Diddy to mix Rick Ross' new album…
Old 12th January 2014
Gear interested

Diddy to mix Rick Ross' new album…

So I just read that Diddy is mixing the whole upcoming Rick Ross 'Mastermind' album… I'm completely on the fence as to how I feel about this, but what do you guys think about it?
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticAudio View Post
So I just read that Diddy is mixing the whole upcoming Rick Ross 'Mastermind' album… I'm completely on the fence as to how I feel about this, but what do you guys think about it?
Diddy or his engineers?
Old 12th January 2014
Gear interested

Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

lol, yeah right

as long as diddy been in the music business i still think the most he can do in a studio is hit the talkback button and turn the volume knob up and down

of course thats just an assumption though on my part
Old 12th January 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
lol, yeah right

as long as diddy been in the music business i still think the most he can do in a studio is hit the talkback button and turn the volume knob up and down

of course thats just an assumption though on my part
Yeah, that's what I've always thought.

In all honesty, I have no idea why, of all the mix engineers out there, Rick Ross (or the label) chose Diddy… :face palm:

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the album ends up like…
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

You guys have to be kidding yourselves to think that Diddy hasn't learned more than a few things. I tend to hear about people respecting his ears team that with a team of engineers to do the manual labor and you have a valid Diddy mix
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
You guys have to be kidding yourselves to think that Diddy hasn't learned more than a few things. I tend to hear about people respecting his ears team that with a team of engineers to do the manual labor and you have a valid Diddy mix
Yup most techs do the work anyway, diddy will do what he always done. Give orders! Besides he's very smart, and amateur ears can here some things(depending on the person.

But he's no amateur, he's in his mid 40's I'm sure he's learn a shit load by now.

Dont forget he pushed everyone around him to make his money, so he's the best at making choices, thats what mixes is.
Old 12th January 2014
Gear maniac

The record will be fine.
Old 12th January 2014
Brb
Gear addict

LMAOOOOO I wanna hear this
Old 12th January 2014
Gear interested

I've got no doubt about it that he's learnt a few things during his career; but I wouldn't exactly put him up to mixing an album. Produce an album? Yeah. But probably not mix.

Needless to say that I'm still on the fence as to how I think it's going to sound.
Old 12th January 2014
Gear addict

I hate diddys attitude, his beats and he put cancer in 90s hip hop with his shitty looped pop songs, but i think he will have great mixing engineers beside him and thats why the record will sound awesome. And come on guys, he didnt master it, he just mixed the synth fl studio beats.
Old 12th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine View Post
I hate diddys attitude, his beats and he put cancer in 90s hip hop with his shitty looped pop songs, but i think he will have great mixing engineers beside him and thats why the record will sound awesome. And come on guys, he didnt master it, he just mixed the synth fl studio beats.
It is easy to say that about Puff because of the shiny suit Mase era but it would be unfair to not include Craig Mack, Biggie, Black Rob, and G Dep when speaking of his contributions to hip hop. Maybe he isn't actually making the beats or mixing but he had vision. Btw listen to Bad Boys for Life. Yes it is a Megahertz beat, but listen to how ill and off beat it is. Then, remember Puff had to decide it was hit material and put his money and promo behind it. That's hip hop at its finest especially for the period. And... We can say that about Flava in your ear, Benjamin's, Woah, and any number of Biggie songs
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funzo View Post
It is easy to say that about Puff because of the shiny suit Mase era but it would be unfair to not include Craig Mack, Biggie, Black Rob, and G Dep when speaking of his contributions to hip hop. Maybe he isn't actually making the beats or mixing but he had vision. Btw listen to Bad Boys for Life. Yes it is a Megahertz beat, but listen to how ill and off beat it is. Then, remember Puff had to decide it was hit material and put his money and promo behind it. That's hip hop at its finest especially for the period. And... We can say that about Flava in your ear, Benjamin's, Woah, and any number of Biggie songs
I think puff directed jodeci 'cry for you' video. So he has always been into doing different things.
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

sounds like a marketing ploy. Sucks some poor schlep is going to do all the work and get no credit.
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Diddy is an engineer now?
Old 12th January 2014
Gear interested

