I would like to you to comment on my website
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Interesting and OK.

A few little things - on the welcome page you mean "live" and not "life" and I would not say "best equipment available" as someone will always find something better - best to say this slightly differently.

Pictures - they don't always open properly when clicked and give a different view and have to be clicked again. Also some of them still have numbers underneath, this should be a description of the photo really.

A good start though.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

I would buy a domain name and forward it to your .Mac site.

Also, get some examples of your work up there - anyone searching for a recording engineer will want to hear your stuff.

Having said this, I have not had a single work referral from my website. It is all word of mouth or recommendation.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David View Post
I would buy a domain name and forward it yo your .Mac site.
Agreed. In fact, I wouldn't use a .mac site for a professional service's website of this kind at all... Find someone to design an individual site for you...

On the .mac site, there is no navigation on e.g. the "Photos" site, you can only get back to the home page with the "back" button.
The pictures page doesn't work well in Opera

Quote:
Having said this, I have not had a single work referral from my website. It is all word of mouth or recommendation.
I think I've had one from a university choir - the job lasted a few years with one or two annual recordings.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I would not say "best equipment available" as someone will always find something better ....
Like a bit of Sennheiser gear, eh John.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Awww, come on...
That was unnecessary and uncalled for, IMHO... No need to bring that up all the time.
I'd agree with John, superlatives don't tend to improve my impression of such a website, either.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

You say the web is not profesionally made, and most of you agree you make no business with your own web...

Gaston, I think is good enough, you show your work, when someone contacts you, you can send them to your web and they can figure much better if they do or don't want to work with you.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Hilarious. . . strong move!

Mr. Willett is king of Zennheiser!
Long may he reign and rule from Zennheiser Zentrum!
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Unhappy

Crazy - I give someone constructive comments on his website and everyone takes the piss.

Nobody takes into account that I am on the Executive Committee of the Institute of Broadcast Sound, am Chairman of the British Sound Recording Association, President of the International Federation of Soundhunters, run both the British and International recording contests, have spoken at AES conferences, write reviews for magazines and have my own location recording unit and have been recording classical music for about 30 odd years - just because I need Sennheiser to give me a living wage everyone takes the piss.....
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Crazy - I give someone constructive comments on his website and everyone takes the piss.

Nobody takes into account that I am on the Executive Committee of the Institute of Broadcast Sound, am Chairman of the British Sound Recording Association, President of the International Federation of Soundhunters, run both the British and International recording contests, have spoken at AES conferences, write reviews for magazines and have my own location recording unit and have been recording classical music for about 30 odd years - just because I need Sennheiser to give me a living wage everyone takes the piss.....
John, your volunteer activities are highly laudable and I hope that the members of these organizations benefit from your involvement.

This contrasts in vivid fashion your joining here and constantly flogging the (good) products of Sennheiser. You are marked down by other readers for these religious
Sennheiser incantations. It is as simple as that.

The only thing I flog here is dav electronics and sometimes Nagra.

I don't work for anyone except me and my company. I employ others and am not an employee. Recording and consultancy provides 100% of my income. It been berry berry good to me.

Why not just use your experience in your 30 years of recording without acting here on GS as the promo dept. of your DE company??
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
This contrasts in vivid fashion your joining here and constantly flogging the (good) products of Sennheiser. You are marked down by other readers for these religious
Actually I *don't* do this if you read my posts properly.

Of course I mention Sennheiser products if they are appropriate to the question and I tend to play it down and suggest that it should be included on the list if appropriate rather than waxing lyrical. And anything I say comes from my own recording experience.

But I have also recommended products by many other manufacturers, including other mic. manufacturers, if that was the best answer to the question.

The crazy thing was that in this thread I mentioned no products by any manufacturer at all, neither by name nor implication and answered the question with helpful advice.

It appears that because some people know I work for Sennheiser they read into my posts things that, very often, are not there at all.

And I have never recommended anything inappropriate, whatever I have suggested has been right for the job.

