Tags: , ,

Good classical recording software for MacBook Pro ?
ISedlacek
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Question Good classical recording software for MacBook Pro ?

After 3 years I switched back to Mac (on my laptop) and the quality difference is stunning (both software and hardware-wise). I just deeply regret that Samplitude is not available for Mac (I would then throw out also my studio PC ). I plan to use MacBook Pro also for occassional mobile recordings, but I somehow don´t feel like poluting it with Windows installation It is just a question of recording 2-8 ch takes, then I can bring them to Samplitude and continue working with them in the studio. I just wonder which Mac software would be very good and reliable for this task ? Just simple functions needed ... Was thinking of Cubase, but maybe not typical for classical recordings ? Or does not matter ?
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

You could check out Audacity for starters:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

or Reaper:

REAPER | Download

I'm also looking for some other option than my PC laptop (much problems, noisy and interupts click/pops and so on, even with ASIO) and right now I'm thinking on two alternatives:

1) 15" Macbook Proo.

2) A bare bones custom PC remote controlled by a laptop the way you described in a post recently.

/Peter
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear maniac

Ummmm, Logic??
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear maniac

dear IVO, i use macbook pro because OSX is more stable. But i have to admit that there is not a software in mac good as samplitude/sequoia.

cubase/nuendo: is not good on mac.
pro tools: i m not interested because i don t use digidesign hardware.
logic pro: i don t like it, full of bugs by apple bought it
digital performer: i use it, it is a very good piece of software, the audio engine and audio editing is very deep and professional. The best software to film scoring.

on the other hand, perhaps the only mac software similar to sequoia or sadie is soundblade, but i don t know it.

the problem in mac are the plug in also. i cant see nothing similar to algorithmix plug in (only for windows) for classical editing.

In mac i use altiverb as reverb and izotope plug in for restoration and dithering. It is professional too, but not as algorithmix.

cheers,

Alessandro.
ISedlacek
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Ummmm, Logic??
Nice joke ... I am not into masochism yet

I also don´t need any plugins etc. just to record few tracks ...

Nothing more suitable (that I know) and that works under Mac does not come to my mind - than cubase.

I will have a look at Audacity and Reaper ... but maybe the "old" softwares are more "steady" ?

I too was thinking of a rack PC (and actually got one). But somehow a laptop is so cute, small and comfortable solution and Macbook Pro is a great one ... Rack PC is heavy and instead of using a remote laptop , why not using laptop itself. I have an old Magma PCI expansion. But just now I was a bit shocked (pleasantly) by this: ExpressCard 34 to PCI Expansion Box - PC & Macintosh Comparing to the hugely ovepriced Magma, it looks quite incredible ... it costs like a mere Magma PCMCIA- PCIE adapter (which Virtuavia provides for 50 EUR)... Looks really interesting
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear addict

buy a metric halo IO and use the record function with their console software.
ISedlacek
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

I need only AES EBU connections (and not more than 8), some inbuilt preamps, converters and other type of interfaces have absolutely no meaning for me ...

PS: looked at the Audacity and Reaper ... well they seem like some "road construction in progress ..." ... I would not mind even ProTools for this purpose but I think for that you have to use their rather unuseable Digi 00X interfaces ...

I hope I will not have to install windows .,..
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Its a myth that the MacPro is more stable and better "sounding" than a PC laptop. You need to revise your "experiments" that led to this conclusion.

Also, if you just need recording software without any need for FX or any other bells and whistles, and I, like you just need this, then Reaper is an excellent choice.

It is written by a guy that knows how to program properly, witness its 5MB program size, its tiny resource use and stability. Its UI is very easy to use and flexible. I have also purchased Samplitude 10 for my IBM laptop for location recording and pure data acquisition and regret it.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear addict

I've not used it for this purpose, but I enjoy editing with Wave Editor; it might be okay for just printing some tracks to disk?

Audiofile Engineering
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear addict

P.S.

Avoid anything from BIAS if you're concerned about program stability.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

On Mac I think that Metric Halo is a very professional set-up.
I have used it and especially in upgraded form, its mic amps, converters and all the rest are very well thought out and they sound very good.

However, in your case, I guess I would not change computers and lose using Magix products just to add the possibility of "cuteness."

