Favorite drum mic clip?
New Reply
Subscribe
edwinhurwitz
31st March 2008
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Question Favorite drum mic clip?

I have a set of the Audix D series drum mics which I like OK (except for the D6, but that's neither here nor there) but I hate the clips. They break easily and don't fasten securely to the drums that are mounted to a outer piece of curved metal (don't know the technical term, but there are common on DW toms).

What do you all like?

Edwin
31st March 2008
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

I like the LP Mic Claw. It may appear big and bulky... and it is a bit "bigger" than some of the other clips out there... but the Claw is very sturdy and very versatile.

Make sure to get something that positively "clamps" to the drum. I've talked to a lot of guys that have smaller cheaper "clip on" type mic clips, or the types with the flexible arm (which eventually move while you're playing)... never heard any good things about these.

For recording, I like having all mics on their own stands.

For live gigs though, I carry a few Claws with me and some mics. I got tired of having sound guys at clubs use crappy mics and crappy mic clips which fall off during the performance. So far the Claws have been 100% reliable. And I've been using Shure 56A mics which are a bit heavy... no problem for the Claw.

Latin Percussion: LP Mic Claw®
31st March 2008
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Corran
A drummer friend of mine told me to buy some of the clamps that drummers have to attach woodblock or triangle to drums. Somewhere they supposedely have these with threads that will work with mic clips.

I've yet to get some but sounds like a plan...
31st March 2008
Old 31st March 2008
Banned

I use (and love) the Shure A56D. I like to use e604's for toms, but they're kind of a pain to mount on toms with the rim mounting system. With the A56D I can place the mount to the side and the bracket can be positioned so that the mic can go anywhere you want it. I'll try to remember to take a picture later today.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Have you tried the Audix Dvice or the plastic flexclip? I like the Flexclip, as crappy as it is, for the D6 specifically. (Sorry you don't like the mic, I think it's great. Different thread I know.) A couple of other kinds of clips are standard, like the Whirlwind CL series, the LP clamp, K&M clamps. One of my favorite clamps are the plastic clamps for the Sennheisser 504s, which give me a sound like the original 421 with very close placement. Has anyone here used the Gibralter Jaw, whick looks much like an LP clamp?

This is a good thread, as a pile of mic clamps are part of my mic bag that I can't live without.

Cheers!

JvB
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Gear addict

shure SM98........ no question
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Banned

I believe that the SM (and Beta) 98 uses the A56D clamp. I've attached a quick photo and will try to replace it tomorrow when there's a little more light. On this one I have it so that it clamps to a mic stand (or cymbal stand), but turn around part of the clamp and it attaches nicely to a drum rim or maybe a guitar cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite drum mic clip?-march31a.jpg  
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Graham Tobias
Don't get this mount.. The arm is mounted to the clamp by 2 little screws in little keyholes. With enough vibration from a snare drum, the screws will loosen causing them to slide in the keyholes and drop the arm and mic mid performance. Sounded wonderful in the mains when the snare mic hit the ground. If you want to record hi hat pedal in perfect detail get this mount because that's the only place the mic's guaranteed to stay.
It's an On-Stage mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite drum mic clip?-dm-50-b159156269791965b306a47277c01b20.jpg  

President
MediaStructura, Inc.
Boston, MA
http://www.grahamtobias.com
graham@mediastructura.com
edwinhurwitz
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
I believe that the SM (and Beta) 98 uses the A56D clamp. I've attached a quick photo and will try to replace it tomorrow when there's a little more light. On this one I have it so that it clamps to a mic stand (or cymbal stand), but turn around part of the clamp and it attaches nicely to a drum rim or maybe a guitar cabinet.
Is that an RE20 it's supporting? If so, that speaks volumes for its quality.

Thanks for all the input!
Edwin
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Gear maniac

I have to agree that I prefer the A56D clamp and the Claw. Both are good depending on how much space you have. I have tried the On Stage clamp and hate it as well. I have never tried any of the others mentioned. I was doing a show where Beta 98's were used and after seeing that was a pretty decent clip I decided to buy some of the A56D's.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, the Shure A56D mount seems cool. Is this a newer product? When I had done a drum mic clamp study about two years ago, I don't remember seeing this option... and I got the LP Claw which seemed best to me at the time.