The only time my Sennheiser hat goes on is when someone asks a specific question about a specific Sennheiser product; which I will answer - otherwise I post on my own account and not from Sennheiser. If I posted with a Sennheiser hat on, I would have to delete most of my posts from the forum!
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Why not just use your experience in your 30 years of recording without acting here on GS as the promo dept. of your DE company??
This is exactly what I do do.

But surely you can't expect me not to mention a product if it is the best answer to the question?
Old 19th September 2008
AHHH. Start your own thread boys.

To the OP:

Since most Remote Recording Engineers are in agreement that websites aren't critical for gettings gigs, I think your .mac site is acceptable for now. Just a decent place to send people to get more info and sound samples if they are interested.

- Is there a way you can embedd all the samples on the SAMPLE page, instead of requiring the user to go to individual pages for each sample? I would prefer that.

- The letters underneathe "Guitar Duo" on it's individual page overlap each other. Try viewing the webpage in different browsers to make sure it looks good for everyone.

- The counter on the bottom right of the home page is split in two for me. It looks funky.

- Get nicer pictures. On a website, pretty pictures sometimes speak more than your samples!

- And yes, it "live" not "life". Good luck!
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This contrasts in vivid fashion your joining here and constantly flogging the (good) products of Sennheiser. You are marked down by other readers for these religious Sennheiser incantations. It is as simple as that.
What in John's initial statement in this thread could possibly be interpreted as even the slightest tendency towards a (Sennheiser) sales pitch?

John, please don't count me with "everyone" here, I was objecting to David's comment, not yours.

Daniel
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
John, please don't count me with "everyone" here, I was objecting to David's comment, not yours.
I wasn't Daniel, and thanks for the sensible comment, I did appreciate it.

And, back to the original question, I said my initial comments at the start.

But I *do* agree with the person who said get your own domain name - I did this but have yet to get my site up. The OP has at least got the site going - all power to your elbow.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

I personally find .Mac pages to be buggy and generally messy looking.

If you really want a decent website, a cheap hosting service and basic html will get you far. .Mac pages always load slowly, are cluttered, and just look unprofessional in my opinion.

Oh, and don't tell me it's because I'm on a PC or because I am using IE. Since the userbase is still overwhelmingly on a PC using IE, you have to pander to them. I know I wouldn't hire someone who's site didn't work and he told me it worked on this or that OS/browser.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

I think that your web site is just fine. I liked the pictures and I liked the personal glimpse into your life with the views in your neighborhood. A good gear list and a good attitude.
Crookwood Paintpot users Unite!

Any web presence is good and this is at least a start.
Old 19th September 2008
Gear maniac

Looks nice!

I like the pictures, gives a good view into your work for a potential client.

The title "Podcast" did not immediately make me realize that there were going to be samples there. When I hear that word I think of an online radio-style talk show. Why don't you call that page "Sound Samples"?

The "best equipment that is available" comment is fine with me, because your equipment listed is very nice. Perhaps people on this forum could say this or that could be different or better, but we're just trying to communicate to the client that this is some serious gear, and it is. (you're not just some guy with a minidisc coming to record a concert!)

One other suggestion: I listened to the beginning of the "Johannes Passion" and think you might want to trim the beginning of the file to eliminate the shuffling around noise which happens before the music.

Awesome apartment!
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bove View Post
The "best equipment that is available" comment is fine with me, because your equipment listed is very nice. Perhaps people on this forum could say this or that could be different or better, but we're just trying to communicate to the client that this is some serious gear, and it is. (you're not just some guy with a minidisc coming to record a concert!)
Actually I think this phrase give the wrong impression and sounds pretentious.

I would use words like - sophisticated, top of the range, top quality, etc...., rather than "best equipment that is available" as they have a quality feel without being pretentious.

Anddon't forget to change the word "life" to "live.
Old 21st September 2008
Gear nut

Old 21st September 2008
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Awww, come on...
That was unnecessary and uncalled for, IMHO... No need to bring that up all the time.
I'd agree with John, superlatives don't tend to improve my impression of such a website, either.

I totally agree that this was uncalled for, but I understand why some folks may think this way.

Quote:

John,

As you already know, we have communicated about this before.

I know very well that you comment and suggest many different products and ideas based on your professional experiences over the years, but...
Even with that said, the fact that you're talking up Sennheiser without an acknowledgement of an affiliation is why people get jammed up about it.

