Two stereo sets and a vocal mic - advice
drongo
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
Gear nut

Two stereo sets and a vocal mic - advice

Hi there,

sorry to bother everyone with another mics based question!

I'll be buying some mics in around a month or so and need to narrow down options - I cant buy and have a clear conscience without consulting 'the counsel' here I'm in the UK btw.

My needs are :
a) two stereo sets (one ribbons and one other). these will be used for tracking but also for capturing stereo performances - from either Indian classical music OR other acoustic sources/bands.
b) one lead vocal/acoustic mic.

I'll need to do things like kit etc with the mics but the focus will be on small acoustic groups - so I need rich harmonics, depth etc. I will be recording on location aswell as back at the ranch.

My thoughts, after much reading, are :
1. Stereo Pair 1 : Coles 4040 (the new one with built in suspension mount). I have used one before and really like it.
2. Stereo Pair 2 : Geffel 930's. These could be good candidates for vocal mics, string instruments. They are small luckilyy
3. vocal mic - no idea. Budget of £1000. Have used 4050's and other mics of that level in the past. If you need to hear an example of my singing then you can hear some here.

LInk http://www.drongomusic.com/flyingmou...ggraceclip.mp3

I wont be buying mics for quite while after this so I hope to get a bunch that are flexible across the board. I am desperate to step up a gear in the mics department. Coles should be cheaper in the UK I reckon - what about the Geffels?

I'm looking to buy in the next month so it would be good to find a dealer that is cool about me trying a bunch of mics. Does such a thing exist in Edinburgh, Scotland or UK? StuartMac any ideas?

thanks for all the help so far folks.
Anthony
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
Gear interested

Mic's?

Go with the Geffel 930's you will get more work out of them thumbsup
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
urumita

Geffel or schoeps, I have 3 CCM5lg (selectable cardioide and omni) and 3 CCM21lg (wide cardioide), the 4040s are great I don't know what they did but I like it I can use an LPF if I want it to sound like other ribbons. Try a Brauner Phantom V, I have 3 and couldn't recommend another mic more, specially at that price.
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
Gear maniac

I would check the Schoeps Colette system (great sounding and really flexible) and the Gefells.

DPA/ B&K are also great but IMO overpriced .
Vari Mu
drongo
25th April 2005
Old 25th April 2005
Gear nut

thanks folks...

will check out the Schoeps Colette's for sure..I think the Geffel 930's are a definite for now but may check out more ribbon pairs..

any more thoughts about other stero pairs to consider?
25th April 2005
Old 25th April 2005
Lives for gear

I haven't tried the Coles yet, but I have a Royer R-121 and a new AEA R-92. Given the choice I personally would go for a pair of R92s, or possibly the stereo R88 if it's primarily for stereo sources. The Coles are cheaper in the UK, however.

For a second pair the 930s seem like a good thing to try out (I haven't tried them). Off the top of my head I think you should also look at the Groove Tubes GT44 valve mics that are available pretty cheap. They are very, very versatile, especially if you pick up the omni caps. Great little mics.

Or you could go for a pair of SDCs like Gefell M300s or Josephson C42s here.

For a main vocal mic, you HAVE to try the Gefell M92.1S. It's a fantastic valve mic (the single pattern version of the UM92.1S) but a little over your budget ex-vat (£1190 at KMR). I have one on demo just now, and I would be buying it if it wasn't for the fact I've taken the UM900 instead! I'd do everything you can to stretch your budget a bit to try and fit something like this in - at the price it's an absolute bargain.

There's also the Soundelux U195 that you can find around £695 ex-VAT. Actually, they'd be great for your second pair as well.

As for dealers, it's look to London time, I'm afraid. KMR, ASAP Europe and Funky Junk are all great.
25th April 2005
Old 25th April 2005
Gear maniac

I've used the FET version of the 44s'...the GT33s and thought they were bright, but not at all bad a little further back from the source. They sound better to me than a lot of mics with Chinese capsules.

If the Coles 4038s are too dark for you try the 4040s. As StuartMac says Coles are cheaper in the UK than Royers etc. I haven't yet tried the AEAs but prefer the Coles to the Royers.

I agree about the Gefell LDCs.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
25th April 2005
Old 25th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vari-Mu
I've used the FET version of the 44s'...the GT33s and thought they were bright, but not at all bad a little further back from the source. They sound better to me than a lot of mics with Chinese capsules.

Vari-Mu
I had a pair of 33s and a pair of 44s at one time. I sold the 33s very soon afterwards - decent enough mics (and an absolute steal nowadays) but the 44s were so much classier sounding.
drongo
28th April 2005
Old 28th April 2005
Gear nut

Excellent - thanks for the suggestions. I have duly downloaded all the bumf and reviews I can find and will go through them with a mate.

I got a demo Cd through the other day from Royers (great service to customers) and managed to hear various versions of their mics going through a host of instruments. The CD is a gearslutz thing I think and a great way to check things out - if you are wondering why ribbons and digital recording go well together you really should check this CD out. On the CD there were even some comparisons with the Coles although not as many as I would have liked. It seems like a catch 22 - I feel the Coles are classier but I miss the brightness a little. Vocals on the Coles seem to come easy but acosutic guitar was not so simple. The Royers do seem to have a brightness that I like (and the frontside-backside trick - which I'm still working an opinion out about) but I didn't feel they had the width of stage presence and depth that the Coles had....mmmm.

Anyone used the new phantom powered Geffels? Also I notice that the Royer recommendations are that the R122 (phantom powered) is better for acoustic guitar and that the 121 (non phantom) is not recommended for acoustic guitar. Acosutic guitar is a big part of which ribbon mic to choose.

anyway - thanks for the help. Happy gearslutting.

Ant
drongo
28th April 2005
Old 28th April 2005
Gear nut

Excellent - thanks for the suggestions. I have duly downloaded all the bumf and reviews I can find and will go through them with a mate.

I got a demo Cd through the other day from Royers (great service to customers) and managed to hear various versions of their mics going through a host of instruments. The CD is a gearslutz thing I think and a great way to check things out - if you are wondering why ribbons and digital recording go well together you really should check this CD out. On the CD there were even some comparisons with the Coles although not as many as I would have liked. It seems like a catch 22 - I feel the Coles are classier but I miss the brightness a little. Vocals on the Coles seem to come easy but acosutic guitar was not so simple. The Royers do seem to have a brightness that I like (and the frontside-backside trick - which I'm still working an opinion out about) but I didn't feel they had the width of stage presence and depth that the Coles had....mmmm.

Anyone used the new phantom powered Geffels? Also I notice that the Royer recommendations are that the R122 (phantom powered) is better for acoustic guitar and that the 121 (non phantom) is not recommended for acoustic guitar. Acosutic guitar is a big part of which ribbon mic to choose.

anyway - thanks for the help. Happy gearslutting.

Ant
drongo
28th April 2005
Old 28th April 2005
Gear nut

oops - that should read : phatom powered royers....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search