(1) EMU 1820M (400-550) depends who u know...(8+ I/Os and 2 quality pres)
..using free incl. CUBASE or SONAR 4, samplitude, etc ($300+?) EMU 1820M has same converters as Digi 192HD, SONAR 3/4 is crazy stable...
(1) Behringer ADA-800 w/ optic cabling ($250+) adds 8 more inputs via ADAT optical ( use for TB, toms, under snare, ride, etc)
(1) FMR RNP + RNC in funk logic rack (700+) <((mercenary.com))> 2 ch pre/limit of pure quality, use on critical stuff (OH, Vox, Overdubs) plus, RNC is great for snare drum and vox
(1) PC (AMD chip.ABIT MOBO, 2 WD drives, 512 RAM)=(<$600) build it yourself or ask that geeky friend...
(1) flatscreen (once again, who do u know?) roughly $400 I opt for flat screens because they are quiet and save valuable DAW space!
(1) Neutrik or dbx patch bay plus patches ($200) essential
(1) SKB rack (+/-$100) gotta have...
(1) m-aUDIO DMP3 2ch pres ($200) perfect for distorted guitars and agressive drums, 2nd go-to pres...use bluemax comp (via patching) for padding
(1) PreSonus BMRA (Bluetube 2ch pres & BlueMAX comp ($300) great for the behringer inputs that need extra padding...use on less critical sources-- toms, bkrd vox, ride, room mics..compressor actually rocks on kick, bass and snare!
and spend the rest on plug-ins/software...hints---
SONALKSIS, WAVEARTS, LEXICON, dB-audioware
(i know im forgetting something...or not? oh yeah, apple is not involved...)
also-- remember you will need extended warranties, a desk and monitoring...at least 1.5k+
sorry for the 888th edit... if you have extra cash...drop it on mic cords, and rent/buy a high-quality clock!