I have received many PMs about this and this really needs to be addressed.
Perhaps not in this thread, but in our own PMs or emails.

I stated that this (current) predicament will eventually come to a boil with the good folks on this board.
I trust you didn't understand where I was coming from.

IMHO, this is in no way a bad thing -- Listing your Sennheiser connection in your signature would be a very positive move on many levels.

Quote:
John, your volunteer activities are highly laudable and I hope that the members of these organizations benefit from your involvement.

The only thing I flog here is dav electronics and sometimes Nagra.

I don't work for anyone except me and my company. I employ others and am not an employee. Recording and consultancy provides 100% of my income. It been berry berry good to me.

John,

This is the kind of comments I've been getting from a number of members.
I may not agree with everything that has been said in public or in private, but I believe this negative perception can be revised by adding the affiliation to your sig.

You have made many important and helpful contributions to this forum and I truly appreciate that, but let us take this to a better place and just let it be officially known that you work for Sennheiser Electronics Corporation.

IMO, this is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Furthermore,

I want to apologize to our brother, Gaston69 for taking up all this bandwidth.

Please let us not continue this here.
PM us or start a new thread.

Now, back to the show...
Old 21st September 2008
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't know, I like your website.
It's a great start.
It's to the point and you got yourself out there for the people to see and hear your work.

Yes, there are some typos and such, but these are the details you need to be worked on...

So, get right on that, because folks do look at that sort of thing.

Having a domain name is a great advantage, but not the end of the world.
Get one when you really think you need one.
Get the website on point, make some bread then consider all the other suggestions.

I know of a major remote recording service company that was forwarding to a mac pages or something to that effect website for the longest time before they finally got their own domain name and hosting service. This multiple TEC and Grammy award winning company's slow moving freebie website didn't stop them from getting business.

A major player in the NYC recording studio scene known for excellent and strives for perfection is still using a "members.aol.com/" account for their website and they're still kicking out excellent work.

I was using AOL for a gazillion years before I grabbed my own domain name and such.
In any event, (IMO) my website still looks completely unprofessional.
I haven't done any major updates in over two years and we need a cleaner more organic look, but we still get work and the job done, so...

Gaston, you have an awesome first draft my man!
Keep up the good work.
Get those updates and needed changes done as soon as you can.
I look forward to your progress.
Old 21st September 2008
Banned

Quality pictures are good. Gives the potential clients a feel for what they're buying. Lets them know that they're in the right place when they're going someplace they've never been before.

Best gear available, might be a little over the top. A turnoff as they may get the impression that they can't afford you. And might be better off with an MBox2 and SM57. And if they actually know what is the best available, they might laugh at you. Given that best is sometimes personal tastes / experiences. Which may not parallel your perceptions and gear.

Portable recording services, and yet the initial picture is of a grand piano, about as unportable as you can get. Although slightly more portable than a mobile home or van with no tires.

Icon sized pictures next to gear on your gearlist. And no links to larger images of said icon sized pics. Yet on the photos page you have the same pics at larger sizes. Given that we're migrating to an HD world, you might want larger sized images. Someone might be viewing your site on a 17" HD monitor (1920x1080 pixels).

A personalized domain name is good. Makes you look bigger / more professional, just like an 800 number. Email Me at the bottom is at least a contact. But many sites have a dedicated contact page with those details. It's a little easy to miss Email Me.

For me, a website is a shortcut for a larger sized business card. Hand the client the business card with the URL and say contact me. They go to the site on the card and get any additional information they desire. Make them work too hard, with a long URL, and they're likely not to undertake the effort. Or otherwise fat finger a few bad URLs and assume your site doesn't exist.
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

One page you forgot-- the one with glowing comments from satisfied clients. You can head it with "don't take our word for the quality we provide-- take theirs" -- or something like that.

In this business the most you can hope is that the website makes a positive first impression. And if you look expensive but are worth it, is that a bad thing? You are not likely to "climb the client ladder" unless you look like you are ready.

