not sure if they always come out that way, but I spend a lot of time deleting most of the pictures I take. This is one reason why I love using digital cameras.

When I used film cameras I always needed to carry a lot of rolls of film because I went through buckets of them so I make sure I had the shot I wanted. Now-a-days, I make that call on the spot.

I spend most of the time framing the shot making sure everything I want to capture is in the lens.

I also like to keep my shots level. I hate when the picture is tilted and I wasn't going for that look.
One of the crew shots (above) was way off, but I liked what I captured so I straightened it out in Photoshop.

The hi-res pictures look pretty decent considering it's just a non-professional with a Canon S80.
If I actually knew what I was doing I bet my pictures would look even better.

Hey, any more of you folks have some stored pictures to share?
7th April 2009
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Went through the photos and found a few to share....

The first 2 are from the session I did with fellow GS member Rick Krizman (he was producing) for the Angel City Chorale. CD contains music running from classical standards to Gospel and folk. Good disc from a local chorus. Used lots of ribbons and quality condensers- plenty of color in the pres... Oh yeah! The first is the control room and the second was the "bank o' vocal mics." Set up plenty of mics to use to test on different singers.

Next is from FOH while mixing a movement of a piece from last spring at Benaroya Hall in Seattle. This was the only one where I wasn't scrambling on the mixer. Good stuff- the music was by Osvaldo Golijov and contained Flute (double alto flute), clarinet (doubling bass), viola, cello, bass, french horn (doubling conch shell), guitar (doubling ronroco), harp, laptop with samples/processing, and lots of percussion with vocal soloist.

Next is the PM5D at FOH for another outdoor gig. Also had a Lex 960, an O1V96 sidecar and a few other toys... Don't have photos of the mics and pres from this gig.

The next two are from the music festival that I'm now the sound designer for. We have a great rig- last year was something on the order of 30+ channels of pres. 7.1 surround system for the main seating area, great mics, etc... As you can see, we have to rig speakers to the trees in the venue.

Next is the awesome chair sitting on the loading dock of the concert hall in Bartlesville, OK. Did a festival out there a few years back. This was the chosen chair for those that needed a place to smoke on break.

The last 3 are from a Halloween show a couple years back that reunited most of the members of Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman was not there, but just about everybody else was). I was recording (tracking actually) in a "truck" as there wasn't space inside the venue to set up. The truck was the UHaul that brought a bunch of the backline gear to the venue. Oh well- it worked just fine for the show.

Enjoy!

--Ben
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-acc.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-acc-vox.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-benaroya.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-foh.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-ojai2008_pres.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-ojai2008_tree-spkrs.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-okm-chair.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-vatos-show_truck.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-vatos-show_truck2.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-vatos-show.jpg  

http://www.fifthcircle.com
7th April 2009
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

I found these on my camera - more "historic" churches. No sessions here - just archival recordings done with my workhorse 2-track rig.

The first two are from a gig I do every month for Brooklyn Chamber Music Society. This was from March - Carmit Zori on violin, Julia Lichten on cello, Robert Rinehart on viola and Gilbert Kalish on piano. These concerts take place in the Civil War-era chapel of the First Unitarian Church in Brooklyn. I hope they don't mind that I post their pictures here :-)

The others are from this past weekend. This is St. Mark's Church in the Bowery. I think Peter Stuyvesant is buried here - it is built on the site of his own family chapel I think. It was a New York Composer's Circle concert; that's Miki Nakanishi standing by the piano, not sure who is in the next shot.

I wish I remembered to bring my camera along on gigs more often. It's always nice to have the pictures later.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-bcms_02.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-bcms_04.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-nycc_01.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-nycc_02.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-nycc_03.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-nycc_04.jpg  

The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour. - Japanese Proverb

"Look into his face and hear the music of the ages. Don't pay too much attention to the sounds--for if you do, you may miss the music." - George Ives
http://www.andersonsoundrecording.com

http://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
Remoteness
7th April 2009
Old 7th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

I love the pictures guys - very cool stuff for sure!
7th April 2009
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

I have pictures from three recent and exceptionally diverse jobs.

First is from the GBOB battle of the bands in London. 26 acts and live mixes for video. Sadly I ended up with half the outboard I wanted (needed), was literally a thin door and 15 feet away from the bass stack mixing on headphones for 13 bands a night but, the mixes turned out alright in the end.

The next is from The Jazz Bar in Edinburgh where I did 7 nights for an upcoming live album. I really enjoyed this job as each act had its own challenge and, towards the end of the stint, I was getting really really good at setting up and stripping out. I am recording The Janek Gwizdala Project (with JoJo Mayer!) there this Sunday so more coming soon.

Lastly, a nice gig with the Scottish Chamber Choir at St Giles on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. This was a last minute call so it was kept super simplistic with a main spaced pair up well high and an ORTF pair down low facing the choir. That organ sounded terrifying.

