Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Talking Thoughts on the audio from 9/11 2007 Memorial?

I don't normally do this, but I have a postmortem coming up, so there's an opportunity for improvement.

Anyone who saw the broadcast of the 9/11 Memorial yesterday, I'd like your critique.

I mixed the broadcast pool feed...so I provided all the audio to every network UNLESS it was outside the barricades doing ENG or standups on the East of the WTC site. That means what you saw on the networks or internet of the actual memorial event, from the politicians at the large wooden podiums, to the bands and choirs to the reading of the names and the ringing of the fireman's bell for the moments of silence were down my mix path.

This was my second year doing this event. My biggest issues this year were weather, (rain & lightning) whose moisture created problems on the podium mics and caused me to use fewer audience mics from direct raindrops (even when bagged!); fiber noise on ambient mics in the pit where the reflecting pool was located; and the human X factor- bad mic technique/quiet speaking which resulted in high background noise as well as too much PA in the feed as well as feedback in a place or two.

The FOH mixer for the event is a VERY skilled guy who knows his stuff and had a lot working against him, so let's ignore the feedback -which was outside his realm of control, the pod mics were very well tested and rung out in advance. Critical mics are split, and I take responsibility for my mix.

What thoughts, criticism, and comments might you have to share on this event?

Appreciate it.

Jim
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 15th September 2007
Banned

Sorry, Jim, didn't catch any of it. Is it archived on the web somewhere? If this was an awards show then you would have 6 pages by now.
Old 15th September 2007
Super Moderator

Same here, I didn't get a chance to check it out.

But, what did you think of it?
Did you record a few shows at home?
As you may already know, I have three recorders for that exact thing.
I normally record other folks stuff, but I also record things we're involved in to see where it's at.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Bishop & Remoteness,

Thanks for the replies. I did not record any of it, but it was webcast and broadcast live on every major network, and shows on every newscast- I mixed the pool feed from the memorial that was taken by ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, Reuters, CNN, AP, BCC, plus 27 additional networks internationally not affilliated with any of the majors listed above. I did not record it, I brought two laptops and streamed CNN on one and NBC on the other while our confidence returns shows the five majors (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CNN) as well as NY1 in NY.

My expectation is that it available on every news website, but I have not looked for the content on news sites or YouTube...but I should look for a link people can view.

Ultimately, I'm going to accept this in a positive way, that we Gearslutz are moving forward from sorrow from 9/11 to handle our future and not dwell in the past.

What did I think of it? I wish we had used MK4 capsules instead of MK41s, because the politicians who did not bother to move the mics in place sounded totally off axis to me on the podium mics, whereas when pairs of people read the names of the deceased at the podium they were always right on, almost eating the mics. I captured more rain & thunder than I expected, and I thought the sounds of the drums, choirs, and trumpets were good and clean but a little thinner than I wanted. I was hoping for a little more warmth, and that might have been too much ambiance- but I'm splitting hairs here.

Thanks for your replies!

JvB
Old 16th September 2007
Gear maniac

Jim,
I watched about an hour and a half of the broadcast on TV. I was more emotionally involved with the ceremony than in noticing audio production values. Which is to say, nothing of your work "intruded" or was distracting in any way during the services. That's meant as the highest compliment of your skills.

Thanks for a great job in the face of some obviously difficult conditions.

Rich
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, Rich. it means a lot to me!

It was easier emotionally for me to do...last year was much harder on me. This year, I was ready with the kleenex on the Neve Libre Live II. We've all been doing this memorial for personal reasons, but I'm just trying to constantly improve what I can.

Again, thanks bro. I appreciate your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Jim,
I watched about an hour and a half of the broadcast on TV. I was more emotionally involved with the ceremony than in noticing audio production values. Which is to say, nothing of your work "intruded" or was distracting in any way during the services. That's meant as the highest compliment of your skills.

Thanks for a great job in the face of some obviously difficult conditions.

Rich
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search