Login / Register

Tags: , , , , ,

Live From Daryl's House
New Reply
Subscribe
24th August 2010
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

I would love to see something like this with a bit more of hard rock edge to suit my personal tastes but nonetheless its really great what you are doing.. I can only imagine you would have a lot of fun working on it also..

Have you looked into other delivery options to extend it beyond flash on a webpage ? I have noticed companies are starting to include ethernet and wifi on new model TVs and they can access youtube etc.. It would be great to see a standard developed where you could create a show like this and broadcast the channel direct to peoples set top box or TVs through the net connection..

Forgive my ignorance if thats already happening.. i live in australia and things take a while to reach us.. They also usually cost 3 times as much when they get here!!!
PMoshay
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to PMoshay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
Have you looked into other delivery options to extend it beyond flash on a webpage ? I have noticed companies are starting to include ethernet and wifi on new model TVs and they can access youtube etc.. It would be great to see a standard developed where you could create a show like this and broadcast the channel direct to peoples set top box or TVs through the net connection..

Forgive my ignorance if thats already happening.. i live in australia and things take a while to reach us.. They also usually cost 3 times as much when they get here!!!
I am trying to get the shows to be streamed using H.264 so they can be viewed on iPhones and ipads, etc. With every change we make means that we have to do it to the past 30+ episodes as well, so it will be happening in the near future. There are benefits to flash as well as down sides, same with H.264.
We do post some of the show episodes on YouTube, they limit the length as well as the song markers/indexes, so it is not an ideal platform for a show, but is fantastic for getting a few songs out there.

Broadcasting to set top boxes is a great idea, but trying to find a standard that everyone agrees upon can't even be done with the largest media companies in the world right now, so we don't even stand a chance.
We pay a premium for fast hosting so the end viewer can get the stream as fast as their pipeline can suck it up, in my case here, my cable modem is off the charts fast, so I can load a whole song in about 10-20 sec. The average dsl user will take up to 3min or so to load a whole song.
It's always a fine balance between quality (file size) and speed (end viewers connection speed) that drives Internet quality. And end users speeds are really getting better & better over time.
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
I am trying to get the shows to be streamed using H.264 so they can be viewed on iPhones and ipads, etc. With every change we make means that we have to do it to the past 30+ episodes as well, so it will be happening in the near future. There are benefits to flash as well as down sides, same with H.264.
We do post some of the show episodes on YouTube, they limit the length as well as the song markers/indexes, so it is not an ideal platform for a show, but is fantastic for getting a few songs out there.

Broadcasting to set top boxes is a great idea, but trying to find a standard that everyone agrees upon can't even be done with the largest media companies in the world right now, so we don't even stand a chance.
We pay a premium for fast hosting so the end viewer can get the stream as fast as their pipeline can suck it up, in my case here, my cable modem is off the charts fast, so I can load a whole song in about 10-20 sec. The average dsl user will take up to 3min or so to load a whole song.
It's always a fine balance between quality (file size) and speed (end viewers connection speed) that drives Internet quality. And end users speeds are really getting better & better over time.

Cool.. I am hopeful something more standardised evolves over the next few years for delivery to TV and set top boxes.. It would be cool if you could add a show like yours as a channel on your set top box or TV and then flick to it like any other program.. In the meantime, I'll keep watching your episodes.. Congratulations on the great work..
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
Gear addict

Peter, thank you for sharing what you do to get the very impressive results. Streaming from the site on a modest dsl connection yields very few staggers here - you must have found a good balance between compression and quality. Kudos to Uline too; sorry about T-Bone.
rgds,
WalterT
2nd January 2011
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear interested

My compliments

Stunning show.

Your web show is also fabulous on WGN/ the TV screen. Great visuals on my 52" Samsung and audio via Sony ES and Polk. Wife wanted me to lower the volume but up it went and it was clear---crystal clear.

I would love to see Daryl/ you/ and crew as a regular show.

Congratulation on doing what no one else has done.
2nd January 2011
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear addict

Right on Peter...

New Years eve was really fun flipping back and forth from Darryl to not-so-talented acts on other channels. It is also refreshing as hell to me to see music vets still cranking it out and having fun with music. Hats off to everyone there for capturing the jams.
2nd January 2011
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Right on Peter...

