New Reply
Subscribe
hrn
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Lives for gear

Question Korg MR-1000 - Noise levels - Line input

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about getting a MR-1000, but the noise levels in the pres seems to be a bit higher than for example the Tascam or the Fostex comparable equals.

My question is: If I use an outboard preamp and line it into the MR-1000, will I get a better noise level then. The level of the outboard pre?

Overall, just thinking about if line inputs are silent enough...

Regards,
Hans
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

The line inputs on the KORG are properly designed and sound excellent.

We are aligning the the machine for -18 dBFS for 0 VU. Headroom is excellent and quality of the input is only determined by your mic amp.

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
We are aligning the the machine for -18 dBFS for 0 VU. Headroom is excellent and quality of the input is only determined by your mic amp.
How are you doing this, BTW?

Also, can you shed some light on that "Gain" switch on the back panel? Is that what switches the inputs from mic to line, or is that something else? Or do you get line input by default when using TRS plugs?

Thanks,
Mike
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear maniac

Setting levels on the MR-1000

With the calibrated tone output on the SoundDevices Mixer I set the tone on the mixer at 0 Vu Analog and correspondingly adjust that level using the input level knobs on the Korg to -20 dBfs. As Plush has reported, this provides adequate headroom for anything from a whisper to a scream.

I have had difficulty calibrating when using the Millenia pres so if anyone has insights on how to do this it would be helpful. The Line input of the Korg does not seem to color the sound in any particular way fwiw.

Baithak
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
How are you doing this, BTW?

Also, can you shed some light on that "Gain" switch on the back panel? Is that what switches the inputs from mic to line, or is that something else? Or do you get line input by default when using TRS plugs?

Thanks,
Mike
For line input, the gain switch should be set to "low." "High" is for a -10 input.

As for aligning the machine, I am speaking of adjusting the front panel gain control on the KORG to show a certain level on the meter when a 0VU tone is fed to the KORG via line in. Start with a -20 or -18 level and see if the program material peaks around -3 to -6. This is adequate headroom and there is no need to jam the level up to zero.

Always maintain adequate headroom and, if needed, just turn up the program material in post.
hrn
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks . What I understand from this is that I can get better noise levels by using an outboard preamp with better specifications and run it into the line input of the Korg.

I know that different mic preamps have different noise levels. But what about different line input stages. Are they something completely different compared to mic preamps? Are different line inputs all the same and dead silent....?

Just want to be able to record in high quality with the Korg using outboard preamps with their quality and noise levels. Don't want anything added.

Regards,
Hans
10th March 2008
Old 10th March 2008
Gear nut

I currently use an Apogee minime for 44khz recordings.
Is this Korg equal or maybe better sounding when the files are converted to 44khz?
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008
Gear interested

korg

I was wondering if you did get the kORG in the end and what it's like.
Cheers, Yair
hrn
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008
Lives for gear

Yair,
Yes, I bought one last fall and I'm VERY happy with it. I use it with my Marenius preamp but the onboard preamps are good too.

It's difficult to describe sound quality. The first thing I was thinking when I heard my first recording was "This is not the typical pickaxed digital sound", so clean and three dimensional. That's why you often can read about comparisons with analog recorders.

Even when converted to 44.1/16 the quality is there. Hopefully we can expect DVD music players and a market for DSD.

........But it seems like mp3 is the thing...

HR
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn View Post
Even when converted to 44.1/16 the quality is there.
Fascinating. If that's true, it's not the larger bandwidth (hence better time resolution) nor the increased dynamic range (lower noise floor) of DSD compared to 16/44.1 audio that's responsible for differences between the formats.
I remain curious about what aspect of DSD makes it so appealing to some listeners ?
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
I remain curious about what aspect of DSD makes it so appealing to some listeners ?
For me it's subjective and simple. DSD, or rather the Korg implementation of it, just sounds smoother than other digital schemes I'm used to. It has a very "analog" quality, and is very pleasing. This is my opinion, now - not gospel by any means.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search