Tags: , , ,

Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank & Specialty Right Here!
28th March 2006
Old 28th March 2006
Gear addict

Wow, seems like everyones jumping on this train, better do my bit, I think.

Name: Jesse Mahoney

Position: Freelance engineer, 60% FOH, Monitor engineer, system tech, 20% studio work with people there, and 20% mixdown for live recordings. I also do

I've been doing audio full time now for a whole 2 years, and am just crossing the hump from "hey, this is fun" to "hey, this a career and it's making me a proper living", which is nice. I get hired because I'm fast and I don't drop the ball very often, and I deal with stressprone clients very well.

I truly envy you folks in the U.S. You have the population and the economy to support massive rigs and the business' behind them that are few and far between here down under. There few remote trucks on the east coast of Australia are usually part of a greater media company, and are geared towards boradcast and vision, not audio. The national broadcaster, the ABC, is the go-to team for top notch remote work, and are hard to compete with on price, as they are supported as part of a much larger organisation.

I'm enjoying what I do here, but as far as career progression, I can see a point in the next 10 years where a move overseas may be on the cards, depending on opportunities and/or offers. I know I'm not the first, and I know I wouldn't be the last.

I guess that's all for the moment, I'm not prone to big posts, and it's time for bed, work in the morning (which is awesome!!)
28th March 2006
Old 28th March 2006
Gear maniac

Arrow I love this thread !

I'll chime in my little stuff.

Kirk Thompson Producer/Engineer/Studio owner.
Master Mix Recording & Sound

We currently do about 5-6 remote jobs per year that are multi track sessions and about 10 straight 2-track stuff.

I have already gained a wealth of knowledge from this thread and feel like with us all having a common intrest we can all give into the pool and make us all stronger.

My meager tools consist of:

Multi track rig: Presonus digimax pres into a Alesis Hd24 monitored by a Mackie 32/8. I use my studio mics which are just about everything you can imagine.

Straight 2-track: Dell Inspiron 8600 with an M-box going into Wavelab and a couple AT 4033's on large stands.

Thought for the day: Umm, hmm, I don't have one..........

Kirk
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear interested

hey all- checking in

Name:
Alex Nizich

Studio engineer
Specialty:
Making musicians real happy

Thought for the day:
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear addict

I am new here,
started doing live sound in 1968.
I am now doing on location minimualist stereo recording.
my main market is the school music programs to provide cd's for fundraising.
this is to help the music programs survive...
I am the chief bottle washer and cook (the only one)!
-metric halo uln2/qtc1mp-
I use ortf/nos and jecklin disc mic techniques primarily.

I am looking for a new mic stand
anyone know of something akin to AEA's crank up stand??
need 20+ rise with boom???
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
I am new here,

Hey Dale welcome- sorry i don't know where to get that mic stand- but where did you purchase the jecklin disc? also do you think it would be possible to use wide cardiod capsules with a jecklin disc?
5th April 2006
Old 5th April 2006
Gear addict

Cameron Wiley
Third Dimension Studio
Specializing in on-location recording

I guess I too should introduce myself and not sneak around so much.

First of all, I have to say that Steve is quite giving of his time and obvious talents. It sometimes blows me away how inspirational this guy is. This is a great forum in no small part because of him.

A Guitar player and former trumpet player. I feel like a lucky bastard to be doing what I love for a living, and I can't imagine getting much busier than I am these day's.

Also, I am a staff engineer in Boston at the New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall five nights a week. For those who haven't been, it is arguably among the finest chamber halls in the US. In that gig I record tons of classical music, much jazz and even occational pop tunes during our contemporary music department's concerts.

Though my wife razzez me that I look at least ten years younger than I really am, I have been recording for almost twenty years. And Mark Donahue might be envious of my token "remote guy" back surgery several years back.

Practically everything I do is 32 tracks or less. Its hard to imagine using 48 tracks on one single group of musicians. Except as a placebo.

My most reliable piece of gear on my NEC gig is a Prism Dream Dream ADA-8 loaded with 16 A/D being fed by 24 Channels of Grace 801R. Eight channels of 801R is over the stage of the hall where the xedit mic reelers reside. We have 18 Schoeps 4 DPA, 8 Neumanns, 2 MKH 20's, Royers121 etc etc. Yada Yada Yada

Nuendo and wavelab is the center of the NEC rig being controlled by an O2R96 and sumultaniously backed up to DA78 on every concert.