Anyone ever try the A56D mount with a Shure Beta 56 mic?

I'm happy with my LP Claws right now, they do the job quite nicely, but are a bit larger than I'd like... it's a chore to stuff them into my small drum accessory case. The A56Ds look nice and compact... this feature alone is enough to make me want to go out and try / buy some.

The LP Claws easily fold down and can become compact, but I like keeping my mic clamps "set-up", in shape, for super fast set up. Depending on the gig, sometimes you need to get your kit set up lightning quick... the last thing I want to be doing is fussing with mic clamps trying to get the mics in the perfect position... so I keep my Claws "in shape", with mics attached at all times, so I can just pop them onto the drums and they're automatically in perfect adjustment, ready to roll. Seems that I could still do this with the A56D clamps and they'd be more compact overall... and fit better in my small accessory case.

Again, if anyone can report on using Beta 56 mics on the A56D clamps, or better yet have photos of such, please post... thanks!
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Banned

Yeah, that's a PL20 and it's very solid on the A56D. I've never used a Beta56 with one but I'm sure it would work. Is there some concern you have with that mic in particular? I'll take some more pictures tonight so you can see some different mics and setups. I use 6 of them every day and keep the mics attached to the "arms" of the clamps. The clamp itself goes into a mic bag and the foam in my mic box is cut to accomodate the clamp arms. For a smaller profile I put the arm up through the hole in the clamp rather than down. At first I was skeptical (the whole gravity thing might go into effect and the arm and mic would fall out the bottom) but I have had no problems at all on toms and cymbal stands. The screw that holds the arm in place is very secure and won't back out even with this drummer beating the hell out of everything in front of him.
2nd April 2008
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear nut

Though I've had my Claws for a bunch of years now [at least 10] I just recently had a problem with the top of the mount sheering off. I've had 2 fail exactly the same way in the same place on two consecutive gigs. I did always like the claw for heavier mics.

I have a bunch of the On-Stage mounts listed above and I've found them acceptable IF you use thread-lock on those mounting screws. I agree that the mounting should be more robust. They are pretty good from the standpoint of positioning around a kit where the drummer likes his cymbals right down on the toms. They even work pretty well on toms with iso rim mounts.

I have been looking at the Avant Pro-Klamp. I haven't tried them myself but they look like it might have possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite drum mic clip?-claw-failure-sr.jpg  
3rd April 2008
Old 3rd April 2008
Banned

Here are some more pictures of the A56D in action. I have also seen the LP claws sheer off like that and am not really a fan of them because of their bulk.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite drum mic clip?-april02e.jpg   Favorite drum mic clip?-april02f.jpg  
11th July 2009
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Head

One of the simplest ways to make a drum mic holder is to take a typical multi-clamp, attach one side of the clamp to a mic gooseneck. Then the other clamp can clamp on to a nearby stand.

For a kick drum, you can attach the clamp to a spur and then bend the gooseneck around to the reso head.
11th July 2009
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I have a set of the Audix D series drum mics which I like OK (except for the D6, but that's neither here nor there) but I hate the clips. They break easily and don't fasten securely to the drums that are mounted to a outer piece of curved metal (don't know the technical term, but there are common on DW toms).

What do you all like?

Edwin

The Shure Clip rocks also the Avant clips work well.
15th July 2009
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Don't know if they're available separately, but Audio Technica sells an inexpensive "drum kit" package with rubber clip-on holders for the included mics. We use them at church weekly, on various kits, for over three years now, lots of different hands for setup, and have had no problems. They work with all but the widest rim (i.e, congas) and, so far, so good. The AT mics are similar in size to the Shure Beta drum mics, and the Audix. I don't necessarily love the mics... but the clips work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite drum mic clip?-mbdrumkit4large.jpg  
15th July 2009
Old 15th July 2009
Gear addict

I just got some of the Heil drum mics and the clips are amazing. Very adjustable, very well made, and will fit any mic. I'm not sure if they are selling them separately, but they should.
17th July 2009
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

shure A56D and LP claw for me. I like the shure for the way 1/2 the clamp can flip around either for a rim-mount or pole- mount. (narrow or wide mode)

the shure's great for getting into tight spots, and the LP is great if a little more reach is required. Th LP is great for bottom Snare when clamped to a roundbase stand used for snare top.

that said i often use 904s and find the rubber clips to be acceptable and can usually get the mic where i need it. initially i steered away from these mics because of the clips, but now find them great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago
Don't ever believe what people say
Quote:
Behringer is fine as long as it works. Tad Donely
19th July 2009
Old 19th July 2009
Gear nut

The Shure A56D is pretty dang awesome! Every once in a while I wish the clamp was just a little bit more adjustable, but I've always found a good enough position with them.

