Login / Register

Tags: , ,

Mic Mounts for Schoeps
New Reply
Subscribe
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

I received a bunch of Rycote Invision (INV-3, INV-6 and INV-7) a couple a days ago and some of them seem to have a nice low resonance frequency with some mics.

Tapping the mic stand it makes a big difference when I touch the mount itself or the mic.

However the small lyres are softer than the bigger ones and the combination of INV-6 (big lyre) with Line Audio CM3 (which is a light mic for its size) seem to result in a much to stiff system.

Also the effective action get's much worse if the mount/mic is angled since that stretches the suspension to an "end position" where the suspension becomes stiffer and that means less absorbtion due to the system resonance is pushed up in frequency.

I will try some inner tubing with a slab of metall/wood/stone under each leg/foot of the tripod to decouple the whole shebang from the floor, and let the shock mount take care of energy that hit the tripod or mic directly.

/Peter
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

Floppy shocky or inertia?

Not enough situations require an elastic spider mount to justify its one-size-fits-all ubiquity for me - the foam on the feet solution works great with foot stompers but I have adopted lead balls in canvas pencil cases or tool bags, laid over the three legs of 9-ft stands to provide a vibration-free sound and prevent excited bassonists or their percussion friends from tipping a stand over - it still astounds me to see a 25yr-old in a tuxedo running around a main stereo stand and bang into it, almost bringing the whole rig down - so no foam feet there. The Enhanced Audio M600 is a useful bit of kit to some and not to others - beautifully made and appropriately priced. I have more problems with coughing and car alarms than stand-born rumble.
WT
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibell View Post
I have more problems with coughing and car alarms than stand-born rumble.
WT
Thoose "coughers"..

If I'm ill in a flue/cold and "coughs" I stay home from concerts and even the cinema. Wouldn't dream of spoiling a happening for other people.

/Peter
divingduck
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear maniac

I'm happy with the Rycotes I bought as a result of this thread - as I had no mounts for the Schoeps at all, they are well fit for general use.

Interested in more suggestions for foam to stuff under stand legs...
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't had time to record with them yet but I think I like the INV-3 with MKH8020/40 and the INv-7 fit the QTC1 very well.

/Peter
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Gear nut

Mic mounts

Over the years I have tried many different mounts. More recently I too tried the Rycote mounts. Handling noise was very evident. Price point is nice though. I went back to my KTek rubber/aluminum mount. Quieter than the Rycote at almost twice the cost.
Another one I would like to try is the Cinela. They make mounts for a number of different microphone manufacters.

Still looking for the best mic mount!!

David
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonare View Post
Well put! Could you suggest which foam out of the myriad work best for this? I uspect 5 pound, but am wondering what you have in mind--

Rich
Rich, not sure what density foam I use. The test is the static deflection when the stand is put on the foam. It should be at least 25 mm or more. The stand ends up being quite wobbly, but still stable. I use Manfrotto stands exclusively, despite what Onno says about resonances in the aluminium tubes.
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

David,

foam on the floor.. and something else between the stand and the foam?

I don't know your stands but I assume they are tripods?

/Peter
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Peter, no nothing else between leg and floor. Typically its 50mm thick foam rubber, a small block of it about 75mm x 75mm x 50mm under each leg.

Needless to say this does not work for live concerts where traffic past the stand could knock it over. We fly mics in these situations, there no "shock" mounts are needed.
30th December 2008
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rojo7 View Post
I have 6 Schoeps CCM series and I'm wondering which of the Rycote would the correct choice for these. Thanks
The INV-1 (or INV-4) for the CCM with Lemo - details are HERE.

The In-Visions *do* actually work extremely well, which is why I am swapping all mine over to these. But don't forget that sound also transmits up the cable and to use flexible cabel and use the gable grip to isolate the cable.

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
30th December 2008
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The INV-1 (or INV-4) for the CCM with Lemo - details are HERE.

The In-Visions *do* actually work extremely well, which is why I am swapping all mine over to these. But don't forget that sound also transmits up the cable and to use flexible cabel and use the gable grip to isolate the cable.
I just got a pair of the INV3's. They even fit into the Schoeps cases!
30th December 2008
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
Over the years I have tried many different mounts. More recently I too tried the Rycote mounts. Handling noise was very evident. Price point is nice though.
This surprises me - what mic. cable were you using?

With my Rycote InVisions I use a short length of very flexible mic. cable to go from the mic. itself through the cable grip on the shockmount.

This effectively decouples the mic. from the cable - otherwise you find the handling noise is coming up the cable.

Rycote make the S-series mic. tail available for the InVision series for this very reason.
30th December 2008
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Unfortunately the cable grip on the INV-3 doesn't work well with a K&M flat bar as the cable hinders free adjustment of the mount (cable grip ends up being very close to the bar).

I'm getting some velcro to fasten the cable at two points on the upper part of the stand instead. Just as effective and i do agree with you John that it is important to decouple the cable.