My freelance rig is ATI/Millenia/Summit/Focusrite into A/D16X into RME Digiface. I have about thirty something great mics myself and my new most bitchinest Jazz Piano mic is my Royer SF24.

Having said all of that, I do believe that it's really about the music stupid!

Jazz/singer songwriter/Rock and Classical is what I work on. The Jazz and rock is the most fun for me though when it's good stuff. It's amazing that we can invoke different feelings from highlighting certain elements in a mix.

It's great to be here!

March 2007 Update:

I have an incredible new job! Having recently moved from Boston and taken a position at Minnesota Public Radio as the Broadcast engineer for the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. I will of course be working on many other groups as well, in many different locations. Two weeks ago I did my first MPR Rock and Roll broadcast recording at the Fitzgerald theater for a very cool and extremely foxy band called "Coach Said Not To". Many many more will follow I am sure. I hope they're all as good looking. Listen on: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/ or 99.5 89.3 & 91.1 in the twin cities. Oh and though I unfortunately have to use Protools once again at work, (having been so happy when I left it behind years ago) I have recently purchased Sequoia 9, and am looking forward to using it instead of PT as much as possible once installed. I am hoping it will be as much of a step over Nuendo/Wavelab as Nuendo/Wavelab was over Protools.

Peace!

Cameron

Last edited by roonsbane; 27th March 2007 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: New Job update!
Remoteness
5th April 2006
Old 5th April 2006
Super Moderator

Cameron,

Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it.
With that said, I’m only as good as the members in this forum!

I’m pleased to know many of you and look forward to possibly meeting the rest of you folks down the road. In any event, we have this killer remote forum to be proud of.

We have done right by our regular Remotesters and guests…
Like I've said in the past, our traffic flow may not be high but our content level surely is.

Last edited by Remoteness; 6th April 2006 at 04:48 PM..
6th April 2006
Old 6th April 2006
Lives for gear

Your Place Or Mine Remote- website

Well we are finally getting our website up and running.

Have a look: http://www.ypomr.com/

All part of the new upgrade to Aphex remote pres, MADI and the Mackie Xbus 200 monitor console.

Mark
Remoteness
6th April 2006
Old 6th April 2006
Super Moderator

Awesome stuff Mark! Congratulations on the website and the new rig and such.

Furthermore, you happen to be the eightieth person to join the Remote Forum Role Call my man!

Thanks for making yourself available to everyone that hangs around the Remote Possibilities Forum at Gearslutz.com – You rawk!
6th April 2006
Old 6th April 2006
Lives for gear

Back at ya.....

Thanks Steve,

I just took delivery of the Aphex 1788a's this afternoon. They sure look nice all piled up in the rack.

Got the XBR last week and am awaiting the roadcase I ordered for it.

Now for a bit of wiring and interfacing.

It never ends.... Mark
Remoteness
6th April 2006
Old 6th April 2006
Super Moderator

That's wonderful news! Keep us posted on what you think of those 1788s after a bunch of gigs.

I've been toying with the idea of getting 12 to 16 of them and build four different rigs. One 48, one 32 and two 24 channel setups similar to what we did with our XTA active splitter systems. It keeps us flexible and when we need more channels on any one particular date the various combinations can accommodate each and every situation most efficiently.
8th April 2006
Old 8th April 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizer
Hey Dale welcome- sorry i don't know where to get that mic stand- but where did you purchase the jecklin disc? also do you think it would be possible to use wide cardiod capsules with a jecklin disc?

I just ordered the AEA CRK so that is a moot point.

I built my own jecklin disc using the info under "the lazy recording rig" here.
< http://www.klankschap.nl/ >
it works quite well with the earthworks, which are omni...
also check out his "vertical microphone method."

has anyone had any experience with slew limiting???

dale
AjD
18th April 2006
Old 18th April 2006
AjD
Gear addict

Per Steve's gracious invitation, I'll sound off too..

Name:
AjD (Adam)

Owner / Operator of drawingroom, just outside of Ann Arbor, MI (recently moved from motor city)

Specialty:
I don't record remote, so I guess I'm the odd bird here. However, I'm a producer/musician/songwriter, and I do a *lot* of one-room all live, old school style-recording. I believe it's a lost art, and it's high time it be rediscovered. Many of the same concepts that you remote guys use every day apply to me as well... I've been 'borrowing' your ideas ever since I found this board.

