Subscribe
AnAverageJoe
25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AnAverageJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Get some wires and connectors and start practicing. Solder them up and then unsolder, and then try it again. Watch out for getting connectors too hot and melting plastic.
Unsolder? How do I do that?
AnAverageJoe
25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's like testing Macintoshes against Apples. One is a subset of the other.

Kester is a brand name.

44 is a model number.

Kester 44 solder has a rosin core.

Most Kester 44 solder is 60/40, which means 60% tin and 40% lead. Some is 63/37.
So this is the same as Radioshack's Rosin Core 60/40?
AnAverageJoe
25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
.031 is the thickness.

0.031” (1.00 mm) is the standard thickness (diameter) solder that most people use.

Solder comes in sizes from the thinnest 0.010” (0.25 mm) to the thickest 0.25” (6.00 mm).

0.05 is thicker solder that we used to use in the old days when wires, terminals, and connectors were much larger. Some still use this size or something in between when the job requires it.
Ok Cool Thanks for the help
25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
Runs with scissors

Send a message via Skype™ to tnjazz
25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageJoe View Post
I think I might invest in a station to... I'm trying to look at some good weller stations also some Hakko... Check out the link, I'm looking at the one that costs 93 dollars.

Hakko 936 Soldering Station,821ST612
I can't comment about Hakko products as I've never used them. One feature I really like about my Weller is the digital readout which allows me to set and read the tip temperature. Being able to watch tip temperature fluctuations is a real benefit. Unless your budget is really tight, I'd seriously consider this:

Weller WESD51 Soldering Station

Techni-Tool sells them for $180.75. I think you'd find the extra bucks to be money well spent.

hendo
AnAverageJoe
26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz View Post
Thanks, I'm in school now so I can't view it because of the proxy network. I'll watch it later on this after noon
26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendo View Post
I can't comment about Hakko products as I've never used them. One feature I really like about my Weller is the digital readout which allows me to set and read the tip temperature. Being able to watch tip temperature fluctuations is a real benefit. Unless your budget is really tight, I'd seriously consider this:

Weller WESD51 Soldering Station

Techni-Tool sells them for $180.75. I think you'd find the extra bucks to be money well spent.

hendo
Thanks I can definitely work around this price range, Thanks a lot!
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
So this is the same as Radioshack's Rosin Core 60/40?
I'm sure the soldering purists will insist that a name brand solder like Kester will work better than a generic solder like that found at Radio Shack. The rosin flux, which cleans the joint and makes the solder stick better, might be better in the Kester vs. the Radio Shack. It's even possible that the Radio Shack solder is made by Kester.

I've been soldering for almost 40 years and have used all kinds of solder and soldering irons. I don't see enough difference in solder to keep me from buying it at the Radio Shack down the street. I am a RS stockholder, but that's not why I buy there.

As for soldering irons, the stations mentioned are very nice. I've used a few Weller soldering stations over the years. Having a regulated temperature is nice. That being said, I've been using the same cheapo 40W Radio Shack soldering iron for the last 10 years or so. I'm too cheap to invest in a real soldering station when the cheapo works just fine for me, even though I know that a soldering station would make me a little more productive.
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for Jesus

Im stocking up on the good ole slobber, i wonder if the ROHS will effect us buying real solder in the future

27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Unsolder? How do I do that?
Heat up the soldered joint and then suck the molten solder with a solder sucker.

I have this one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

A cheaper alternative:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

In the old days, we'd heat up the solder and then use a braided cable to suck up the solder. http://www.newark.com/jsp/Tools+&+Pr...jsp?sku=01F196

If it's solder on a connector, I hold the connector with a pair of pliers, heat up the solder, then bang the pliers on something solid with the solder connection pointed down. This forces the molten solder to leave the connector. Watch out for molten solder flying into your eyes, or putting small holes in your clothes.
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Im stocking up on the good ole slobber, i wonder if the ROHS will effect us buying real solder in the future

I'm surprised that we are still allowed to use lead-based solder. Until someone comes up with a viable alternative, we get to handle a known poison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoHS
Scroll down to the "Criticism" section for the basics.

If you want a serious look at non-lead solders and the technical problems associated with them, look at the following document
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/RohsTechManual_v2.pdf
There is a special section about soldering starting at page 14 (PDF page 15).
Non-lead solders require a higher temperature, which can lead to component failure during soldering.

Lead is dangerous, but safe if you follow proper precautions.
Wash your hands thoroughly after touching solder before eating, smoking, or petting the dog.
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Runs with scissors

Quote:
If it's solder on a connector, I hold the connector with a pair of pliers, heat up the solder, then bang the pliers on something solid with the solder connection pointed down. This forces the molten solder to leave the connector. Watch out for molten solder flying into your eyes, or putting small holes in your clothes.
This has been my method so far and I've got the tiny burn holes in everything to prove it.

I think I'm going to look into getting one of those solder sucker things.
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

The best thing about solder suckers, is shootin' those little pieces of solder that have accumulated in the bulb at your friends. Kinda like metallic spitballs.

...My 57 is only a few years old, but I'd like to think that someday my children can pass it down to their children.
Killahurts

...I would much rather tweak a moog than that thing bro...
MYAMS
AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

I guess this thread helped more than one person lol Thanks guys, now after this all I have to do is practice
AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure the soldering purists will insist that a name brand solder like Kester will work better than a generic solder like that found at Radio Shack. The rosin flux, which cleans the joint and makes the solder stick better, might be better in the Kester vs. the Radio Shack. It's even possible that the Radio Shack solder is made by Kester.

I've been soldering for almost 40 years and have used all kinds of solder and soldering irons. I don't see enough difference in solder to keep me from buying it at the Radio Shack down the street. I am a RS stockholder, but that's not why I buy there.