New Years eve was really fun flipping back and forth from Darryl to not-so-talented acts on other channels. It is also refreshing as hell to me to see music vets still cranking it out and having fun with music. Hats off to everyone there for capturing the jams.
Couldn't agree more thumbsup

The difference between the real thing and the 'canned' acts is simply stunning. It's a real privilege to be able to hear these cats at work/play - no auto-tuning and every note perfectly...wonderfully...miraculously in place. Hell, even their flubs (few & far between) sound great!

Hats off gentleman. Thank you, thank you, thank you ...

~8^)

The enemy isn't liberalism or conservatism, the enemy is bullshit --
Lars-Erik Nelson

Now, when there's no longer surface noise and you actually have the ability to have the most extraordinary dynamic range, people aren't using it -- T-Bone Burnett
The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them -- Albert Einstein
I'm not black, but there's a whole lot of times I wish I could say I'm not white -- Frank Zappa

3rd January 2011
Old 3rd January 2011
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Exclamation Live From Daryl's House - simpily the best on the Net!

Just thirteen words...

'Live From Daryl's House' is the best live music show on the Internet!
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Gear nut

Wow! I'd never heard of this before. What a great show! I've watched several segments now. Fantastic, laid back atmosphere...like hanging out with the band and very well done technically.

This'll be one of my new regular favorites!

Reference Point Recording
Multitrack Location Recording
Salt lake City, Utah

Karl@ReferencePointRecording.com

Visit me at Facebook
gdh
23rd January 2011
Old 23rd January 2011
gdh
Gear maniac

Send a message via ICQ to gdh
My wife and I first heard of the show while watching Daryl on Private Sessions. Incredibly well done on so many levels - the sound is excellent and we really enjoy the video. As others have said it is refreshing to see excellent musicians who are also long time friends sitting down and just playing for the love of music. Thank-you to all involved for this. When are the next shows set to air and who will be the guest(s)?
PMoshay
23rd January 2011
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

So glad that people are liking the show, thanks so much for the nice messages.
We have a busy year coming up as the show starts to go out to some TV stations & cable. Our viewership on the web doubled starting the on New Years Eve when the first television broadcast went out. It was great to hear all the feedback and hear from so many first time viewers who saw it for the first time...... it hooked quite a few people.
38 Episodes, over 2 1/2 years later, we are catching on........ Thanks for all your support, you all have been big supporters here and i'm glad to have been able to weather the challenges of it all and share some of the technical insides along the way.

My advice to anyone out there with a idea to do something innovative with your music.... DO IT & DO IT WELL, you will succeed if you put the best quality you can into it and never settle, and never give up.
We all have invested alot of hard work (and money) into this show, and people thought we were nuts at the start..... and we couldn't argue with them because when you can't see the results of others in the past, you are just working on pure passion and dreams.
I sure hope our show spurs others to do something musically that they have been wanting to do too, theres lots of people hungry for this kind of content.
We have not needed to change the show to conform to TV, we keep the vision of it intact...... great artists & musicians making music and having fun & eating great food. We also will always have the web show every month for free..... and we can thank U-Line for that, Dick & Liz Uline have been our supporters since almost the first show.

We are off to NATPE convention in Miami this week to play with Jose Feliciano for some of the TV people who love the show......... Jose is a blast! One of the funniest & nicest people you'll ever meet.
23rd January 2011
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I just now finally checked it out. Hey, real music by real musicians. What's that about!!?? Really nice, and I have 38 shows to go through. Woohoo!
23rd January 2011
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd sell my first born to see an episode with Steve Perry.
23rd January 2011
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Theres a lot of potential in the coming years for independant content creators to develope their own shows like you have done here and im excited by the prospects.. As i mentioned earlier in the post if the technology reaches a point where its easy to broadcast video across the web into peoples set top boxes and TIVO etc.. then web programs can be seamlessly integrated with other TV channels on a persons home theatre setup and for anyone as a creator you really have no barriers to a major TV network..

If you got a good idea and create good content there's nothing stopping you from turning into the next MTV.. the potential for this gets stronger as the nets bandwidth improves but i can see why its got media companies concerned..
PMoshay
17th March 2011
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hey All,
Check out our 40th Episode with Todd Rundgren from his house in Kauai, Hawaii.
What a great place and amazing music! I urge you all to go visit Kauai, you'll fall in love, it's paradise.

