New Reply
Subscribe
dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Gear nut

Cubase 4

Hi all,

this weekend I installed the new cubase 4 and I must say I am impressed. Compared to the change from sx2 to sx3 and even worse sx to sx2, it went very smooth. And they have improved the software a lot! But let me tell you from the beginning...

Of course the first thing that bugged me with the new Cubase was the copy protection. I do not have Internet connection in my studio so I had to drive to the studio to get the dongle, drive home to update the licences on my dongle and drive back to the studio. Another 45min of my time that I should write Steinberg a bill for. The guys who steal the software do not have this problem, but I who spent that much money am punished... I will never understand this philosophy.)

Anyway, apart from my MOTU Symphonic Instrument (which is probably not very well programmed) all my VSTis (and I have quite some) work in Cubase4. When I loaded a recent premix done in SX3 it sounded very bad and small at first until I found out that they do not have the double delay plugin anymore in Cubase4 of course there are new delay plugins, but I would have liked the double delay for compatibility.

The new features of Cubase4 are great!!!! First thing I noticed was that you can now change the order of the inserts in a channel and even move or copy different inserts from one channel to another. I have been waiting for this a long time. The mixer has become much easier to organize since you can now hide several channels at once. But my personal favourite is the new VSTi rack. Now when you open a VSTi with several outputs (e.g. Kontakt) you get only one stereo output in the mixer. But in the rack you have a button with which you can switch on or off the different outputs of the instrument. So if you do not need the channels, they do not clutter your mixer (so far I had to hide all the outputs separately). I have the feeling that the guys at steinberg finally listen to the users! Great work.

The new Cubase also includes some new synths and a sampleplayer with the content of the Yamaha motif. I have not used it so far but we'll see...

The new channel EQ is much better than the old one (I did not use the old EQ at all, it seems I can use the new one at least for hi pass and lo pass and maybe even some subtractive shelving). But I have to do a more detailed shootout to say more. The same goes for the new compressor. It seems to work almost inaudibly, which is a good thing for some jobs. (There is also a "vintage compressor" which I do not like so far... hopeless against a real LA2A or even my UAD). A very cool new plugin is the transient designer. Instant punch for kicks and snares although it is not very flexible, it will still reduce the use of my hardware unit considerably....

So far I am pretty happy with the new DAW and I will even use it for my new project today...

best
Dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

You sound like your on the Mac No?

Cause you left out the DX blunder.
www.basejase.com
dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
You sound like your on the Mac No?

Cause you left out the DX blunder.
No I'am on XP... I do not think I have any direct x only... plugins - do you?

best
Dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Talk about that double delay plugin more? I wonder how you utilized it in SX3. I have not used it, and I'd like to try it out. Any tips on how you use it?
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Talk about that double delay plugin more? I wonder how you utilized it in SX3. I have not used it, and I'd like to try it out. Any tips on how you use it?
Hi Meth,

Do not get me wrong it's not my main delay but I still use it often! 1. I use it for very short stereo delays (Haas effect) sometimes, you have to tune the delay times to the source (say between 5ms and 15ms with different delay times). Can make a synth signal stand out and become very three dimensional.

Or the standard way in a FXChannel with an EQ behind it, left echo at 1/16th, right echo at 1/8th, pan L around nine o'clock, R about three o'clock, feedback depending on the song. If you have a hardware comp, you can comp this channel with a sidechain from the actual source so the delay in the end of a phrase will be louder/ more audible. (Or inthebox just automate the gain respectively) I like the combination of this delay with an eq somtimes better than the usual filter in the feedback loop. This way the delays stay clear even after the third repeat as opposted to becomming duller and duller.

best
Dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dussel View Post
Hi Meth,

Do not get me wrong it's not my main delay but I still use it often! 1. I use it for very short stereo delays (Haas effect) sometimes, you have to tune the delay times to the source (say between 5ms and 15ms with different delay times). Can make a synth signal stand out and become very three dimensional.

