Bang for the Buck EQ
New Reply
Subscribe
XHipHop
4th March 2003
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Bang for the Buck EQ

What's the bottom feeder Eq flavor of the month right now? I know the Speck are highly regarded but what else is out there? Any news/rumors on the FMR Eq or is that dead in the water? Are the TL Audio Eq units that i've seen for about $700 used any good?

Ok, discuss Give me a reason to spend more money!
4th March 2003
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Bang for the Buck EQ

Quote:
Originally posted by XHipHop
Are the TL Audio Eq units that i've seen for about $700 used any good?

Ok, discuss Give me a reason to spend more money!
Yes. and the eq in the vocal channel is the shit!
5th March 2003
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I've got an HHb radius EQ that's kinda cool. It's a two-channel toob model. I don't use it much, my new console EQ is great. I also have an Ashley seven band parametric that can be very useful.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
5th March 2003
Old 5th March 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Jay Kahrs Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Kahrs
You can't go too wrong with an Orban. They're older and will probably need caps but they are pretty solid. The 622B is the 4-band, stereo parametric deal. I use it mainly on things where I need control over the low end, it's not clean enough for the mix buss IMHO.
mooseaudio.bandcamp.com
Quote:
All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...
5th March 2003
Old 5th March 2003
Gear addict

http://www.arx.com.au/MultiQ.htm

this unit looks really interesting. don't know if it sounds any good but i have used their compressors and they are good, so if thats anything to go by it should be ok.

anyway i just think its a great concept. its a six band parametric eq. but each band has an input and output. so it can be used as six one band eq's, one six band eq, or any combination in between.

i know i posted about one of their preamps the other day, but i don't work for them or anything! they just make some interesting products that i have been checking out in recent times. not very sexy looking though.
18th March 2003
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
What about the one from Speck?
18th March 2003
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dave-G Send a message via Skype™ to dave-G
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
You can't go too wrong with an Orban. They're older and will probably need caps but they are pretty solid. The 622B is the 4-band, stereo parametric deal. I use it mainly on things where I need control over the low end, it's not clean enough for the mix buss IMHO.
What Jay said.. The Orbans are sleepers.. I had much fun with the 672A, which is an 8-band para-graphic. I really regret selling mine.

-dave
18th March 2003
Old 18th March 2003
Gear addict

I've got an Orban 674A that I bought used for pretty cheap, and it's not bad. I think it falls in the category of good-but-not-"vintage" used analog gear, where there are some good deals these days.

The Speck is also nice, a little more expensive, but still a good deal.
18th March 2003
Old 18th March 2003
Gear addict

Location: The Netherlands (yes that's the country surrounding Amsterdam!)

Re: Re: Bang for the Buck EQ

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Yes. and the eq in the vocal channel is the shit!
wich vocal-channel?! The white (5051) or the blue one (VP-1)?!?
18th March 2003
Old 18th March 2003
Gear maniac

EQ

How about the DBX Project 1 EQ (Bob Orban designed - So I am told). Cost effective. Not as great of a tool as the Speck but it does work.

jason

Web: www.mudstonemusic.com
E-mail: mudstonemusic@yahoo.com
18th March 2003
Old 18th March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

There may still be an Orban 622A for sale at e-bay.
Jim Williams at www.audioupgrades.com modd's these BTW.
If I mixed at home for anything serious it would have been snagged.

Chris
19th March 2003
Old 19th March 2003
Gear maniac

Upgrades?

What type of upgrade does he do? How does it impact the sound of the EQ? What is the cost of the upgrade? Thanks.

jason
19th March 2003
Old 19th March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

It should make it sound much better, although I haven't personally had him do any modifications (yet).

The other info is still on his site I think.

Chris
19th March 2003
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

I like the Urei 545 Eq.. nice an d usical and not too expensive if you can find them... they have not suffered the major price rise like the 1176...

Gee imagine if u coulda bought shares in 1176's before UA reissued them.. if they had never done that the original black and silver faces would be going up like fairchilds, 1081/73 etc... but then we woulda been fuct cos UA came and crashed tha party.. lol

PEACE
Wiggy
19th March 2003
Old 19th March 2003
There is only one

i picked up a moog para 3band that im fond of for certain things... only $270.
19th March 2003
Old 19th March 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Re: EQ

Quote:
Originally posted by jspartz
How about the DBX Project 1 EQ (Bob Orban designed - So I am told). Cost effective. Not as great of a tool as the Speck but it does work.
Those are also sleepers and yes, it is an Orban design. In the funky but cool at times catagory is the ART "toob" EQ. The midrange bands are kinda fun on guitars for broad shaping and overdriving.
20th March 2003
Old 20th March 2003
Gear maniac

I am just a home recording guy and I haven't used eq on the recording chain, just in mixdown.