I think they meant 'Produces' ... Diddy is extremely talented, and while I may not agree with some of his musical endeavors, I have to respect the man. Those trying to tarnish his legacy were probably in diapers during the golden era, and are ignorant to his contribution to HIP-Hop, R&B, and Dancehall....
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
Diddy is an engineer now?
Yeah, why not. Is engineering really that hard anymore?
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

I was under the impression that puff was mixing a fair amount of bad boy stuff back in their golden era, no? I haven't looked thru cd inserts in a while but I'm sure he's mixed some biggie and mase as well as Lox and his solo stuff.

Of course the chorus of "puff just eq'ed the kick" is sure to come now. Puff used to do it all! Mix, produce, markets, a&r, artist developments etc..
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
I was under the impression that puff was mixing a fair amount of bad boy stuff back in their golden era, no? I haven't looked thru cd inserts in a while but I'm sure he's mixed some biggie and mase as well as Lox and his solo stuff.

Of course the chorus of "puff just eq'ed the kick" is sure to come now. Puff used to do it all! Mix, produce, markets, a&r, artist developments etc..
not really. Tony Maserat?? Prince Alexander? Duro? many others.
Old 13th January 2014
Gear maniac

Not a fan of Puff Daddy myself, but the man has to get respect for his work with Biggie, no matter how it turned out in the end. Arguably the greatest MC ever, and it's possible that we wouldn't know who he is without Sean Puffy Combs.
Now- Ross gets a lot of heat for his previous career choice, but again a monster in his genre. Lyrically, I don't know.. Sonically dude has one of the best voices in the genre as well as great sounding beats. I'd put "I'm Not A Star" up against anything in the genre... He, like P Diddy, has built a very successful brand... When you hear the "maybach music" tag, you recognize the brand immediately and they always deliver.
They'll be fine
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Puff won't be there just mixing. He will be there to make a lot of critical decisions
about production, arrangement, also last minute tweaks. Don't inderestimate the man, he knows a lot.
Old 13th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
sounds like a marketing ploy. Sucks some poor schlep is going to do all the work and get no credit.
Exactly what I thought.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Rick Ross' team makes fire beats.
Old 13th January 2014
RRL
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
cmon man hahah. this is a guy that has publicy said in interviews, "i don't know how to make beats or work this equipment, i just know what sounds good". diddy is gonna write the checks and put his name in the credits. he's one of the richest no talent having dude in the business. and no i'm not "hating"(i know u young guys like to throw that word around) but i'm quite sure this guy couldn't even eq a snare on his own if he had to. yeah, puffy knows a lot about writing checks.. but i'll tell u this, i'd pay good money to actually see him mix a song. and i'm being serious.
Old 13th January 2014
Gear addict

Mix, as in tell the engineer to turn the kick up, make the high hat sparkle etc, I'd assume.
I don't see Diddy making mult parallel buses and flanged pre delayed reverb chains.

But you never know!
Old 13th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Yeah, why not. Is engineering really that hard anymore?
To do it well? Yep.

But as stated...PD won't be touching faders, setting compressors etc if this rumour is indeed true.

He'll be directing the mix whilst someone else does the tech stuff.

Fair enough - but that's co-mixing, not a sole mixing credit.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm sure that he has already had a hand in some of Ross' recent releases. He's been on Ross' team for a couple of years already. Keep in mind that Diddy has been looking for another "Biggie" ever since... Did you think that he wouldn't find a way to get to Ross? Come to think of it...that "Maybach Music" tag didn't come on the scene until Diddy did. Now, in no way am I equating Rick Ross to B.I.G. However, he may just be to this generation what Biggie was to mine.
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticAudio View Post

Diddy has an incredible ear. Listen to his last album " The Last Train to Paris. Go to YouTube, check him out directing the mix with Pensado's right hand man Jaycen Joshua. Joshua said it took them 2 years to mix one song.
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
exactly
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post

"puff just eq'ed the kick"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search