PMoshay
28th February 2008
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Live From Daryl's House

This is our monthly live (recorded) webcast of the Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates) Show:

Live From Daryl's House <---Link

These shows are recorded on location in Daryl Hall's house, it's an empty room in the morning that turns into a show by 1pm...... i bring it all. <br>We record these shows every month and put out a new show on the 15th every month on the web. Every month will have a new guest..... i am mixing the next show with K.T. Tungstall right now that was recorded in Daryl's house in London.

Unfortunately the room gets too loud to mic the acoustic guitars (i tried), so we worked on the DI sound with the Taylor guitars with the Neve preamp system.
I record the stuff mostly flat using mic positions and working with the instruments to get the sounds instead of eq or compression, but i will use eq & compression when mixing. Recording in this space is constantly evolving.
i don't have a control room, just a spare room in the house that i set up with my stuff.
I mixed the stuff at my studio the following 2-3 days after recording it.
All gets recorded to Alesis HD24XR's at 24bit/48k/Analog In, then transfered to Protools 7 to be mixed.
I mix on a SSL AWS900+SE.

Kick - Shure Beta 52 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Snare - Beta 57 - Api 512b (shure inline pad -20db)
Tom - Senn E604 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Hat - AKG C451(no pad or hpf on mic)(shure inline pad -20db) - Api 512b
OH's - AKG C451's (no pad or hpf) True P8
Bass - Radial Tone Bone xlr out to True P8
Acoustic Guitars - ADL 600 Tube DI - True P8
All Vocals - Beta 58's (old models with no transformers) - Focusrite Octapre w/hpf
Congas - Senn E604 - True P8
Perc Toys - AKG C451 - True P8
Keys DI's - Countryman's - Focusrite Octapre
Room mic 1 - Crown Stereo SASS mic (flat) - Mackie Onyx 32.4 console
Room mic 2 / Over the Kit - Stereo AT 8025 (flat) - Amek 9098 (4ch version)

All The Best,
Peter Moshay
Welcome to Peter Moshay's website.
28th February 2008
Old 28th February 2008
Super Moderator

I felt this post was worthy of its own thread...

Peter, I trust you will not mind the new thread concept.

Great show by the way.

All the best to you and yours.
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
Gear maniac

Hi Peter,

The whole broadcast thing is a great idea and sounds superb! I wondered if you could answer some questions for us/me? About how large of a space is the room? The ceiling looks like a standard two story height, but the other dimensions are difficult to estimate from the show. Second, how are the musician's monitoring themselves? I confess that, due to time limitations, I haven't seen as much as I intend to in the coming days. I didn't see monitors on the floor or a PA anywhere (again, from my viewings so far). Perhaps in-ear monitors? I see in the first show that you had a mic on Darryl's guitar, was that prior to using the Neve Expression system? What are your impressions of the Taylor/Neve system? The sound is far better than I have heard from other onboard acoustic systems. Or is that your mixing talent ? Finally, care to share the PT plugins you are getting the most mileage out of for the mixes? Again, everything sounds very natural and yet so very much like the records on which the songs were originally presented.

Thanks!
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
This is our monthly live (recorded) webcast of the Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates) Show:

Live From Daryl's House <---Link

These shows are recorded on location in Daryl Hall's house, it's an empty room in the morning that turns into a show by 1pm...... i bring it all. <br>We record these shows every month and put out a new show on the 15th every month on the web. Every month will have a new guest..... i am mixing the next show with K.T. Tungstall right now that was recorded in Daryl's house in London.

Unfortunately the room gets too loud to mic the acoustic guitars (i tried), so we worked on the DI sound with the Taylor guitars with the Neve preamp system.
I record the stuff mostly flat using mic positions and working with the instruments to get the sounds instead of eq or compression, but i will use eq & compression when mixing. Recording in this space is constantly evolving.
I have a Mackie 32.4 console that provides the monitor mix and my monitoring, but i don't have a control room, just Senheisher Phones that i love and trust.
I mixed the stuff at my studio the following 2-3 days after recording it.
All gets recorded to Alesis HD24XR's at 24bit/48k/Analog In, then transfered to Protools 7 to be mixed.
I mix on a Sony DMXR-100 console clocked by a Apogee Big Ben.