What do I know though?? I'm someone who spent a lot of money to use a Nagra that is really a computer disguised as a tape recorder.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Guru

Yeah, well I agree on the Metric Halo. On my 2882+dsp/2d I don't use the preamps. I have (gasp!) Millennia HV-3D practically hardwired to it. But it's the Record Panel that is the real joy, especially in your circumstances. Straight and simple, direct recording. Not a glitch anywhere in sight.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Boom Recorder/ is tha program!

Congratulations for coming to the good side!!!!
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoteque View Post

Wow, that's the exact kind of program I've have been wishing for. I use logic now, and it is total overkill for recording with just a stero pair. Just downloaded the two track trial.

Many thanks!
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear maniac

What a large number of us are doing is running XP under Bootcamp on a macbook pro and then using Pyramix or in my case Sadie. I can't really find any downsides to it - I love the fact you get the illuminated keyboard in low light - a silly little thing but it is ideal for the kind of environment I tend to work in. The windows side is usually kept off the net completely so it is safe and resilient. You may hate the idea but as I say, it is a very popular choice and much easier to set up than I imagined. I've done it a few times now on a couple of different laptops. You used to have to create a disk of drivers but with Leopard you don't even need that any more. Its just a wizrad thing. You do need a copy of XP but not hard to come by these days.

Matt
ISedlacek
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Its a myth that the MacPro is more stable and better "sounding" than a PC laptop. You need to revise your "experiments" that led to this conclusion.

Also, if you just need recording software without any need for FX or any other bells and whistles, and I, like you just need this, then Reaper is an excellent choice.

It is written by a guy that knows how to program properly, witness its 5MB program size, its tiny resource use and stability. Its UI is very easy to use and flexible. I have also purchased Samplitude 10 for my IBM laptop for location recording and pure data acquisition and regret it.
I did not get Macbook Pro for "sounding better" ... I just got so much fed up with my Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista (stupid, unstable etc.) that now I feel like changing from a Ford pickup to the BMW limousine ... For me the laptop is basically for internet, office, entertainment etc - for that, mac HW with Leopard is simply another league, starting with connecting an externall disc (windows start with those endless tiring dialogues about "discovering a new HW", "step by step wizard" etc. to the Mac you simply connect it and it is there) and 1000+1 other things. Plus you don´t need any obstructing antivirus software that infiltrates your whole system - and that´s quite a significant factor for its stability (including recording purpose)

My field recording activities happen once in a blue moon ... but I feel Macbook could be an excellent choice for it as well ... I will try that Reaper, or will simply install XP just for Samplitude ...

Here in Taiwan I have to use a PC laptop again (that small Asus EEE). One gets used to the highly inteligent OS (Leopard) so quickly that now I feel like a poor faquir jumping on those incredibly unfriendly Windows nails

After I return, I will experiment with the optimal recording SW solution, since I may get to some field recording very soon. As for the interface, I only need few AES EBU connections, nothing more ... Either I will get the PCMCIA adapter for my old Magma or get the new Virtuavia PCIe expansion to put the Lynx AES-16 in ...

Thank you all for the input ...

(what a pity that Samplitude will not be made for Mac ... all those endless troubles with Windows nature and billions of combinations of various HW mix and obscure drivers etc. (where majority of them bring some new unexpected trouble) would come to an end ... Everything could be properly tuned just to one system and HW setup ...) )) And one would not have to see Windows any more ...
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Ivo, I am sorry to see you had problems with drivers and Vista. I agree Vista is tiresome, but the new Windows 7 is going to be good with the install model of Server2008 where only the stuff you want/need is going to be installed.

A correctly setup XP box is much more stable than a Mac, and this is why its the mandatory choice in critical business, engineering & mining, medical, legal, government and broadcasting industries. This is also why companies like Magix, Sadie, SSL only write/develop for Windows.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafalio View Post
dear IVO, i use macbook pro because OSX is more stable. But i have to admit that there is not a software in mac good as samplitude/sequoia.

cubase/nuendo: is not good on mac.
Nuendo is absolutely fine on a Mac. No issues at all here - have cut several movie soundtracks on it so to say it's bunk defies the fact of he work I've got out there !!

Quote:
pro tools: i m not interested because i don t use digidesign hardware.
You can use whatever converters you like with digital interfaces....same as Sadie. Me? Prism and Aurora.