As for soldering irons, the stations mentioned are very nice. I've used a few Weller soldering stations over the years. Having a regulated temperature is nice. That being said, I've been using the same cheapo 40W Radio Shack soldering iron for the last 10 years or so. I'm too cheap to invest in a real soldering station when the cheapo works just fine for me, even though I know that a soldering station would make me a little more productive.
I have the same soldering iron
AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post

Do you think they will? if so I guess I might stock up as well to, Hey we can sell it in the future if that happens lol
AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heat up the soldered joint and then suck the molten solder with a solder sucker.

I have this one:
RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Tools & soldering equipment: Soldering tools & supplies: Vacuum Desoldering Tool

A cheaper alternative:
RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Tools & soldering equipment: Soldering tools & supplies: Desoldering Bulb

In the old days, we'd heat up the solder and then use a braided cable to suck up the solder. 60-BGA-5 | ITW CHEMTRONICS | Tools | Tools & Production Supplies | Newark

I've seen the braids used before. Thanks for the tips and info
AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
The best thing about solder suckers, is shootin' those little pieces of solder that have accumulated in the bulb at your friends. Kinda like metallic spitballs.
LOL is that even safe?
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL is that even safe?
Yeah, because it cools very quickly due to the vacuum of air that surrounds it on the removal.

A $25 solder plunger-type sucker and some braid and you don't need one of the $600 vacuum units. Though they ARE really nice when you're working on console modules or hgh end, solder-waved circuit boards, they aren't needed for cable and connectors!
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
Yeah, because it cools very quickly due to the vacuum of air that surrounds it on the removal.

A $25 solder plunger-type sucker and some braid and you don't need one of the $600 vacuum units. Though they ARE really nice when you're working on console modules or hgh end, solder-waved circuit boards, they aren't needed for cable and connectors!

Hey Jim, do you know how to cook too? Because I very much suspect youre good at everything, and I need to come and be your LIFE intern, much less audio.
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Gear maniac

I just soldered up some new mic cables with different kinds of solder to see if different kinds of solder made a difference in sound quality. Here is what I used:

Radio Shack rosin core 60/40 solder, 0.032” diameter, catalog # 64-009
Kester rosin core 60/40
Kester rosin core 40/60
Kester 96.5/3/0.5 Tin/Silver/Copper, water-soluble, lead-free solder
Peavey Black Widow Solder

I got some musicians and audiophiles over for a double-blind test to see if different kinds of solder sounded different.

I got a male and a female to sing through each of the cables. (Yes, I used a mic at the end of the cable!) The listeners then listened to each and tried to figure out the differences between them.

Most thought that the silver solder had a brighter high end.

Some thought that the unleaded music seemed somewhat lighter than the others.

The Peavey Black Widow had a raw, 1970s kind of sound that was great on the male voice.

The Radio Shack 60/40 was the favorite on the female singer, but some preferred the female voice through the Kester Silver/Copper solder.

Most of the folks thought I was just plain nuts.

Save this part of the thread for April Fools day, ‘cause that’s where it belongs!
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
...Most of the folks thought I was just plain nuts.

Save this part of the thread for April Fools day, ‘cause that’s where it belongs!

Ah, so you're a trickster.
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixAndChange View Post
Hey Jim, do you know how to cook too? Because I very much suspect youre good at everything, and I need to come and be your LIFE intern, much less audio.
Thanks, Six. No, I can't cook. Can't fix a car, as much as THAT disturbs me, since most of them are far easier than a basic DSP algorithm or an analog compressor circuit. Too much I can't do...but I try to understand and have a good knowledge of all things audio. I'm fortunate to have done everything from designing shows on Broadway to doing stadium concerts to mixing live TV broadcasts for over 3 million viewers...all the rest of it falls in between, you know?

A lot of the mensch in me came from inspiration I got from Steve Remote about 15 years ago, who knew SO MUCH about the tiny details- how high you could run a signal into a DA-88 before clipping, why a shock rack would or would not work, when an XLR was single-ended, how a PL line had no sidetone- all as tertiary stuff to his live mixing while I A2'd for him. Once I saw someone who has such incredible knowlegde about the top, middle and bottom end of the audio spectrum, I just started working every day to educate myself and take projects where I had to learn, whether it was using the left over very expensive TV studio digital cable to make my studio snakes, to making d-subs, to repairs on everything from amps to wireless gear. It's a constant process, but I learn every day.

Of course, I make mistakes every day as well...one of the reason this forum is so very fabulous!

Enough of a hijack. I have to go custom wire a PL circuit into an automation console. In the meantime, I get to record a world premiere opera on Saturday! Believe me, the cable will be in good condition!

JvB
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Runs with scissors

Quote:
I just soldered up some new mic cables with different kinds of solder to see if different kinds of solder made a difference in sound quality. Here is what I used:

Kester rosin core 60/40
Kester rosin core 40/60

I got some musicians and audiophiles over for a double-blind test to see if different kinds of solder sounded different.

I got a male and a female to sing through each of the cables. (Yes, I used a mic at the end of the cable!) The listeners then listened to each and tried to figure out the differences between them.

The Peavey Black Widow had a raw, 1970s kind of sound that was great on the male voice.

The Radio Shack 60/40 was the favorite on the female singer, but some preferred the female voice through the Kester Silver/Copper solder.

This post gets my vote for best of the week.

So, has anyone ever actually compared copper and silver cables to see if there really is a difference?

AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post

ok cool, thanks
AnAverageJoe
28th September 2007
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Kester rosin core 60/40
Kester rosin core 40/60

LOL you got me there, I was this close to spreading the news LOL
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search