Kick - Shure Beta 52 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Snare - Beta 57 - Api 512b (shure inline pad -20db)
Tom - Senn E604 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Hat - AKG C451(no pad or hpf on mic)(shure inline pad -20db) - Api 512b
OH's - AKG C451's (no pad or hpf) True P8
Bass - Radial Tone Bone xlr out to True P8
Acoustic Guitars - ADL 600 Tube DI - True P8
All Vocals - Beta 58's (old models with no transformers) - Focusrite Octapre w/hpf
Congas - Senn E604 - True P8
Perc Toys - AKG C451 - True P8
Keys DI's - Countryman's - Focusrite Octapre
Room mic 1 - Crown Stereo SASS mic (flat) - Mackie Onyx 32.4 console
Room mic 2 / Over the Kit - Stereo AT 8025 (flat) - Amek 9098 (4ch version)

All The Best,
Peter Moshay
Welcome to Peter Moshay's website.
PMoshay
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Hi Peter,

The whole broadcast thing is a great idea and sounds superb! I wondered if you could answer some questions for us/me? About how large of a space is the room? The ceiling looks like a standard two story height, but the other dimensions are difficult to estimate from the show. Second, how are the musician's monitoring themselves? I confess that, due to time limitations, I haven't seen as much as I intend to in the coming days. I didn't see monitors on the floor or a PA anywhere (again, from my viewings so far). Perhaps in-ear monitors? I see in the first show that you had a mic on Darryl's guitar, was that prior to using the Neve Expression system? What are your impressions of the Taylor/Neve system? The sound is far better than I have heard from other onboard acoustic systems. Or is that your mixing talent ? Finally, care to share the PT plugins you are getting the most mileage out of for the mixes? Again, everything sounds very natural and yet so very much like the records on which the songs were originally presented.

Thanks!
Kyle
Hey Kyle,
Actually, i was gonna address all those technical things in the next LFDH show, we figured that lots of the people watching were musicians themselves, so it would be interesting to put in some of the technical stuff like how it is being done in the video.
I've always wondered while watching old music shows like "The Ed Sullivan Show" or "Old Grey Whistle Test" why they never documented how it all went down technically, that would be great to see.

When we first came up with the idea to do this, Daryl's house was (and still is) under construction. He wanted me to put in a basic studio in the place, but i said we could record & rehearse in any of the rooms since they were big and warm sounding, particularly the "Great Room" where we do the show. I had the construction people put in Cat 6 cable & fiber everywhere and also leave cable channels under the house. I have not employed the Cat 6 or fiber yet.
The first show we recorded was really by the seat of our pants. We just used Handycams that anyone who was around would shoot with. Now we have a video director who still uses the handycams (and 1 pro Sony camera) and gets better lighting and camera angles..... Daryl wants it to look raw and NOT like a stock music video if possible, and does not want to go down any of the traditional paths if we can get away with it.
We want capture the performances as raw as possible, warts and all.
It's all still work in progress.

Monitors:
Daryl like (and needs) to hear himself fairly loud and he does not like ear monitors, so i bought (4) QSC HPR 122i monitors. Daryl gets 1 in front of him and sometimes T-Bone too, then i put 2 of the speakers on sticks in the corners of the room for everyone and put in a basic music mix. The room itself gets pretty loud even without monitors, but it's really a nice sounding room with a big bump in the 350-650hz that you need to tame when mixing.
Next show i will get the guys (except Daryl) on IEM's so they can get a better mix for themselves. I have shure wired IEM packs.

Guitars:
The guitars are still work in progress. i tried mic's on the first show, but all you really heard in the mic was the monitors and drums due to the volume & the guys not being so close to the mics (even using hypercardiod mics), so DI's are the only choice.
Larry Dalton from Fishman just gave us some of the new Aura acoustic mic modeling pedals that we will try out next show. I think the Taylors with the Neve system & Aura pedals might be a great combo..... i'll keep you posted as i am recording 2 new shows with them next week.

Room Size:
I'll measure it out next week and give you exact dimensions.
The room is Hemlock wood with Heart Pine floors.
Rugs are (4) 8'x4' area rugs from Home Depot

Mixing:
I try to make it raw and like it sounds in the room as much as possible, how it sounds is how i hear it.....Daryl like lots of effects on stuff, especially his voice..... i could never stop mixing and trying new things, but with deadlines and lots of other work i have going on, i have to commit to my first (or second) impression.

Plug in's:
I use some Sony's and Waves and Masseys, etc..... i have almost all of them, but really use my console mostly....... it's a great plug-in!
I've been using the beta version of the Sonnox Supressor (desser +!), its an amazing shaping tool too.