Quote:
logic pro: i don t like it, full of bugs by apple bought it
Logic 8 sems okay to me - yeah bugs, but no more than anything ese - but point taken. I don't like it either.

Quote:
digital performer: i use it, it is a very good piece of software, the audio engine and audio editing is very deep and professional. The best software to film scoring.
Never liked that software - but many do. As for best? If you csn't do it in any of them - then you can' do it. For film scoring in particular - Nuendo has some great technical specs.... one of the reasons we use it.

Quote:
the problem in mac are the plug in also. i cant see nothing similar to algorithmix plug in (only for windows) for classical editing.
there are many plugins as good as algorithmix for Protools. GML for one. BX-digital for another. As for flux - epure......for me, BETTER than algorithmix..... Works for orchestra....not that I don't like or use Algorithmix (or rather I did until we finally binned our last PC in August)....it's great.

Algorithmix DO make renovator for Mac - and that is a great plugin for orchestral work - bow noises etc for film work...
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
... I just got so much fed up with my Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista (stupid, unstable etc.)
Without wanting to start a general Mac/Windows argument, I think your experience would have been better with XP instead of Vista. I've been running XP on a technically outdated 900 Mhz Toshiba for my recordings for years, and now I sometimes use a fairly current Acer, and the system works just fine. You could have simply tried installing XP, then you could run Samplitude...

If you go for Windows on the Mac, stay away from Vista, too...

And while I haven't tried it, I'm sure Nuendo (even some older version) is a good choice. Or make some test recordings with Reaper...

Daniel
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, "downgrade" to XP and call it a day.

3 SADiE systems run here for 13 years on XP without problems.

Best wishes,

Plush
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

I've got both Mac and Windows at home here (Samplitude on Windows, Logic on Mac). Let's please stay away from platform holy wars here because both have their uses and either can work well in the studio. Persons who insist on the superiority of one platform frequently have little experience with the other. (And I say this as a one-time Apple employee.) The studio where I work is mostly Windows/Nuendo, in fact.
Back to the topic at hand: yes, you can run Samplitude beautifully on Windows on an Intel Mac. I did so on my Macbook for awhile. I got sick of dual-booting, so I no longer do. I suspect Ivo's rationale is similar. I do like Logic 8 and think that even the stock plugs are quite good - the stock EQ sounds to my ears similar to Sam's stock EQ. I've recently gotten to see SoundBlade in action and it's quite impressive. For someone who's coming from more of a Samplitude/Sequoia/Pyramix/Sadie paradigm, it might be more congenial. I think it works with any hardware, though this rig had the SoundBlade hardware, which (I think) is a rebadged Metric Halo box. I do, however, have the feeling that SoundBlade is quite expensive, so if this for a "second" rig which doesn't see much recording action, SB may be overkill.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
3 SADiE systems run here for 13 years on XP without problems.
Wow, you had XP before I even had Windows 95...
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
... all those endless troubles with Windows nature and billions of combinations of various HW mix and obscure drivers etc. (where majority of them bring some new unexpected trouble) would come to an end ... Everything could be properly tuned just to one system and HW setup ...) )) And one would not have to see Windows any more ...
Amen!

I switched to mac 5 years ago when having problems with protools digi002 (and other PC problems before...). it wasn't compatible with FW chipset on my laptop (WTF?) so I bought Digi recommended adaptec PCMCIA FW interface and when digi002 plugged in to that the whole computer would freeze.........?!?!?!?!!?!

I thought "there HAS to be a better way" and luckily there was... Mac. Ended up ditching protools and going to Cubase 4 recently which i'm quite happy with now, works well with optical in/out on macbook pro too... Tried logic but it seems to me they got the name wrong on that one.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

If you are simply wanting to write incoming digital data from an audio interface to disk, anything that doesn't crash in the process will do - the result will be identical regardless what you use.

So therefore you come down to factors such as stability (first) followed by ease of use and location-recording-relevant features.

Reaper on a PC is in my experience highly stable. I was an early adopter (first pro licencee in fact) and since I've used it, I can only recall one occasion a couple of years back when it crashed during recording when I did a certain (totally unnecessary!) mouse operation during a concert. Fortunately because it starts up in about five seconds, I didn't miss much and of course I was running an independent stereo backup, so no disaster.

