KT DN9696 - 96 TRACK 96K Recorder
New Reply
Subscribe
cppi
6th November 2007
Old 6th November 2007
Gear Head

Talking KT DN9696 - 96 TRACK 96K Recorder

I haven't read anything here on this 96 track 96K at 24 bit hard disk recorder aimed at "LIVE PERFORMANCE'S" . Anybody know anything about this beast?

Last edited by cppi; 6th November 2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Bold title
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

The DN9696 is simply awesome!!! It's a custom version of the SADiE MTR software and DSP with additional live performance monitoring and control features.

Man, I seriously cannot wait to play with one of these puppies when they become available.
A pair of those will look really sweet next to my tall stack of DN780s.

Klark Teknik also purchased the audio networking system from Sony Oxford.
SuperMAC and HyperMAC is now licensed to Klark Teknik for their XL8 digital consoles.

A very cool situation for sure...

Wow!
Attached Thumbnails
KT DN9696 - 96 TRACK 96K Recorder-ktdn9696ii.jpg  
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Looks really cool... Two things for sure- if it has SADiE's name on it, it will be 1- very reliable and 2- very expensive.

A year ago or so, I saw a guy running a SADiE PCM64 on location and I was amazed at some of the things it could do. Pretty much, you could run it like a console and/or a multitrack. You could use the console for your input signals and record your two track mix.

I'm sure this will be a great product.

--Ben
http://www.fifthcircle.com
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Looks very cool!

Was this product shown at AES? Wish I'd seen it. My big questions:

1) price?

2) I/O options?

3) how hard to port files into ProTools?

I hope more people in the industry start moving in this direction. I mean, sheesh, I still have racks full of Tascam DA machines I can't part with (not worth anything anymore, viable backup machines) and multiple 24-track machines slaved together. A single machine with 96 tracks is VERY hip, if we can afford it!
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Ben,

What do you think the price point will be based on the SADIE pricing?
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Wow! Alla Homer Simpson...Ahhh..Sadie..drool.

My guess is in the nieghborhood of 30K USD. Software not included! I love Sadie, but couldn't justify the client/cost ratio. So I settled with Pyramix
8th November 2007
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hard to say... The press release doesn't really give many details- how is it interfaced, what sort of dsp is in it, etc....

Last time I looked, a relatively full featured SADiE DAW ran in the $25-30K range. This has more tracks, but is really built for one thing. If it has 96 channels of converters, I would imagine the price would go up substantially...

Guess that is the long way of saying that I have no clue, but knowing where the rest of their line runs, probably not cheap.

--Ben
8th November 2007
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

I know that Sadie has been fairly expensive in the past, but I thnk they are reasonably competitive these days (as most people have to be when you look at the market). I suspect that they are aiming at a pirce sub £10,000 or less than $20,000. I think if it's much above that as great as it may be, it simply won't sell. It could be argued that 96 tracks in a single machine might not be the best configuration, for many two X48's would offer a lot more flexiblity being able to be used as backup to each other. I would also guess that if you are using this number of channels the production probably has enough budget to hire a proper sound truck. It does look incredably cool though.

Regards

Roland
8th November 2007
Old 8th November 2007
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

If the price is right and it sounds and works like it supposed to, I want two of them...

I thought 48 tracks in one box was amazing, but ninety (freakin') six is incredible!

This would workout every well with regard to all the 56 to 72 channel gigs that come our way from time to time.

In most cases there would be plenty of extra tracks for expanded audience mic'ing, stems, stereo mixes, EFX and such if you didn't fill the machine with stage inputs.
8th November 2007
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
I still have a document about X-mac by Sony Oxford;

It's a Cat-6 ethernet connection.
The Tascam X48 has an ethernetconnection too, so if they bought a license that machine could do that too (at max. 48x96khz).

The XL-8 is the first Midas console to support this.

Essentially the unit would be able to record DXD (pcm version of DSD) and DSD.

I suppose this recording unit will be very expensive as the XL-8 is in the 250.000 euro region.

Grab the X-mac brochure http://www.sonyoxford.co.uk/pub/supe...c_brochure.pdf

Muziekschuur

http://www.myspace.com/a-muze#!/556701704
LX3
8th November 2007
Old 8th November 2007
LX3
Lives for gear

I've got a little info for you on this puppy, since I just lost a gig to one!

(Was lined up to record for a DVD this weekend, but just told that the tracking is now going to be done by the touring sound crew on a DN9696. There's a chap from Klark Teknink out on the road with them who is beta-testing the unit).

This info is third-hand, coming from the video director who went to see the band last night, and had to break the bad news So may not be entirely accurate.

* It's interfaced to a Midas XL8 via AES 50, which uses Cat-5. No analog inputs as far as I'm aware (no surprise there).

* 96 tracks of 96k, as you know.

* Records to B-WAV.

* Sounds like it has built-in drive mirroring.

* 5U high.

* Price, supposedly, £16,000. Don't know if that's end-user or dealer.

* Director says it's "Big and white"

I suspect this won't be the first job I lose to a recording system that's integrated with the live sound rig. (In fact, it's already the second - lost one when it turned out the live rig was using a Venue). The guy from KT was most keen to emphasise it's use for "virtual sound checks"... which I guess means they want to pitch it primarily at touring sound companies (to whom sixteen grand isn't that much cash) rather than recording guys like me.

Paul
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search