Upcoming Shows: (not in this order)
KT Tungstall
Mutlu
Nick Lowe
Liam Finn
Chuck Prophet
Mary J. Blige
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
Super Moderator

Peter,

Excellent gig report my man!

Keep up the good work.

All the best to you and yours!
PMoshay
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

update on the record rig.....
I just got (2) Focusrite ISA828's with the digital cards for 16 of the tracks...... I love them so far. I just did some show with them and really love the results using the medium impedence setting. Not sure why people have not picked up on how nice the ISA 828 pre is for the price....... a real great sounding front end with many sonic options.
The A/D converter is outstanding!
i will have the show mixed soon and will be posted on the July 15...... the Guest is Monte Montgomery an amazing guitarist/singer from Austin Tx....... his guitar playing will blow your mind!

All vocals,guitars & keys were recorded with the ISA828 w/digital card on med. setting. I only used the HPF on the vocal mics.
The drums & perc & bass were Amek 9098 (4ch) Kick,Hat,toms / True P8 / API 512b (2) snare

This time i also used the SM57 with the Tab transformer + a Audix D6 on the snare..... a great combination of mics, my new essential favorite.
26th June 2008
Old 26th June 2008
Lives for gear

Great thread Peter, thanks for all the info. Very cool to do a thing like this. I still think Daryl Hall is one of the best popsongwriters of all time, some of the Hall & Oates songs are close to being "the definition of a popsong" for me. Keep up the good work
26th June 2008
Old 26th June 2008

Peter, I understand Daryl almost worked with UK enigmatic genius Lewis Taylor - I heard he actually went to Lewis' house in London and asked him to produce a Hall and Oates Album?

Could you ask him?
LX3
28th June 2008
Old 28th June 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
update on the record rig.....
Not sure why people have not picked up on how nice the ISA 828 pre is for the price........
I think that might be because Focusrite pres - even the expensive ones - take a bit of a slamming on Gearslutz.

No, I don't get it either.

Loving your work btw
28th June 2008
Old 28th June 2008

That KT stuff sounds great - The piezo stuff sounds very real - Fishman pedals on these sessions?

The SM58 sounds great (OK it is actually KT and Daryl who sound great but the SM58 ain't no slouch at translating a great vocal!)
28th June 2008
Old 28th June 2008
Gear Head

Great music!!! Bookmarkin it!!!

29th June 2008
Old 29th June 2008
Gear interested

So what Taylor model does Daryl Hall use? i see the same one every show, with the yellow sticker above the volume/treble dials.

Just curious.

Thanks.
PMoshay
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Peter, I understand Daryl almost worked with UK enigmatic genius Lewis Taylor - I heard he actually went to Lewis' house in London and asked him to produce a Hall and Oates Album?

Could you ask him?
I had not heard anything about that, but when Daryl is in London at his place he hangs out with lots of people all in the music scene.
Right now we are really focused on doing the LFDH monthly shows, they are so much fun to do and very inspiring working with different artists on a "blind date" musical level.

We had never met Travis McCoy, KT Tunstall, Chuck Prophet before they walked into the room with us to do the show. The new upcoming show i am mixing now is with Monte Montgomery, who is AMAZING!!! It was a VERY SPECIAL SHOW, Check it out July 15, you'll become a Monte fan like me.

The beauty of it all for me (and Daryl & the band) is it's a shotgun wedding.......

As far as a new Hall & Oates record........ can't say when.... John is in the middle of his new solo record and we also have live H&O shows all the time.

I can say this...... There is no shortage of songs that are amazing waiting to be recorded....... Daryl & John just want to do these different types of things right now as they are fun too! but there will be another H&O record at some point, we just don't have enough hours in the day to do it all.
PMoshay
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
That KT stuff sounds great - The piezo stuff sounds very real - Fishman pedals on these sessions?

The SM58 sounds great (OK it is actually KT and Daryl who sound great but the SM58 ain't no slouch at translating a great vocal!)
The Vocal mic's are Beta 58's, but recently i changed to Shure KSM9's for Daryl & guest.

