API 3124M vs ATI 8x2
hollywood_steve
6th April 2003
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

API 3124M vs ATI 8x2

Neither are exactly what I want; a simple 4x2 line level mixer. But if I gotta pay for mic preamps that I don't really need right now, they might as well be really good ones, and these should both qualify. But I haven't been really up on the world of live sound since the 70's, so I don't know much about the ATI gear, specifically the preamps in the 8x2 box. The ATI mixer has more channels and more features than the API 3124m, but does the API offer a significant step up in audio quality or some other less obvious quality?

For someone who needs a basic high quality mixer for "live to 2 track" location recording, which box makes more sense? The ATI sells for about $600 less than the API, but I can't find either of them at local dealers.

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
6th April 2003
Old 6th April 2003
One with big hooves

The only time I've heard ATI stuff was at Steve Remotes place during the pre/mic shootout and I was damn impressed with them. Nice stuff, if I ever needed to add 8 pres I'd probably search one out. It seemed to be less specialized sounding then the API, also had a more extended bottom.
6th April 2003
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Hollywood,

I actually own the 3124+ (not the mixer version) and the ATI.

But I can't believe there isn't a line mixer that is more suited to what you are trying to do. Maybe by Martech?

As far as just comparing the mic pres, they are pretty different. One good thing is they have tons of headroom. The API's have individual metering and a front panel DI on each channel, which the ATI doesn't. The ATI has built-in limiters, but they are of dubious value.

The pres on the API are more colored, the ATI more neutral, but not in any way "lifeless". You can "push" both of them a bit without getting ugly.

Still, are you sure there isn't a piece out there where you would be paying more for the features you actually need?
hollywood_steve
6th April 2003
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Still, are you sure there isn't a piece out there where you would be paying more for the features you actually need?

Looking hard for 2 years; it ain't out there (except way beyond my budget, Manley line level version of the 16x2, etc...)

The old Pultec SP-3 would be great, but how many of those are you gonna find. And Summit made a 4x2 line mixer with their weird tube/SS hybrid technology, but I think they sold about 3 worldwide. THere is a lot of cheap stuff, like the Rane SM26b, but I hate paying for anything that I'm not gonna be thrilled to own 10 years from now.

I did come across a VERY early Manley catalog with no less than 4 different line level mixers, none of which were ever real production models, but they could be custom ordered. But now their entry fee is beyond my reach......

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
7th April 2003
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Would it be mad to suggest the Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro? It's had a lot of good things said about it. I have one which I use just to monitor the main outputs of my road recording system. It certainly has lots of headroom and I've heard the pres are pretty good too. Forget the eq of course. Their website has a good pdf for download. Just a thought.
7th April 2003
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

You could always do a DIY mixer. Forssell Tech has a great paper on the basic design of a summing buss here:

http://www.forsselltech.com/summing%20buss.htm

Looks pretty cool to me. They are also working on a line level mixer according their site.
7th April 2003
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Choose the ATI..if you think you need 4 now...u will need more inputs as your success grows with your new gear/you may need less color in your pres...especially as all inputs will be painted similarly/lower inital cost/greater flexibility mike
7th April 2003
Old 7th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

There IS another option - give Dan Kennedy at Great River Electronics a call and see what he can do for you.
Go here: http://www.greatriverelectronics.com/customprod.html

And then call Dan at (651) 455 • 1846

I've seen some of his custop products - he does great work.
7th April 2003
Old 7th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve

Looking hard for 2 years; it ain't out there (except way beyond my budget, Manley line level version of the 16x2, etc...)
Do you really think the ATI is that much better then a Rane or something? What if you hot-rodded a Rane or lessor mixer?

Pick up a Full Compass or BSW catalog and look through it. There has to be something out there that's between a Wackie and the Manley. Hell, the last time you asked about this it only took a few minutes before I found a few things that looked like they would work for you. Or you could just bite the bullet and build whatever it is that you want. You've been looking for a line mixer for how long now?
8th April 2003
Old 8th April 2003
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search