For You Reason Users
New Reply
Subscribe
khameln
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

For You Reason Users

Does anybody else wish they could use the RV7000 outside of reason? I was sleeping on it bigtime because I thought "it's just a module in reason", until I started playing with it... This thing works magic on my drums, and I prever it to RVerb for a number of applications.

Just annoyed that I can't use this thing as a plugin outside of reason. I guess I understand propellerhead's reasoning for not allowing audio input into reason, but it would be amazing :(

I'm starting to find more uses for the scream4 too... I remember when I first got the program I was like "distortion.. That's for those rock/glitch/industrial cats, I don't need that". But now I've found so many subtle applications from adding knock to drums to fake-amping pianos and guitars, and adding a bit of punch to basses. But I can't use it outside the program! Driving me nuts.

Is it just me, or is anybody else feeling this?
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

I've never figured out how to use the FX in reason? Would you mind telling me how to set up the sends, etc., in Reason? Does Reason have an input audio option at all that you could use to do what you want?
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Gear Head

rv7000 is nice! one thing i hate about it, is that if i set reverb to start immediately, its still gonna come in a milliseconds later than sample :(
scream4 is ill!
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to brian_delizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
I've never figured out how to use the FX in reason? Would you mind telling me how to set up the sends, etc., in Reason? Does Reason have an input audio option at all that you could use to do what you want?
Set up a mixer and hook up the effects to aux sends (reverbs, delays).

If you want to insert them into the signal path just cable them in. (EQ, compression)

Reason does not have audio input (weak....)
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza View Post
Set up a mixer and hook up the effects to aux sends (reverbs, delays).

If you want to insert them into the signal path just cable them in. (EQ, compression)

Reason does not have audio input (weak....)
I believe it will automatically assign the effect to the next availible aux input on the vitual mixer, but hitting tab makes those cool ass cable effects. Dont know if Id wanna use reason for tracking anyway....I personally think the effects sound ok. If you start to compare them with altiverb or a lexicon reverb (or even d-verb for that matter), they miss the mark tho. And for distorted amp modeling, amplitude ,sansamp, or amp farm are waaaaaaay phatter. Try composing in reason then dumping all yer track parts into PT or cubase and mix,track edit there. Just keep it dry til its in a serious multitrack program.
Reason is a great tool, IMO

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post

Is it just me, or is anybody else feeling this?
im right there with ya buddy. probably two of my favorite effects units period and i cant use either of them outside of reason

"i have extra money and i have two chances, the first is ****ing strippers women, in an incredible party, and the other is get a lachapell preamp... " -a gearslut
12th November 2006
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Try composing in reason then dumping all yer track parts into PT or cubase and mix,track edit there. Just keep it dry til its in a serious multitrack program.
Reason is a great tool, IMO
I couldn't agree more. I don't use reason much anymore, but when I did I would just export each track or rewire it into another application. I don't really recommend mixing in reason, and I personally found that I got much better results using DAWS.
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
im right there with ya buddy. probably two of my favorite effects units period and i cant use either of them outside of reason
I think I'd like them A LOT more if I could use them as RTAS. I was werkin on some hook arrangements in reason last night and played around with the verb for a second...its reeaaalll cool, its just the whole output imaging of reason leaves me bored
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Gear addict

you can process external audio in reason... its a pain in the ass, but its doable, however not in realtime... the redrum plays wav files.. so if you set the length of the pattern to 64 steps, you have a 4 bar phrase, its tedious, but it is possible..
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via Yahoo to lampmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza View Post
I don't really recommend mixing in reason, and I personally found that I got much better results using DAWS.
I thought the same until I tried using each Reason mixer channel for just one signal; i.e., use 2 channels for stereo and pan hard L + R. Far, far better headroom and overall sound. Give it a try.

Dave.
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisWu View Post
you can process external audio in reason... its a pain in the ass, but its doable, however not in realtime... the redrum plays wav files.. so if you set the length of the pattern to 64 steps, you have a 4 bar phrase, its tedious, but it is possible..
Wouldn't it be easier to use the NNXT in this manner. It accepts .wav as well as .aiff files as far as i Know. Just pencil in a note in the arrange window that holds long enough for the whole 'sample' to play and add effects to that.

Never actually tried this, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work...

Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well-fed.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to use the NNXT in this manner. It accepts .wav as well as .aiff files as far as i Know. Just pencil in a note in the arrange window that holds long enough for the whole 'sample' to play and add effects to that.

Never actually tried this, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work...
Yes you can, you can also use dr rex if you really want to, but there is no way in reason to easily and conveniently process audio from another source.
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

in rewire mode with sonar usually try to bypass the mixer altogether for the main instruments, send them all separate thru the separate outs.... i just use it when i want a synced reason delay or something like that... then the mixing happens within sonar and not reason...

some people i know only use reason tracks after they've been warmed up by a cool analog processor... i''ve been using the waves ssl bus comp for that ITB...

it's funny how some people never pressed the tab key at all in reason... if that's the case.. try it, you will find a new world waiting for you...
13th November 2006
Old 13th November 2006
Gear addict

I use Redrum to trigger .WAV files if I want to use the effects on Reason (which I never do).
khameln
14th November 2006
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, missing the point though, which was that I AM mixing in another host through rewire, which is the whole reason why I wish I could use the RV7000 (and lately the Scream 4) outside of Reason

Not saying these units are better than any other on the market, but you know how you always have those couple pieces of gear that are just right for a particular task?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search