What in the world am I missing?
21st March 2003
Old 21st March 2003
Gear maniac

EQ on mixdown

Eq only on mixdown is not a bad habit. That is usually how I use it as well. I feel mic/preamp choice and mic placement are my form of EQ while tracking. Well other than wild tracks (vocal distortion and telephone effects) which Eq can be part of the effect.

jason
21st March 2003
Old 21st March 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Bob
I am just a home recording guy and I haven't used eq on the recording chain, just in mixdown.

What in the world am I missing?
Honestly, not much. If your building a project one track at a time your better off waiting until you get everything together before you EQ a lot. In your case I'd only EQ if there was a really obvious thing that needed to be done, like chop away at something boomy or too muddy or brighten up an acoustic guitar with old strings. Only whack or enhance what you know needs to be done. Other then that, your taking shots in the dark.
21st March 2003
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: EQ

Quote:
Originally posted by jspartz
Yes, the dbx 242.

These are the ones Bob Orban will recommend to you, himself, as his best design. Very similar to the older Orbans, but with cleaner signal path and slightly greater flexibility. A steal for the money. Can be snagged off ebay anywhere between $100-200.
22nd March 2003
Old 22nd March 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
I like the Urei 545 Eq.. nice an d usical and not too expensive if you can find them... they have not suffered the major price rise like the 1176...
The original 545 has a quad version of the 741 op amp (4741 I think) which is not a particulary good device as it's real slow. The problem is if you try and add 10dB boost at 10kHz , the 741 cannot slew fast enough and distorts. So if you get one, get the opamps changed to something a bit more modern - makes a big difference to the top end !!

Cheers
Tim

Buzz Audio
22nd March 2003
Old 22nd March 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Wouldn't it start to oscillate because it's faster? I've run into that before on Orban gear.
26th March 2003
Old 26th March 2003
Gear addict

This may sound strange but Pendulum audio's acoustic guitar stereo preamp/eq's are really good eq's. I use them to track with coming out of my Neve modules to tape. I have 2 of them. An HZ-10se 4 band mono eq and an sps 1 stereo 3 band eq's. Both are really nice and you can probably get them for around $500 or $600 and then you have the worlds best acoustic guitar pre to boot. Good luck.
26th March 2003
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

Looks like Malcolm Toft is making another comeback. He was at AES with three of his latest gadgets, one being a dual mic pre/ eq. He was one of the few who actually had a few sounds available to play through it! I cannot see how people expect us to pay thousands for their gear without trying.tutt . Anyway, my impressions were "I'm going to order one as soon as it's on the market". Very nice eq...I cannot comment on the pre but it's cheap enough not to care.

http://www.toftaudiodesigns.com/afc2.html

DW
27th March 2003
Old 27th March 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

I'll give almost anything Malcom Toft has his name a listen. He has had QC problems in the past though, but I've rarely heard complaints about the sound quality of his designs.
27th March 2003
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

That's right Jay. He has however been in a number of different partnerships, one with Ted Fletcher (Oram is another). Certainly the MTA A Range module was a piece of crap. Unfortunately I found out too late
I would still give his gear a listen though. He has one thing going for him, he's an audio engineer at heart. It really depends on who he teams up with. I see he's very buddy buddy with a guy called Alan Hyatt. I know that name is going to ring a few alarm bells.

DW
27th March 2003
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

Years ago I saw a demo of the coolest EQ by Nightpro. In the demo they twisted the pots to virtually any extreme position and the results were always sweet and musical.

But since then I've seen virtually no mention of it. Anybody have one or used one?
28th March 2003
Old 28th March 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

I think your talking about the NQ3 or whatever it was called. The "airband" EQ. Never used one, I think Jule's has one.

Toft was one of THE guys at Trident in the 70's and 80's. Oram was also there but was mopping floors (or whatever) rather then designing gear.
28th March 2003
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Years ago I saw a demo of the coolest EQ by Nightpro. In the demo they twisted the pots to virtually any extreme position and the results were always sweet and musical.

But since then I've seen virtually no mention of it. Anybody have one or used one?
Was it a 1 space unit (EQ3-D) or the 2 space joint (EQ3)? At any rate, they ain't cheap by a long shot. They have almost no phase shift.
28th March 2003
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure it was one space - it was a few years back. I remember it was a newer less expensive version of their high end eq, but some reviews said it sounded even better than the original.

It sounded killer. I was about to buy one, but right around the same time I got into Pro Tools and my available money went into plug-ins instead.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search