Oh, and I also work part-time at home - so I guess I'm part of that burgeoning 'home studio threat'. However, I do 2-3 records a year, hand pick the artists I work with, and do 'real producing' - I help artists' vision their projects from the ground up, old school producer style, and often arrange parts and play lots of instruments on these releases too. I'm also serious as a heart attack about my gear and my room. Ask me about it... I love to talk about what I do. Yes I'm that humble .

Thought for today:
This is the new 'golden age' of recording... as I age (I'm nearing 40), I'm finding it's easy to glorify the 'good old days', but someday our grandkids will talk about our time (right now) with awe. What we're all doing with the new gear and new techniques is revolutionary. History will remember us that way, I'm sure of it.
18th April 2006
Old 18th April 2006
Gear Head

Roll Call

Name: Craig Penrod
Specialty: Remote Truck for over 10 years based out ot Dallas/Fort Worth. I'm getting ready to build bigger 2nd truck now.
Thuoght of day: Amen to Steve's thought, I've networked with other studio's for gear (If some one needs my U47's , it's their's at no charge, I might need to borrow his "what ever" for my gig). Never think another remoter as competition but as a freind to help or to be helped! It's a small world out there and we need to support one another!
Many Thanks Steve
Craig Penrod
CPPI
Craig Penrod Productions Inc.
Remoteness
18th April 2006
Old 18th April 2006
Super Moderator

Very refreshing thoughts -- Thanks a lot.

IMO, it's the only way to roll.
18th April 2006
Old 18th April 2006
Gear interested

Name:
Dan Sullivan

Owner of new small business

Specialty:
Just sold of my previous business (live sound and lighting), in favour of experimenting in the location recording area, whilst continueing my live sound freelancing to keep the money coming in.

I'm new here and am just starting to look at building my first recording setup so need all the advice I can get, see "new small scale location recording setup required" thread.
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Hi, I'm new to this part of Gearslutz- How did I not see this before today!! I checked out the strippe dmusic website- Nice work. My name is Mark Rufino, I just purchased some very basic, low end remote stuff (protools mpowered, firewire 1814, behringer ada8000, xlr splitters, some basic mics, running on my laptop). Im in NJ, lookig to work with young bands and make affordable, decent recordings and hoping to steer some intelligent decisions. Right now, I record our church services every Sunday (and sometimes play bass too, so I run back and forth during soundcheck!) and have done a few free recordings for locals as I get my stuff working. I look to upgrade stuff as funds and work allows, my day gig is as a behaviorist with kids and adults with disabilities as well as playing bass in a lot of projects and occasionally engineering at a friend's studio. I look forward to learning a ton on this forum, it seems like everyone is ready to share info and I hope I can contribute something worthwhile soon. Thanks for makign this forum interesting already. I am especially digging the pictures, they make the explanations make sense.
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Gear nut

Name
Dale Adams

Rank
Head Engineer for Overture Studios

Specialty
Delivering great sounding recordings for the budget

Thought for the day
Always look where you want to go

Setups include from big to small:
Check out www.overturestudios.com
Also been known to pick up a few gigs with these guys www.jdmmobile.com

Personal small rig includes a Digi 002 rack w/Big Ben Clock w/ a few Neve 1073 or 84's for mic pres, UA 2610 and building

Been recording in wacky places most of my 15 yrs.+ career. Lots of studio work along the way.

Looking foward to sharing whatever ideas may be bouncing around in my cranium . Hopefully they'll make any sense to you guys.
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Awesome! Noble cause. Much respect for you right off the bat, Sir.. Lord knows we need people like you in the trenches. Music and arts programs are very important.

Minimalist(somewhat) is my philosophy too. Id love to hear some of your work!

Im Experimentin with Baffled 8s this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
I am new here,

24th April 2006
Old 24th April 2006
Gear nut

FilmDingo

Name
Deane Patterson

Rank
Sole Liability for Third Signal

Specialty
making it work for projects that somehow always have an odd twist.
(yes, I have recorded an erhu...it was easir than playing tin whistles on the deck of ship in a gale on the Irish Sea)

Thought for the day.
No mic sounds "better" it just sounds different. Sometimes different is better.

I've been in an out of pro audio for over 18 years (I'm not totally old and decrepit yet, I did it for money from a very young age.)

