OMG - this is really done well...

http://www.plugheadproductions.com
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
No, it's not. Wynton Marsalis' conservatism has done more to kill jazz than anything. His lionization of Armstrong and Ellington, at the expense of more forward-looking icons, such as Ornette Coleman, is just pathetic. And, as this video demonstates, he's a mediocre improviser, at best.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

Oh no! That was bad!! Trouble is, it almost sounds too hip! I loved it. Thanks!
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia View Post
No, it's not. Wynton Marsalis' conservatism has done more to kill jazz than anything. His lionization of Armstrong and Ellington, at the expense of more forward-looking icons, such as Ornette Coleman, is just pathetic. And, as this video demonstates, he's a mediocre improviser, at best.

OMG. Should I spill the beans now??
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Quote:

+1. Could not agree more. Wynton is an a****le and one of the more overrated musicians of our time.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear maniac

Does nobody else realize that this is a fake? Just like all the other "<insert name here> shreds" videos that used to be on YouTube? The only difference is that this one is done well enough to be convincing for the first few seconds, because all the others got yanked off. It'll take people awhile to realize this is one of them, I guess...e.

But seriously, who honestly thinks Wynton Marsalis could play as bad as that video indicates? On national TV, no less? Get real...

Here's the real video:

YouTube - Wynton Marsalis on Letterman
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Jesus that is a funny video. LMAO

Just horrendous.....

Ok now I'll watch the real video.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Lmao!
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Someone must have it out for Marallis --- because the music on the fake was fairly well synced.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyman View Post
re: the real vid,

is it just me or does that guy have some straaaange syncopation? for much of it, it's like him and the band are two completely separate entities. very odd. i don't get it.

great band though.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Head

ooo yeah that was pretty bad.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

I love it!
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

I so funny when guys get caught and fooled by these things! People get all indignant. LOL.

I think you guys are over reacting about Wynton. Yeah he is Wynton and he's not my favorite jazz trumpeter, by a long shot, but the guy can play. I don't quite understand the hostility. I mean it's not White Stripes! If you want to get hostile take it out on their drummer.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
*lets out a long, drawn out sigh...*
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Yeah he is Wynton and he's not my favorite jazz trumpeter, by a long shot, but the guy can play. I don't quite understand the hostility.
He's a competent, yet unadventurous and reactionary, musician.

The main problem if I have with him has more to do with the wool he pulled over the eyes of Ken Burns during the PBS "Jazz" documentary series. Burns, who admitted he knew next to nothing about jazz, basically turned over the reins to Marsalis. What we saw was "Jazz, According to Wynton," i.e., 80 percent focus on the least interesting part of the genre's history (pre-1940), about 15 percent on its most interesting part (1940-1965), and then basically nothing after that. (Didn't even mention the most gifted pianist of the last forty years -- Keith Jarrett.)

This thread is going to turn so bad. -- travisbrown

My mileage does not vary. -- RawBeanZen

It's time to ask yourself the timeless question: What Would Steve Albini Do? -- joelpatterson

What is your problem? -- Silver Sonya

About My Avatar...
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
80 percent focus on the least interesting part of the genre's history (pre-1940), about 15 percent on its most interesting part (1940-1965), and then basically nothing after that. (Didn't even mention the most gifted pianist of the last forty years -- Keith Jarrett.)
I couldn't agree with this any less.

The beginnings and origins of anything, are the most fascinating.

Nothing after 70's. Uhmmmmm...I wonder why.

-2xMac Pro,4xVisionDaw PC
-Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro
-All EWQL Libraries, Kontakt Komplete
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

actually, that was pretty good.. wynton has damn good control.. what are you expecting, coltrane on the letterman show?

for a dude who can only let so much thru (dir lincoln center, a bridge btw the old and rich and jazz) hes not doing too shabby.. u know he pulls $1m JUST to lead lincoln center, not incl the worldwide gigs he gets...

last 12 bars of that song has some pretty innaresting chords..
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
actually, that was pretty good.. wynton has damn good control.. what are you expecting, coltrane on the letterman show?
YouTube - Miles davis et John Coltrane - So what

i don't know much about jazz so correct me if i'm dead wrong, but imo, marsalis sounds like he's mostly trying to channel coltrane, but that seems to be a dangerous thing to attempt. to me, coltrane comes off to me as a kind of wild player. he seems tonally and rhythmically willing to separate himself from everything else going on at the moment. cool when it works (ie. in the link with miles right above), just wacky and dissonant when it doesn't..

i think i prefer guys like miles who play it safe and stick to the song. it can be less 'experimental' but it's more natural and listenable to me. brings out the underlying music instead of fighting it. i would have loved to hear miles over wynton's backup song. the melody and vibe would have been awesome i'm sure. but maybe that goes without saying. dunno.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

I definitely prefer Miles.

Quality over quantity, that's not accidental...
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
just to complete this fun thread the original version

21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Someone already posted a link to that.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
very well.
i had to test the youtube embedding feature the first time.
PlugHead
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to PlugHead Send a message via Skype™ to PlugHead
The funny thing is, the guy who noodled on trumpet for this is obviously a good player, but in all honesty - I kinda dig this MORE than anything I ever heard Wynton play, real or imagined!!!

I hope folks do realize this is a sham - just watch the strings - and those lines - WOW...