Best bet is to buy the Shure DMK drum kit - for approx. $350, you get a B52, 3 SM57s, and 3 of the A56D clamps.

I actually just bought another of the DMK kits, sold the B52 for $125 and kept the 3 57s and the A56D clamps for $225
15th February 2010
Old 15th February 2010
Gear interested

Just wondering if any of you have tried out those Shure clips with some MD421s? Judging by the photo of it supporting the weight of an RE-20 it'll be able to handle the weight, but does it allow you to clamp onto a rim at a suitable angle/height?

Cheers
15th February 2010
Old 15th February 2010
Banned

Yeah, I've used the A56D with a 421 on floor tom. It's a great mount, not much it won't clamp to.
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah, I've used the A56D with a 421 on floor tom. It's a great mount, not much it won't clamp to.
K&M 24030 clips work good for me
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear interested

Loose Screw Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Tobias View Post
Don't get this mount.. The arm is mounted to the clamp by 2 little screws in little keyholes. With enough vibration from a snare drum, the screws will loosen causing them to slide in the keyholes and drop the arm and mic mid performance. Sounded wonderful in the mains when the snare mic hit the ground. If you want to record hi hat pedal in perfect detail get this mount because that's the only place the mic's guaranteed to stay.
It's an On-Stage mount.
Something I learned back from the days of racing Motocross in the 70's when vibration from the engine did some pretty amazing things to metal.
Try some Loctite Blue or Red solution. Just apply it to the threads and tighten. It just might do the trick.
Regards
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Someone report that drummer to the MPA (microphone protection agency)

That clamp is awesome Thanks for the tip!!
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite drum mic clip?-march31a.jpg  

"Microphone technique is an art and the ear of the listener is the critic"
-Lou Burroughs
7th August 2011
Old 7th August 2011
Gear interested

Great thread guys!

I work in live sound and ever since I got introduced to the LP claws by a touring engineer I've always wanted to get me a set. I'm currently looking to get my own set of clamps and mounts so I can eliminate as many stands as possible as they seem to droop and get kicked out of position which provides inconsistent sound through out a show! I've used the a56ds alot with 98s and I really don't regard them so highly as they tend to come loose and droop and they can be a ball ache to setup!

So, does anyone in the uk know where I can get LP claws and some z-bars from as I can't find them anywhere!
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering, how well do LP Claws clamp onto cymbal stands for under micing? Aren't they designed primarily for drum rims?
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonsvox View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering, how well do LP Claws clamp onto cymbal stands for under micing? Aren't they designed primarily for drum rims?
I think you could possibly get it to clamp on, depending on the thickness of the stand. I personally wouldn't use it since it as it is hard to get it to be sturdy enough around a stand.
What mic do you want to use?

Speaking of drum mics, you guys should really try out the DPA 4099. Similar to the 98's but with more tone and body.
The 4099's are extremely versitile mics, and can be used on pretty much anything. (except singing maybe) They have really smart clips for Violin, cello, grand piano, trumpet, acoustic guitar, drums.
The drum clips are one of the smartest I've seen. They are soft rubber clip ons, wich means that they also serve as vibration dampers. The mics and clips have a very small footprint as well.

Just a tip.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Shure SM81. I've just seen plenty of gigs come and go and nearly every engineer I see uses them for undermicing cymbals and micing amps etc, so they must be durable enough.

Planning on getting a collection of clamps together anyway, they always come in handy so they're a decent investment. Will have to look into getting and audix cabgrabber since Z bar's dont go high enough on one of the guitarists cabs
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Graham Tobias
Some of my favorite drum mics are Sennheiser e604's, and they come with clamps I've never had an issue with.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search