Or the standard way in a FXChannel with an EQ behind it, left echo at 1/16th, right echo at 1/8th, pan L around nine o'clock, R about three o'clock, feedback depending on the song. If you have a hardware comp, you can comp this channel with a sidechain from the actual source so the delay in the end of a phrase will be louder/ more audible. (Or inthebox just automate the gain respectively) I like the combination of this delay with an eq somtimes better than the usual filter in the feedback loop. This way the delays stay clear even after the third repeat as opposted to becomming duller and duller.

best
Dussel

yes..this is perfect timing. im mixing down a song with a shitload of synths and a guitar lead line (M83 type guitar) and I have been running through delays to use to 3d it up. im using the Kjaeurhus classic for vocals and wanted a different flavor for my synths. im going to try sending the synths and guitars into this delay and see how it sounds. thanks!
dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
yes..this is perfect timing. im mixing down a song with a shitload of synths and a guitar lead line (M83 type guitar) and I have been running through delays to use to 3d it up. im using the Kjaeurhus classic for vocals and wanted a different flavor for my synths. im going to try sending the synths and guitars into this delay and see how it sounds. thanks!
good luck...

best
Dussel
27th November 2006
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the report.
Though Yamaha is their parent compan, we still can't upgrade to C4 in Japan...aaggrh!
Can't wait!
dussel
1st December 2006
Old 1st December 2006
Gear nut

Ok, I stand corrected - you can actually install the double delay plugin from a old plugins folder on the cd...

nice to know.

best
Dussel
1st December 2006
Old 1st December 2006
Gear addict

Ordered my upgrade from Arbiter on Tuesday,hopefully get it today or tommorow.

I,ve been on 1.06 for 3 years so it,ll be a major difference and i,ll finally have pdc instead of adjusting all my uad tracks by hand.
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your Wife, family and posessions including any audio equipment you may own becoming the property of funkynuts.
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

would i be able to sequence using my mpc with different vst's with the new cubase........because i think sample tank is the only daw that can do it like that??????
dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by japspecvr6 View Post
would i be able to sequence using my mpc with different vst's with the new cubase........because i think sample tank is the only daw that can do it like that??????

well I did that on different older versions of cubase, no problem - so I guess it is possible with the new one too. Btw. as far as I know sample tank is not a DAW but yust a VSTi - maybe I am wrong though.

best
Dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear nut

Did they make sidechaining easier in this version? Cause if they did I'm on it.
dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillz24 View Post
Did they make sidechaining easier in this version? Cause if they did I'm on it.
No not yet... they promised it for the first major Update - a bit lame if you ask me.

Dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
sidechaining is implemented into this new VST 3 standard.
now the plugin developer have only to programe their plugins for it.
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dussel View Post
No I'am on XP... I do not think I have any direct x only... plugins - do you?

best
Dussel

Timeworks Plugins.!!!!!
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Dussel, that double delay plug is incredible. For me, thats the delay plug I have been wanting for the longest time, and it was right under my nose. So good call man! Im sending synths, guitars and vocals to it, and it makes a huge difference on the song im doing.

Once VST 3 is implemented and true sidechaining is in C4, im buying it. Until then, im sticking with SX3.
dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Dussel, that double delay plug is incredible. For me, thats the delay plug I have been wanting for the longest time, and it was right under my nose. So good call man! Im sending synths, guitars and vocals to it, and it makes a huge difference on the song im doing.
It's funny, I think the interface prevents people from using it... I had some trouble at first, but now I use it quite often...

best
Dussel
dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
sidechaining is implemented into this new VST 3 standard.
now the plugin developer have only to programe their plugins for it.
Well, as far as I know the new Steinberg Plugins like the new channel compressor are VST3 but Steinberg did not implement the sidechain yet because their first approach was too buggy to put in the release.

Dussel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
yes, this is what i have HEARED, too.
that there almost no plugins yet with sidechaining.
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to CareerTech1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
Thanks for the report.
Though Yamaha is their parent compan, we still can't upgrade to C4 in Japan...aaggrh!
Can't wait!
I'm sure someone could get the C4 upgrade for you and ship it to you.

:-)

[raises hand]
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear addict

This sidechaining problem is something i just can,t understand.

I own the TC native bundle which contains a seperate sidechainer plug which can then be used to key the compressor in the bundle.

It works well but unfortunately the compressor isn,t that great especially when compared to modern plugs like urs/sonalksis or stuff by UA .

If TC could do it 3 years ago why can,t Steinberg and other developers do it now?
AON
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
AON
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by japspecvr6 View Post
I figured out how to do it... read the midi devices and features pdf. Cubase SX3.
dussel
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynuts View Post
This sidechaining problem is something i just can,t understand.

I own the TC native bundle which contains a seperate sidechainer plug which can then be used to key the compressor in the bundle.

It works well but unfortunately the compressor isn,t that great especially when compared to modern plugs like urs/sonalksis or stuff by UA .

If TC could do it 3 years ago why can,t Steinberg and other developers do it now?
Apparently they can, but it's still too buggy :-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search