We have some great artists coming up ~ Stay tuned for more.
ST.
18th March 2011
Old 18th March 2011
ST.
Gear maniac

I discovered this show about a year ago and have been checking out videos of it that are available on youtube. This is seriously SUCH a good idea. I've discovered some artists I'd never have heard of. All the musicians involved are so fantastic. It's truly inspiring. I did a search of it and came across this thread a second ago and am ecstatic to find all of this wonderful info on how this is recorded.

My wife and I love to watch the episode that featured Chromeo. The energy between the musicians really translates into the music and the whole presentation. It sounds absolutely wonderful to boot. If they made an album together I'd have to buy it.

Much respect to all involved-- I'm very thankful.
PMoshay
23rd March 2011
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Hey All, Good News....... We are now iPad & iPhone compatible for all the new episodes and going back a few episodes as well right now.
We are in process of encoding all the past episodes so you'll have them all soon next time you're stuck in an airport or in a waiting room to enjoy!

Lots of great new artists coming up that we are all SUPER excited About!

Come on and stop by the house, the address is Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: Homepage
24th March 2011
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
I dunno but do we need an update regarding all the techie stuff? with some pics

any new stuff you tried over the course of this project? btw. the show with Todd Rundgren sounds awesome!!!
PMoshay
24th March 2011
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
I dunno but do we need an update regarding all the techie stuff? with some pics

any new stuff you tried over the course of this project? btw. the show with Todd Rundgren sounds awesome!!!
I am going to take some new picts and update the setup notes with the new things i'm trying. I'll also try to do some video of the setup if time permits.
I always try new things if possible, i almost never use the same snare mic setup, i like using 2 top snare mics taped together with a dynamic and condenser....... but am always looking to hear something new.
I really love using the Audix D4 mics on toms & congas & amps, etc..... in fact they sound great on just about anything you want to sound "Thick"....... and who doesn't like Thick!

As ive mentioned before, Daryls room gets loud as its not treated at all, so my recording situation is not like recording in a studio or on a stage. Ive had to make adjustments over the course of shows, and am also always at the mercy of the video as well because it all has to look good on camera too.
Its a crowded room when its all set up, much more than it looks on tv.

Ive been so happy mixing the show on my SSL AWS900+SE console, its such a great console in so many ways. I think SSL really nailed it with the AWS line for sound, function & price.

Thanks again for all the support for everyone watching, so glad you all enjoy it as much as we do.
gdh
14th April 2011
Old 14th April 2011
gdh
Gear maniac

Send a message via ICQ to gdh
My wife told me about the new show at T R's place, that house looks so cool. I'll have to watch the full video again but it looked like you all had a great time, I had to stop the video as all that food made me hungry, but I will get back to it. After the winter we've all had a trip to Hawaii would have been truly heaven. Again thanks for posting, it makes watching the shows that much better.
LX3
18th April 2011
Old 18th April 2011
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdh View Post
My wife told me about the new show at T R's place, that house looks so cool. I'll have to watch the full video again but it looked like you all had a great time, I had to stop the video as all that food made me hungry, but I will get back to it. After the winter we've all had a trip to Hawaii would have been truly heaven. Again thanks for posting, it makes watching the shows that much better.
Yes, great show, although any sensitive vegetarians should be prepared to fast-forward over some of the cooking scenes
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Head

Just wanted to add my appreciation for a job well done. Quality at every level, and yes - real musicians playing real music and having real fun. Even got to see some of my closest drummer friends live from Todd's house. Kauai is definitely heaven - it's a very small place, so if you ask around for the best drummers, you'll definitely get my friends. Makes me want to go back, but I guess I missed the gig.
PMoshay
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I know i mentioned that i have been using Audix D4 mics on drums & percussion, but i was thinking "these sound nice & thick, i should use them on guitar amps"............yes, they are fantastic on amps and are my new choice.
If you have not tried a D4 yet, you should try one and see if it suits your taste..... i have found them to be a new favorite of mine.
I am using them on our upcoming show with John Resnick from the Goo Goo Dolls...
Attached Thumbnails
Live From Daryl's House-joe-amps.jpg  
PMoshay
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, we just won for best performance series on the 2011 MTV "O" Awards.

Next month a INCREDIBLE episode with John Rzeznik of the GooGoo Dolls
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Head

Congratulations!!!

