New Reply
Subscribe
cleantone
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
Gear maniac

Vibraphone recording technics?

Hey hey!

I have a session tomorrow and they sprung the vibraphone from Ghana on me yesterday. Never worked with one. I'm not yet sure but will find out later today if they want to track it live with the band or overdub it. I'm thinging spaced pair of earthworks omni's 2-3 feet above aiming down. Maybe adding a mic underneath in the middle as well. I don't have any PZM types. I wonder if I would need to flip the polarity if I did mic underneath and above, seems like I would. Anyway anyone have anything to add?

There is a resonator guitar too which I have not dealt with yet but feel like a dynamic in the right spot will work okay.
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
urumita

Balaphone! 1 on top, 1 on the bottom or 2 on top. I like to have one mic out side the bass side closer to the keys, about a foot out and a foot above and the second towards the middle pointing at the same angle as the first mic for the top notes. You would only have to flip phase on the bottom if there are mics pointing towards each other, that might be too much though, just get closer with the top mics. I've been favoring wide carioids (schoeps ccm21) and equal angles for mallet instruments and pianos for quite some time.
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
Gear maniac

Okay, yeah I guess it is a balaphone, those are all wood right? Or wood and gourds or something like that. If we are overdubbing them I'll audition km184's but I have no schoeps to works with. I think I want to check out the earthworks on em too. Thanks! Sounds good to me.

Any other input is of course welcome.
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
I'm thinging spaced pair of earthworks omni's 2-3 feet above aiming down. Maybe adding a mic underneath in the middle as well.
Why don´t you try X/Y, that´ll give give you a better stereo image and no noticeable phase problems. A pair of Neumann´s Km184 will do a nice job. Maybe u should first listen to what the performer will play, omni earthworks will give you a really different
sound than the Neumanns, but I think if the piece is made of scales and moves up and down, stay with the 184´s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
I don't have any PZM types. I wonder if I would need to flip the polarity if I did mic underneath and above, seems like I would. Anyway anyone have anything to add?
Be carefull with the rotor. Remeber vibraphones some times, depending on model and DATE OF PURCHASE, will make a lot of noise! So this sound would be an issue in any type of recordings. Also be carefull with the pedal, it sound a lot! Maybe you sgould put a little piece of clothe between the pedal and the floor.

Hope this works for u! thumbsup
PUPO
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hi,
The best result recording vibes i got was with pair of m160 ribbons ca. 4' above the vibes in ortf (but a bit more sprad) I also used c414 under but didn't use it on this mix.
it was an over dub session on acoustic music (not jazz)
www.lowswing.de
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
Lives for gear

BALAPHONE?

SORRY!

If its a BALAPHONE just forget all that I just wrote!
cleantone
11th June 2005
Old 11th June 2005
Gear maniac

The guitarist told me "vibraphone from ghana" and after rojo said balaphone it clicked that I bet thats what they have. I'll find out sometime today when I wrap up details. If we track totally live at once my only two 184's may be spoken for.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search