I got 16 ch of Focusrite ISA828's with D/A cards for the vocals & instruments now and do the AC guitars direct using a ADL300G DI to the ISA. I have the Fishman pedals and they sound great! i wanted to use them but chickened out at the last minute and decided to try them as an insert when mixing instead as there are so many great options with those pedals........ i want to flip thru the presets on each song and see what sounds best.
I'm getting one of these Pedal Ports to use the Fishman as an insert as it will be easier than the way i do it now. Pedal Port

I just don't have the time to experiment when we are tracking the show. I am also mixing monitors, setting it all up and running the production so my hands are full on show days.
PMoshay
17th July 2008
Old 17th July 2008
Lives for gear

We just posted this months webcast with incredible Guitarist / Singer / Artist - Monte Montgomery..... You wanna check him out, he's a incredibly talented guy and the show was very special. Loaded with great songs and playing / singing.

I also used 16 ch of the Focusrite ISA828's on the vocals / guitars / keys / room and really was pleased with the results.

Our favorite song is : "Thats The Way I Feel About you"

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Live From Daryl's House
17th July 2008
Old 17th July 2008
Lives for gear

...Another nice episode, can't wait for the next one. Good musicians, good songs, good sound. You must be having a great time. Awesome work man!
17th July 2008
Old 17th July 2008
Lives for gear

Great show Great feel lov'n it

Tx
PMoshay
4th September 2008
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Next up show is with "Finger Eleven" on Sept. 15.
Very Rockin! with electric guitars this show.......

Featuring the JMK 130 mic pre on the drums..... My new favorite mic pre.
Welcome to JMK Audio
4th September 2008
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

I like the cameo at the end of "adult education"

Great job
PMoshay
13th October 2008
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

This month on the 15th is Eric Hutchinson, a great songwriter and singer...... what a show!

P.S. - It's our 12th show = 1 year!...... Time for some Margaritas!

Also again Featuring the JMK 130 mic pre on the drums.....
14th October 2008
Old 14th October 2008
Super Moderator

Congratulations Peter; keep up the great work.
18th October 2008
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds fantastic Peter, esp. the drums... HA
Great songs as well...
18th October 2008
Old 18th October 2008
Gear addict

this is an amazing idea!!! and also the sound was excelent on the video. Who was the drummer on the eric hutchinson clip that guy can seriously groove.
I felt like purchasing something right away from the website but I never buy (or steal) downloadable media. Is there any chance that this material will comeout on a dvd sometime in the near future.
thanks
bigos
Saraswati Studios
PMoshay
18th October 2008
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigos View Post
this is an amazing idea!!! and also the sound was excelent on the video. Who was the drummer on the eric hutchinson clip that guy can seriously groove.
I felt like purchasing something right away from the website but I never buy (or steal) downloadable media. Is there any chance that this material will comeout on a dvd sometime in the near future.
thanks
bigos
Saraswati Studios
The drummer is Shawn Pelton (SNL drummer, as well as lots of others).
There is a Podcast on iTunes where you can download some of the episode. Its not the whole show, but eventually they all will be offered online (some are offered now).
Eric Hutchinson's record is fantastic! i got it 8 months ago on iTunes for $7.99...... it's packed with great songs and sounds fantastic too.

Our video director is making up a 1 year anniversary DVD - greatest hits from each show to sell online. It will be non-compressed full quality audio & video too!

I am working to get better audio quality on the webcast, right now it is encoded with Flash which makes it small and fast to stream, but i favor quicktime H.264 for video & audio quality.
So far the audio on the webcast is 96k using the On2 encoder which does both Video & audio
18th October 2008
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

18th October 2008
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

What a great concept and outstanding execution!!

Just now (thanks to this thread) became aware of these shows and I'm psyched at the many unseen archives I can look forward to catching up on.

Thanks Peter for posting here - this is such a cool idea. It just goes to show that there are still many unexplored ways to stand out, by utilizing the great technological leverage which the internet provides.

Please say Hey! to Daryl for me - I've always loved his voice and body of work.
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

I'm going to give this thread a little bump. I've been checking out the show, and it's terrific. If you haven't seen it yet, it's definitely worth checking out. It looks like a lot of fun. Great job Peter (and crew)!
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jazz View Post
I'm going to give this thread a little bump. I've been checking out the show, and it's terrific. If you haven't seen it yet, it's definitely worth checking out. It looks like a lot of fun. Great job Peter (and crew)!
I had the pleasure on working with Peter at a live Hall&Oates show in AC. He's one of the good guysthumbsup

Peace
Rob
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Super Moderator

Peter is indeed one of the good guys.

He's great to work and hang out with.
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Very nice as always. I'd be interested to know how big the room is if you know or get a chance to 'walk it off'.

Thanks for the show!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search