The next day I reported the problem on the Reaper forum and that day a fix was released (and the fix worked!).

The Mac version is a port from the PC version and its status is beta (I believe) - but I don't recall seeing stability problems reported on the Reaper forum. It's more that some non-core features in the Windows version may not be present in the Mac version.

So then one comes to ease of setup and use. Of course that tends to be subjective but I've found Reaper way quicker to configure than Cubase (SX2) on location.

For location use it has handy features like being able to have a set of keyboard shortcuts purely for recording - which could if you want omit anything that might stop the recording, but would allow you to drop markers or whatever else is "safe". You can arm/disarm tracks on the fly or even reconfigure track inputs while recording. You can record direct to Wavpack lossless files to save drive space with no quality loss. You can set the point at which files are split (gaplessly) in very long recordings. You can set up a key which closes the file set at a point of your chosing and starts recording another file set with no gap (thanks for suggesting that feature to them, David!). And you can continuously log the stereo output from the master channel to any reasonable format whether the transport is recording or not. And so forth.

Because it's such a tiny download and almost instant install, it's very painless to try. And there's no protection of the program so no dongle to remember to carry, and no missing features before you register it after 30 days or voluntarily delete it from your system. And certainly the PC version can be installed and run from a USB key so you can take that with you and use whatever hardware happens to be at the place you're at, if going round studios or whatever.

Personally I think it's great for editing and post-production too, but of course everyone has an opinion on that!

Despite appearances, I'm not really saying "you have to use Reaper" but I am suggesting a basis for evaluating the contenders - which has the best features really relevant to the task you have in mind? (And then, which is cheapest!).
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Quote:

i have used Boom Recorder in several critical situations
and it works flawlessly. i've tried it with several different
audio interfaces with excellent results.

good luck,
marty.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Looks neat and addresses the apparent requirement well - but it's a bit pricey surely for a program that simply records and meters? Still, in a way, I guess price doesn't matter when the solution is right.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
A correctly setup XP box is much more stable than a Mac
1) Who will set it up?? PCs are good for IT people, they can make money setting/repairing PCs.

2) How long does your XP box stay "well setup" if you surf everyday on internet?? Even if you DON'T surf??

3) Why shouldn't you use your computer for other things than recording?? If you need just a recorder, probably a Nagra or a Radar is better. The nicest things about computers is you can do DIFFERENT things with them.

4) How can something that you need to setup be MORE stable than something that is already stable from the begining???

I can understand someone prefer one to the other. I can't believe someone who used both defend PCs. tutt

Choose your poison and live with it!!!
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
After 3 years I switched back to Mac (on my laptop) and the quality difference is stunning (both software and hardware-wise). I just deeply regret that Samplitude is not available for Mac
In this situation I would run Samplitude under Boot Camp.

Otherwise use Pyramix (which I think is a Mac program).
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
In this situation I would run Samplitude under Boot Camp.

Otherwise use Pyramix (which I think is a Mac program).
Pyramix is PC only.
ISedlacek
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) Who will set it up?? PCs are good for IT people, they can make money setting/repairing PCs.

2) How long does your XP box stay "well setup" if you surf everyday on internet?? Even if you DON'T surf??

3) Why shouldn't you use your computer for other things than recording?? If you need just a recorder, probably a Nagra or a Radar is better. The nicest things about computers is you can do DIFFERENT things with them.

4) How can something that you need to setup be MORE stable than something that is already stable from the begining???
How true it is ) Just recently I made a computer for Samplitude exactly according to their HW recommendations, still it does not work too well. During some discussions it again seems that there are some difference in some drivers, you have to put not the version 125 of the driver buth only version 86 ) And also you need an expert who will check some special values in the system, put something in the register and perhaps also the BIOS needs some adjustments (results not sure of course ...) I become really fed up with this kind of endless PC Lego grocery ...

I am a bit reluctant to the boot camp. One of the nice features of Mac OSX is that it starts the computer quite fast, I don´t want to have to choose every time at startup which OS to use ... So I better look at some local OSX native application.

I have looked at Reaper ... not very intuitive for me at the beginning and completely new ...
. Probably I will return to Cubase which I was shortly using long time ago
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search