Rich
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Dear Fellows,

I appreciate your comments a lot and take the advice given in consideration BUT I am always so surprised how people react to each other (my wife and I had good fun)

Anyway there are a few points that i would like to explain.

First of all I am not a commercial or professional (sound) engineer.

Neither I am a web-designer however iWeb give me the opportunity to create in a very short time a small presentation of what I do (after office hours).

With saying Best Equipment Available, well you are right that it might not be the best equipment for each recording task and will change that. By the way I find extremely difficult to create a CV or talk/represent myself/equipment.

Yeah live or life, sorry I mix that up from time to time

I am very much interested in changing that very difficult domain name that Apple has given me, until today I cannot even remember it i.e. I would like to get my own domain name but don't know how. I am paying Apple now for their services and if I get a new domain name do I have to pay again every year???? PLEASE ADVICE

Layout needs to improve especially the "podcast" I also did not like that but remember I spend no more then 3 to 4 hours creating this site and I am new to iWeb etc etc

Some people here on gearslutz are forgetting what it is about on gearslutz.

For me Gearslutz is a forum where we can share knowledge, c'est tout.

Also I would like to hear people's work especially from those who are discriminating other gearslutz fellows.

Thanks to all of you.

Gaston
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

I apologise to Gaston for disrupting his thead and to Steve for my sarcasm. But Steve was right, John's all too frequent "advice" was becoming a little irritating, sorry John.

I know some gear makes us enthusiasts, sometimes irrationally, but to answer nearly every thread with recommendations for brands you have affiliations with, is not helpful, and its predictability makes this board less interesting.
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear Fellows,
I am very much interested in changing that very difficult domain name that Apple has given me, until today I cannot even remember it i.e. I would like to get my own domain name but don't know how. I am paying Apple now for their services and if I get a new domain name do I have to pay again every year???? PLEASE ADVICE
Gaston
If you want to stick with Apple, you can just buy a domain name - it costs about $10 per year and often less. Normally you set up the account to renew every year, so you don't lose the domain name. You can then tell the company you register the name with to forward it to your .Mac site and use the personal domain option in iWeb, so when you type the domain into your browser it takes you to your site and displays your domain in the address bar.

The thing about using Apple to host your site is their servers are very slow, so .Mac sites take ages to load. You can make websites very easily with other software (RapidWeaver or Freeway, for example) and host them with real web hosting companies. This gives you more choice over design and content. I use BlueHost for my site - they offer unlimited domains, bandwidth and storage for about $7/month.
Old 21st September 2008
Super Moderator

Gaston,

GoDaddy.com has incredible deals on domain names with or without hosting.
I'm paying next to nothing and I got everything through them.

Volume, volume, volume -- that's how they do it for "no money".
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

I also have GoDaddy. It's very good, and cheap. I just renewed my site for a year for only $50, which includes 10 gigs of storage and 300 gigs of download.
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Exclamation

Quote:
I apologise to Gaston for disrupting his thead and to Steve for my sarcasm. But Steve was right, John's all too frequent "advice" was becoming a little irritating, sorry John.

I know some gear makes us enthusiasts, sometimes irrationally, but to answer nearly every thread with recommendations for brands you have affiliations with, is not helpful, and its predictability makes this board less interesting.
This is actually not true - as I have posted many many times with brands that I have no affiliation with at all and any that I do have affiliation with I tone down what I say and normally suggest it if it's appropriate and normally only when I have personal experience.

For instance there is a post asking about mics for a snare drum and I have not posted there at all because I don't have the personal experience to post a proper reply.

People actually seem to misunderstand what I post sometimes and I have received several PMs in support of what I say, often with thanks for the advice given.

I am not here to pimp product just to help people who ask the questions.

And all my affiliations are in my public profile.

I cannot under any circumstances put "Sennheiser" in a signature as it would then appear I am talking for them and I am not, I am talking for myself. Especially if I suggest a non-Sennheiser mic., which I have done several times if it was appropriate.

Please stop misreading what I post and read what I really post - and it is totally crazy in this thread where I offered advice and did not mention any product at all.

I post in several forums and only get this stuff here. If you actually read what I post you will see that everything is appropriate to the question asked.

Enough!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search