This is my favorite show period. Love the different artists, a few I have not heard of until your show. Always nice to hear some new artists that fit in so well with the legends. The sound is great and Daryl is one of my favorite singers of all time. I think the cooking portion of the show is a very cool idea also. Oh yeah did I mention the sound is great........ Looking forward to next month.
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Congrats; it could happen to a better group of folks!

Quote:
Wow, we just won for best performance series on the 2011 MTV "O" Awards.

Next month a INCREDIBLE episode with John Rzeznik of the GooGoo Dolls
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Guru

I'm watching more of the shows right now. Such great music, this could keep me busy for a while..

Ice in her eyes, frozen tears could never be a surprise
You can't erase a dream you can only wake me up
PMoshay
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Here's my latest list of what im using now as of 2011 - i'm constantly trying new stuff and finding new favorites.

There is no control room, just a spare room in the house that i set up with my stuff - no sound treatment in any rooms.
I monitor & do monitor mixes using a Sony DMXR-100 Console, the console is not used to record, just for playback.
All gets recorded to Alesis HD24XR's at 24bit/48k/24 tracks are Digital in from ISA828's, the rest using Analog In, then transferred to Protools 9 to be mixed.
I have 48 main tracks & 48 backup running at all times.
All Cables used are Planet Waves Mic cables & DB25 snakes
I mix on a SSL AWS900+SE.

Kick - Shure Beta 52 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Snare (Top only) - Audix i5 & Beyer 201 (Taped together) - Vintech 473
Toms - Audix D4 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Hat - AKG C451 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
OH's - AKG C451's - Vintech 473
Bass - Radial Tone Bone xlr out to True P8
Electric Guitars - Audix D4's - Focusrite ISA828 (ISA Imp)
Acoustic Guitars - Radial JDI Passive DI's - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Lead Vocals - Shure KSM9 - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Backing Vocals - Audix OM6 or i5 - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Congas - Audix D4's - Focusrite ISA828 (ISA Imp)
Perc Toys - ATM450 - Focusrite ISA828 (ISA Imp)
Keys DI's - Radial JDI Duplex DI - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Room mic 1 - Crown Stereo SASS mic (flat) - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Room mic 2 / Over the Kit - Stereo AT 8025 (flat) - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Surround Mic (for future use) Holophone H4 Super Mini
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Gear Guru

What? No sound treatments?

Seriously, what a great concept, and show. Peter thanks for keeping us up on this. Any way for someone to get to watch one of these performances live?

I simply must request that Daryl sing 'Lady Rain' sometime, one of my all time favorite songs. Oh, and 'Me and Mrs. Jones', I saw it on A&E Live By Request so many years ago, most memorable live performance ever!
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info! You have said that it's loud in the room and obviously you use wedges. How do you keep the recordings so clean sounding? Is it just perfect mic placement? Open monitors have been the bane of my life!

Quote:
Here's my latest list of what im using now as of 2011 - i'm constantly trying new stuff and finding new favorites.

There is no control room, just a spare room in the house that i set up with my stuff - no sound treatment in any rooms.
I monitor & do monitor mixes using a Sony DMXR-100 Console, the console is not used to record, just for playback.
All gets recorded to Alesis HD24XR's at 24bit/48k/24 tracks are Digital in from ISA828's, the rest using Analog In, then transferred to Protools 9 to be mixed.
I have 48 main tracks & 48 backup running at all times.
All Cables used are Planet Waves Mic cables & DB25 snakes
I mix on a SSL AWS900+SE.

Kick - Shure Beta 52 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Snare (Top only) - Audix i5 & Beyer 201 (Taped together) - Vintech 473
Toms - Audix D4 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
Hat - AKG C451 - Amek 9098 (4ch version)
OH's - AKG C451's - Vintech 473
Bass - Radial Tone Bone xlr out to True P8
Electric Guitars - Audix D4's - Focusrite ISA828 (ISA Imp)
Acoustic Guitars - Radial JDI Passive DI's - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Lead Vocals - Shure KSM9 - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Backing Vocals - Audix OM6 or i5 - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Congas - Audix D4's - Focusrite ISA828 (ISA Imp)
Perc Toys - ATM450 - Focusrite ISA828 (ISA Imp)
Keys DI's - Radial JDI Duplex DI - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Room mic 1 - Crown Stereo SASS mic (flat) - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Room mic 2 / Over the Kit - Stereo AT 8025 (flat) - Focusrite ISA828 (Med Imp)
Surround Mic (for future use) Holophone H4 Super Mini

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search