After producing and recording a few albums I got sidetracked into working on a couple of movies (you can rent them, but you'd ask for your money back) and after a 3 year hiatus from music I realised I thought TV sucks and even started to hate movies. Music is way more fun in a kind of Macgyver/seat of your pants/no budget but they can really play/ way.

I've lived and/or worked in 11 different countries and now call San Antonio, Texas home.
Remoteness
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmDingo
...Thought for the day.
No mic sounds "better" it just sounds different. Sometimes different is better....
I like that quote.

Welcome aboard the forum.
19th May 2006
Old 19th May 2006
Gear interested

Hey Everyone. My name is Adam. I work at Aura Sonic with Steve Remote, the biggest gearslut out their (and the moderator of this forum for those that don't know). I have posted a few times here, but haven't really said hello and introduced myself. I hope to add to the discussions and especially to the threads that Steve posts discussing our gigs.

I also wanted everyone to know that we just finished posting a massive Photo Gallery on our website - www.aurasonicltd.com

The pictures span Aura Sonic's 30 years in business (and still counting). We put up some really great pictures of gigs, artists, sets, and gear that I know you all will enjoy. When you go to the homepage, click on the "n" in "Sonic" to view the photo gallery. Steve and I would love to answer questions about any of the pictures.

Adam
20th May 2006
Old 20th May 2006
Gear interested

Hey everyone, I'm Alec. I am just jumping right into remote recording, and am hoping to build a truck fairly soon here. I've been studying with some people who I think are fantastic at studio recording here in Kalamazoo - Ian Gorman, and John Campos being the two most important. I've been doing live sound for, I believe, 8 years, since I was in 7th grade, and am coming up through the ranks at Western Sound Studios very quickly - already taking on my own clients, including one of our biggest, Gold Company.

I also do live sound for Gold Company, although entirely seperate from my recording life. We performed at IAJE in NYC this past January, although I had not yet really caught the bug, and did not know about Steve Remote, so I didn't get to meet him there. GC also came back to NYC a few weeks ago to perform at both Carnegie Hall (in the Isaac Stern Auditorium) and at Jazz at Lincoln Center (in the Allen Room). If we hadn't been so busy (we were only there Friday through very early Monday morning, with both concerts on Sunday) I would have tried to meet up with Steve Remote then.

If anyone wants to know anything else, give me a shout!

alec
Remoteness
20th May 2006
Old 20th May 2006
Super Moderator

Awesome, I wish I had a chance to catch your performances at IAJE. Which day did you folks play?

Look us up the next time your in NYC.

20th May 2006
Old 20th May 2006
Gear interested

We played Saturday at 2, if memory serves correctly.

And I wil certainly look you up.
21st May 2006
Old 21st May 2006
Gear nut

greetings!

Name:
Matt Pneumatic

Psychologist of music

Specialty:
My main course is Sirius Satellite Radio where I'm a broadcast engineer. Classical remotes with studio contracting/building on the side (sounds like a good meal...).

Thought for today:
Don't get caught up in the minute things. Always be able to take a step back and look at the big picture cause there's always something far larger that needs to be taken care of.
1st June 2006
Old 1st June 2006
Gear maniac

Name: Tom Chance

Specialty: Recording mostly acoustic, folk, and bluegrass. I've been doing live FOH for a year or so part time, and will do a couple festivals this summer. I've been trolling around here for a while now and have just landed a recording gig at a venue in town. Going to have to get my chops up in a hurry, so expect more questions than answers. dayjob CNC programmer

Thought for the day: God creates, man re-arranges
Remoteness
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Super Moderator

I've seen a few new visitors viewing and posting in this forum.

Care to chime in? We'd love to hear from you.
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Gear interested

Name:

The Legendary Beau Brown

Somewhere in between rookie and Expert, always learning

Specialty:

Christian remotes, Jazz, Strings and everyone says drums. I love Jam music and catching those special moments.

Jacksonville, Florida or anywhere a mini-van or airplane can get.

Thought of the day:

Keep your ears protected and keep trying new ideas, you never know what you'll get!

Coolest Project:

Anytime muisc is playing is the coolest moment in life
Remoteness
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary
Name:

...Rank:

Somewhere in between rookie and Expert, always learning...
Ah yes, you're what I like to call a Journeyman.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search