/Peter
30th December 2008
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Unfortunately the cable grip on the INV-3 doesn't work well with a K&M flat bar as the cable hinders free adjustment of the mount (cable grip ends up being very close to the bar).
I have had no problem with mine -but I have been using the Rycote S-series tail which is thin and flexible and I did not have a problem with this.

Alternatively - the InVision series now comes with a 5/8" adaptor; you could always use a 5/8" to 3/8" adaptor as well as this would raise the mount by about an inch.
13th February 2009
Old 13th February 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Attention NOLAfishwater!!!

As you can noticed -- I deleted your "Sales" post. This is not acceptable on this forum or anywhere else on Gearslutz.com.

Post just one more "Sales Pitch" post on my forum and I will ban you and your IP address for life.

If you want to sell some used gear, use the proper GS Classifieds forum.
If you want to sell your new products, buy a GS banner ad.

If you want to jam me up with this crap, believe me it's going to be a loosing proposition for you...

Consider this your only warning!

Oh, and don't even think about giving me any shit for this.

Thank you (in advance) for understanding my position on this matter.
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Experimenting with a MS setup using an INV-3 and the double plastic clip from the Schoeps MS shockmount. So far, seems to work fine, and the Schoeps double hole foam windscreen fits on it.

The Schoeps MS mount is prohibitively expensive and very bulky, but the double clip is an inexpensive part available from Schoeps dealers.

Jonathan Starr
Big Gorilla Sound
Twixt reef & jungle
Wailuku, Maui
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
The Schoeps MS mount is prohibitively expensive and very bulky, but the double clip is an inexpensive part available from Schoeps dealers.
Jonathan, what is the part number for that Schoeps clip??
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Got to check the part number next week when I get back to town.

I called up Jerry at Posthorn and he knew just what I meant and he had it to me in a couple of days. Also the windscreen which cost about 5 times as much.
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Hmmm..

I don't really want to start a discussion, but it's kind of interesting how this guy gets such a harsh treatment, whereas some of the moderators on GS are dealers and/or software developers and have no problem promoting their stuff..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Attention NOLAfishwater!!!

As you can noticed -- I deleted your "Sales" post. This is not acceptable on this forum or anywhere else on Gearslutz.com.

Post just one more "Sales Pitch" post on my forum and I will ban you and your IP address for life.

If you want to sell some used gear, use the proper GS Classifieds forum.
If you want to sell your new products, buy a GS banner ad.

If you want to jam me up with this crap, believe me it's going to be a loosing proposition for you...

Consider this your only warning!

Oh, and don't even think about giving me any shit for this.

Thank you (in advance) for understanding my position on this matter.
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Banned

Have you ever seen Steve promoting his own products and/or services? Then you can't put him in the same category as "some" moderators. This isn't other forums; I think most of us will find the standard a little higher here.
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Have you ever seen Steve promoting his own products and/or services? Then you can't put him in the same category as "some" moderators. This isn't other forums; I think most of us will find the standard a little higher here.
Very true..

I was just saying..
15th February 2009
Old 15th February 2009
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

NOLAfishwater and I have already worked things out and everything is cool between us.
I look forward to reading his posts in the future...

Just for the recorded, I would not have been so heavy if he just posted one little old thread.
I would have taken a totally different approach.
I would have deleted the post and sent him a PM explaining why.
Since he never bothered to PM me or Jules or read the rules I felt I had to put my foot down.

The fact of the matter is that he posted multiple threads in a few different forums.
He continuously bumping those to the top of the page.
That's a violation to the GS rules and IMO not very cool either.

With that said, I must say that he has been very positive about all this and understands where the mistakes have happened. I am truly pleased on how he handled himself behind the scenes.
He's a stand up guy and I took note on his optimistic and hopeful attitude about all this.

Look, like I said above we worked everything out and all is well in Remoteville.

I cannot speak for the other moderators or their forums for that matter.
I only can speak for myself and this modest little forum called "Remote Possibilities..."
I do my best to keep the quality of this forum as high as it can be for the betterment of the members at large that frequent it.

This October (2009) will make it seven years since I started this forum.
Keep in mind that there were only a hand full of issues (including this one) that have occurred in almost seven years. That's a hand full of issues in nearly seven years not seven days!
This actuality should speak for itself.

If anyone needs to continue this off-topic discussion please consider starting a new thread.

Now, let us get back on topic.
15th February 2009
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Jonathan, what is the part number for that Schoeps clip??
This is the description that Jerry has for it on the Posthorn Schoeps Spare and Replacement parts page:

Center-piece back-to-back clip for AMS 22 Elastic Suspension

Posthorn | Schoeps Spare and Replacement Parts
15th February 2009
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
This is the description that Jerry has for it on the Posthorn Schoeps Spare and Replacement parts page:

Center-piece back-to-back clip for AMS 22 Elastic Suspension

Posthorn | Schoeps Spare and Replacement Parts

My dog thanks your gorilla. I found the part and it is cheap. For the record, Schoeps has a cheap part.
15th February 2009
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
My dog thanks your gorilla. I found the part and it is cheap. For the record, Schoeps has a cheap part.
Yes.

I wanted to order 10 of them!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search