The labour involved hacking this to sync Wynton is nothing short of stellar - hats off to the dude!
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

That's quite honestly the best fake I've ever seen. Yes, the trumpet player who did the fakery does seem like he/she is actually pretty good. I'm a trumpet player and I must admit I'm impressed with how good the fake is. The only reason I figured it out in less than 5 seconds is because the tone was way off.

I can't for the live of me understand why anyone would be against the guy. He did an awful lot to rehabilitate jazz music and bring back some mainstream commercial success that benifetted a lot of other jazz musicians trying to make a living. The guy is insanely talented. No, he's not Miles Davis, but who is? That's like not liking a basketball player because they aren't Michael Jordan.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
He's a competent, yet unadventurous and reactionary, musician.

The main problem if I have with him has more to do with the wool he pulled over the eyes of Ken Burns during the PBS "Jazz" documentary series. Burns, who admitted he knew next to nothing about jazz, basically turned over the reins to Marsalis. What we saw was "Jazz, According to Wynton," i.e., 80 percent focus on the least interesting part of the genre's history (pre-1940), about 15 percent on its most interesting part (1940-1965), and then basically nothing after that. (Didn't even mention the most gifted pianist of the last forty years -- Keith Jarrett.)
Well we just disagree on a lot of what you wrote. I actually think the beginnings of jazz are some of the MOST interesting. I love all that history. And except for being a bit long in the toot on Armstrong and leaving out some very important figures like Mingus, Jarrett, Corea, Dolphy, etc, I think the Ken Burns documentary is remarkable. There isn't anything else even close to it, in terms of a serous video documentary of jazz and it's development.

You just aren't going to please all of the people all of the time.

As a trumpet player Wynton doesn't do a lot for me, but he can PLAY. I prefer Hubbard and Brownie. Wynton has reminded me of all the history that is jazz. That jazz isn't necessarily ONLY about innovation. Only a few people innovate anyway. It can also be about cultivating what you have. He's only one guy with an opinion. I don't give him that much power, you know?

Jarrett, to me, is important, but not the most important. His solo piano concerts are can be astounding, especially that he has the audacity to do it. That he's been able to hold on to his sense of wonder and naivete about creating at the piano is beautiful. But he's not, to me, the MOST important figure to play jazz piano in the last 40 years.

It's all about opinion. Anyone is welcome to them.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I can't for the live of me understand why anyone would be against the guy. He did an awful lot to rehabilitate jazz music and bring back some mainstream commercial success that benifetted a lot of other jazz musicians trying to make a living. The guy is insanely talented. No, he's not Miles Davis, but who is? That's like not liking a basketball player because they aren't Michael Jordan.
PlugHead
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to PlugHead Send a message via Skype™ to PlugHead
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
BTW - "I" have nothing against Wynton, and I think he is an incredibly talented player.

However, that has no bearing on whether me or anyone else 'likes' his music, or his solos. I think he is a phenomenal talent, but IMO, he is SOOO mainstream, he does a disservice to jazz, which should always be forward thinking and expanding, instead riding the patriotism of it's heritage.

The great thing is, opinions are like bellybuttons - we all have one. Tho you might not agree, I argue your right to voice your thoughts. The only downside with the internet is there are far too many wannabe tuff-guys sporting 'tudes and tend to love stirring the pot.

Just ignore the BS, and focus on keeping it real... thumbsupthumbsup
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

When asked what he thought about Wynton Marsalis, Miles replied "That boy acts like somebody asked him a question."
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
so much wrong with this.

first, jazz, ostensibly, was already "dead" when wynton came on the scene nationally in the mid 80's...; miles, if you recall, had quit playing and when he came back, he was playing tunes like "human nature" and "time after time" and was, technically speaking, a shadow of the man who played "freedom jazz dance" and "nefrititi" etc. etc..

second, it was miles davis himself who blamed the death of jazz SQUARELY on ornette coleman, don cherry, eric dolphy, and the free jazz movement of the late 60's which turned off many listeners right at the time rock was making major inroads.

third, its hard to imagine ANYONE more forward looking than armstrong and ellington, since they more or less invented jazz from scratch...

if you get into the recordings of the period, and study the "hot fives" and "hot sevens" or the early duke ellington recordings from 1925 etc. w. bubber miley, and compare them to the general sounds of the day, you realize that what those guys were doing was FAR more offset and radical in the context of the times WITH the added benefit that armstrong, ellington, henderson, etc convinced society as a whole that the way they were playing was the RIGHT way!

this is something that coleman and his followers, great as they were/are, have never been able to do.

i mean, its like saying a history of rock video concentrated too much on elvis and the beatles and not enough on joe satriani.

fourth, the fact that you couldn't tell it WASN'T really wynton playing, and that the guy who spoofed it still made you think it was wynton doing "mediocre" improvising shows that you really don't know what you're talking about.

i love all these "progressive" musicians, like the cats at the new england conservatory, who talk "wynton sucks because of this... wynton sucks because of that" and then, when they are invited to get up and play with him at a master class, they forget the chords to "stella by starlight" and make fools of themselves and start trying to pluck the piano strings or buzz on their horn to compensate.

the guys who made the shredding video are all competent musicians, to be sure, but the cats who make up the lincoln center jazz orchestra are not to be sneezed at.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search