Tags: , , ,

Recommend me a clip-on mic for clasical Guitar
gsilbers
15th April 2007
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

Question Recommend me a clip-on mic for clasical Guitar

do u know these mics? they are small and sometimes comes in condenser flavor.
but not the pick up kind that mounts on (which are usually for steel string)

I'm looking for a low-end solution.

thanks
gsilbers
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Gear Guru

I tried using a contact mic that affixed with putty... the feedback problem was fairly intense. I'm sure there are better solutions than the one I came up with.

That's not much info; but at least it's a bump for your thread.
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

The DPA 4060 is quite remarkable on nylon string guitar. When I bought 3 of them a few years back, they were about $300ea. I know they've gone up since, but still won't break the bank.

Scott
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Gear addict

I like the DPA 4061
gsilbers
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

doesnt AKG make some similar ones?
18th April 2007
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

The Audiotechnica AT831B has a special felt clip to mount onto the soundhole. I just tried it out on my classical. The lo cut needs to be enabled (nice that it has one). There can be a lot of handling noise, so you need to have good technique that way. It also can go over easily so you need a limiter or something unless your control is superb.

It ends up quite scooped...lots of highs and lows. However, it kicks the pus out of piezo. An almost crystalline top end. Good tone for flamenco. You might mix with a 57 to give it some mid body.

Out of what I have lying around here, the Neumann KM184 worked really well on this particular spruce/mahogany. Well enough to give me renewed respect for that mic. It's a classic sound for it. The MA-200 was crisper and more present but you don't really want crispness in classical guitar, you want a nice roundness. Although if I need a classical to cut through a pop mix I'm reaching for the MA-200.

And lowend guys, my stock Apex 460 did a very respectable job!
gsilbers
16th August 2007
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The Audiotechnica AT831B has a special felt clip to mount onto the soundhole. I just tried it out on my classical. The lo cut needs to be enabled (nice that it has one). There can be a lot of handling noise, so you need to have good technique that way. It also can go over easily so you need a limiter or something unless your control is superb.

It ends up quite scooped...lots of highs and lows. However, it kicks the pus out of piezo. An almost crystalline top end. Good tone for flamenco. You might mix with a 57 to give it some mid body.

Out of what I have lying around here, the Neumann KM184 worked really well on this particular spruce/mahogany. Well enough to give me renewed respect for that mic. It's a classic sound for it. The MA-200 was crisper and more present but you don't really want crispness in classical guitar, you want a nice roundness. Although if I need a classical to cut through a pop mix I'm reaching for the MA-200.

And lowend guys, my stock Apex 460 did a very respectable job!
thanks for the info.

the apex 460? really ?!! for clasical/acustic guitar?

without the mod right?

i was following the threads on it. specially the locked one about the 460 being the same as the telefunken m16 mk1

but the mod for the apex would end up in a price range that i would buy something else.

right now i have the AKG 2000b so the aphex 460 would be a side step instead of a step up. hmm, well for looks its a step up. but in sound quality seems its not so good... but i havent heard one so i could not really be sure.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search