any of you experienced guys help a younger brother out
Old 9th December 2006
Gear interested

any of you experienced guys help a younger brother out

i've been looking around to get a producer setup going, but there are just too many options.i need some help please.

first of all would you suggest going for the turntables or sampler approach. i don't know which one to rather go with, or which program or make of sampler to go with.

i was thinking of getting the m-audio trigger finger,but the akai seems more universal, but the m-audio seems more new age and simpler of the two.

next i thought of getting cubase 3, seeing as though cubase 4 and all the others seems so much more for the same thing, but still i'm new, so what would be the best for hip hop production.

next i wanted to know if running a turntable and cd player would work or if i should just stick to either two turntables or two cd players.

for getting the sound into my laptop what do you suggest i get, as there are so many options or do you just suggest getting a standalone mixer for the sampler, mics and turntables plugged into a scratch mixer, or is there a better way of running it all into my computer.

you see i'm quite confused with all the nonsense advertising and all i want is a basic hip hop setup to get me set. i'm not out of school yet, but i want to set my career up early to have a headstart in the field, so any advice from you experienced guys would really help alot.

whyterob
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

First question we need answered is: What type of music do you want to produce? Whether you want to make sample based hip hop or keyboard based - ie. Southern rap - makes a difference. Also, let us know your budget range.
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyterob View Post
i want to set my career up
What career? Engineer? Producer? Programmer? Rapper? Multi talented genius?
Old 10th December 2006
Gear interested

my bad

sorry guys for being so rough around the edges.

ok so what i was asking for was a setup for producing my own rhymes, i've been concerntrating on my song writing, but now i want to be able to lace my lyrics with some beats. i don't quite know how to describe the type of music i would be producing as although cliché i think it's unique. i'm from south africa, so it's a mix of both states rap and kwaito (the rap native to south africa), so all i was really looking for was a really basic setup.

i hate to be so rough but all i wanted to do was get the basics of producing a simple song with equipment right before going into a certain field.
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Well do you have a pretty up to date computer? If so u could get a midi controller, like a M-Audio Axiom. It has pads and keys for cheap, but u also need to pair that with some software. For basics try Reason or Fruity Loop. Or u could download demo versions of different software and try it out and what u like u can buy. Cubase is cool. U would need an audio interface and some speakers. Hook it up and try the setup out. Once u get more familiar with what u are trying to do, u will know what stuff to get. Are u trying to make sample based beats? I was thinking about the same situation with turntables, so I read up on it and decided first to go vinyl, then to go pioneer cdj's, then I decided to go with software and midi controllers. I still haven't made a purchase and I'm constantly changing my mind. Just find ur preference and ur budget and see what u can do with what u have. Start slow and think everything completely thru. I write everything I want to purchase down and next to it I put its usefulness and crossreference it with stuff I already have to make sure I don't have too many crossovers in what my products do. I don't have much yet anyway so I'm still building. Good luck.
Old 10th December 2006
Gear interested

word i feel u

word jikkyboy, i feel you.

i've been looking around at zzsounds, not to buy, just to research. i think i'm gonna go with cubase 3, (cubase 4 seems way over priced to a newbie like me). then the m-audio trigger finger seems good as a sampler. for the keyboard i was thinking of the 25 key m-audio oxygen 2 instead of the axiom, because the pads on the axiom aren't as good as those on the trigger finger.

the next thing i'm not sure about getting is a stand alone mixer.

should i get the xenyx 1204fx behringer or should i get one of those ones to control cubase from like a mackie, only a cheaper version.

what do you guys think and which mixer should i get??
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Go Cubase or Sonar, whichever is cheaper. They'll both do everything you need. You don't need a standalone mixer - you can mix everything in your DAW (digital audio workstation, ie. Cubase or Sonar).
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
word jikkyboy, i feel you.

i've been looking around at zzsounds, not to buy, just to research. i think i'm gonna go with cubase 3, (cubase 4 seems way over priced to a newbie like me). then the m-audio trigger finger seems good as a sampler. for the keyboard i was thinking of the 25 key m-audio oxygen 2 instead of the axiom, because the pads on the axiom aren't as good as those on the trigger finger.

the next thing i'm not sure about getting is a stand alone mixer.

should i get the xenyx 1204fx behringer or should i get one of those ones to control cubase from like a mackie, only a cheaper version.

what do you guys think and which mixer should i get??

Well I got the axiom 61 key because I'm learning to play the keyboard and it has knobs and faders. The trigger finger is only a midi controller, but it can be used within software as a sampler. I have no experience with the oxygen but I guess it would be kool. U might wanna look into a control surface. I have a tascam 1082 that I use as a control surface. Its also an audio interface, but I'm looking at getting a fireface 400 in the future and just using the tascam as a control surface. U have a few options in that category so just look within your budget. Going software does have disadvantages. Do you plan on mixing your music too? If so you're going into a new field of possible expenses. I personally drop beats and go to another studio to do the vocals. I'm in the process of getting a mic/preamp, but I still have to get it to give me a quality sound so I'm going to practice recording and mixing vocals with local ppl that I work with. This takes time and doesnt come over night.
Old 10th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
m-audio trigger finger seems good as a sampler.

dont get the trigger finger, get the AKAI MPD24 it has the same pads used in the MPC 2000 <--(i think it was that). and its way sturdier and the same price. Peace
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

i heard an akai rep saying the mpd24 has the same pads as the mpc2500.
Old 11th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
i heard an akai rep saying the mpd24 has the same pads as the mpc2500.
even better then. thanks man Peace
Old 11th December 2006
Gear interested

yeah bjcistok, i checked out that akai, seems more universal and fits in better with more programs than the m-audio thanks alot, i knew akai was good with this stuff, they just look so old school, but if they produce the goods, then i'm happy.
Old 11th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry guys for being so rough around the edges.
All good, no problem!

Quote:
ok so what i was asking for was a setup for producing my own rhymes, i've been concerntrating on my song writing, but now i want to be able to lace my lyrics with some beats.
In my honest opinion, you are better off finding a producer / studio / DJ to do the beats, and you should concentrate on doing the lyrics and raps (if you are good at this). Everyone and their mom does beats, and it's just gonna take you years and loads of cash to figure it out, by which time you will have forgotten about being a singer and writer...

Maybe.
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
All good, no problem!

In my honest opinion, you are better off finding a producer / studio / DJ to do the beats, and you should concentrate on doing the lyrics and raps (if you are good at this). Everyone and their mom does beats, and it's just gonna take you years and loads of cash to figure it out, by which time you will have forgotten about being a singer and writer...

Maybe.
I concur.... Now I'm off to find paper and a pen.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search