Cool!
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-dsc00213.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00214.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00215.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00217.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00219.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-dsc00268.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00277.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00293.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00299.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-dsc00301.jpg  

7th April 2009
Old 7th April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
That's a sweet looking kit for sure; it sounded as good as it looked.

Here's what that set sounded like... Listen to On-Demand audio

Keep in mind: muliple bands with no sound checks; you got to love festivals.
Sounds great Steve. Isn't it cool how the true greats always manage to sound like themselves, regardless of the setting? I dig those ice bells he has mounted on his cymbals...those things decay for days.
-GD
Remoteness
9th April 2009
Old 9th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
Sounds great Steve. Isn't it cool how the true greats always manage to sound like themselves, regardless of the setting? I dig those ice bells he has mounted on his cymbals...those things decay for days.
-GD
Yes, Duke Markos did an awesome job mixing that broadcast from TBM.

It's true, great artists produce great results.

We are only as good as the musicians we keep!
9th April 2009
Old 9th April 2009
Gear maniac

you guys did a great job nice mix duke.
9th April 2009
Old 9th April 2009
Gear nut

In my camera are forexamble virtualtours
index

Wondering many times, you guys have so wunderful studios, so why not panoramas...
(here my demo tour of Kastelholm castle)
kastel-nappula

Camera tuning - Micro2
9th April 2009
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Peter,

That studio is my idea of a working hell! Its funny how one persons creative work space can the opposite for another.

G
11th April 2009
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Mats H
Emptying the digital camera, here's a jazz recording session from last month. Cheap and expensive mics. DIY and RME mic preamps
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-img_2630.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2637.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2640.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2646.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2649.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-img_2650.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2652.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2653.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2656.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2752.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-img_2660.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-img_2665.jpg  
Remoteness
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Mats,

Nice session / nice pictures!

-----------------------------------------------------------

As many of you already know, Elroy is an actual mobile studio in the sense that it's large enough to set up a live band or anything else for that matter.

Here are three pictures from a session that David Moench, our 2008 summer intern did for his sister's play.

As you can see, we have six musicians and (David) the conductor set-up in Elroy.

Elroy can be set-up almost anywhere as an "on Location' studio environment or seriously large control room that can handle three 48 channel consoles with no sweat.
A fourth console can be added if necessary.

The vehicle was design to handle all sorts of production ventures.
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6186.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6190.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6192.jpg  
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Banned

Pretty cool, Steve. So I guess they pre-recorded the tracks for use in the live play? No live band?
Remoteness
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

From what I understand, that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Pretty cool, Steve. So I guess they pre-recorded the tracks for use in the live play? No live band?
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

easter 2009...

so many holes.....

do you see my hallucination?
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-12042009239.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-12042009243.jpg  
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Steve, what are those 'things' at the side of the mic?
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-mycanon_6196.jpg  
Remoteness
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Steve, what are those 'things' at the side of the mic?
Well, the one in front of the Fathead ribbon mic is a popper stopper.
We wanted to displace the air movement from the instrument.
The one behind the mic is a popper stopper with foam/cardboard which I call that modification a "Micro Gobo."

Check this post out > Remote at the Blue Note!!!

We use them a lot - Drums; guitars; Leslie cabinets; percussion... you name it!
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

A few questions about your use of the shields; What is the material of the shield, do ever mess with the sound in any way especially HF phaseyness, and do you use them as a matter of course or do you only use them to solve a particular problem?
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Last year I went to Africa a bunch of times, but this trip to Ghana with Steel Pulse for the Football championship of Africa was super special. At the last minute they moved the stage from the stadium to and enormous place just across the street because more people than could fit in the stadium to show up for the concert.

Touring in Africa is nothing like touring in the States or Europe, everything is more...let's just say 'chaotic', and this time was no different. But amazingly, and as usual, it always works in the end.

More than 200,000 showed up for the concert that went off without a hitch (technical or otherwise).
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-ghana.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-ghana2.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-ghana3.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-ghana4.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-ghana5.jpg  

What's on your digital camera?-ghana6.jpg   What's on your digital camera?-ghana7.jpg  
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwild View Post
In my camera are forexamble virtualtours
index

Wondering many times, you guys have so wunderful studios, so why not panoramas...
(here my demo tour of Kastelholm castle)
kastel-nappula

Camera tuning - Micro2
Do you have a recording of the "Glo-Coat'ar"
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Gear maniac

not a remote-thing but in my digicam

harrison console in bavaria sound postproduction studios, munich
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your digital camera?-harrison_at_bavaria.jpg  
6th June 2009
Old 6th June 2009
Gear maniac

harrison desks sound fabulious. how many channels and mixer positions is the console at bavaria sound?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search