engineers don't get respect in Hip-Hop?
New Reply
Subscribe
19th December 2013
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
And for whatever reason, this type of behavior only seems to occur in hip hop.
I think the reason is pretty obvious. Hiphop lacks musicianship and practice regimen like artists in other genres which is exactly why the guitarist nailed his stuff and meanwhile in rapland dudes can't even TALK (rap) their song in one take.

This is coming from a rapper.
FyLe ForMatz
19th December 2013
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
the OP is waaay too preoccupied with engineers, and what they do
i think the only reason for that is because that's my biggest issue; my mixes.

if i had a problem making beats or writing lyrics, then that would be my focal point.
FyLe ForMatz
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
imagine if 36 Chambers were made today, by the A-Listers whose names seem to populate the liner notes of damn near every pop rap record these days. All that grit and attitude gone. Polished clean, made safe. It would be so much less of an artistic statement. So much less impactful. It might sound great, as many contemporary pop rap records do, but it might also be stripped of a great deal of musical and emotional depth and meaning.
that's actually a really dope point, man.
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

someone teach this noob how to multi quote.... if this thread wasn't already filled with enough struggle....
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
No worries on the long winded thing, I like learning from people and there experiences more then reading dry books on etiquette, protocol, and technique. simply because I believe all that is variable and situational. Not saying that doesn't help though cuz it does. I also struggle with the math of things so that stuff slows me down most of the time as well.

ok, i think i get it, the most important step after writing and performance is whatever it takes to best capture that, regardless if its one mic or 50 hours mixing? sorry it was kind of a broad question with a shit ton of variables but Im learning as I go. Thanks
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyLe ForMatz View Post
i think the only reason for that is because that's my biggest issue; my mixes.

if i had a problem making beats or writing lyrics, then that would be my focal point.
Yeah! That's what I've been trying to say this whole time!!
21st December 2013
Old 21st December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toxic View Post

I have to say in general though that I believe hip-hop is relatively easier to mix than a good amount of other genres.
Like what one guy said, I think it is different.

The easy part of hip hop is that usually Live drums aren't recorded which would be the hard thing to mix in other more live genres.

Also if you are doing sample based tracks, the mixing process would be a bit easier (especially if the sample was mixed greatly from the start).

But I think the modern loud and layered sound can be a bit difficult. That said it is very easy to achieve a loud and layered sound but a loud and layered sound that sounds pleasant to the ears at loud levels is not that easy.
23rd December 2013
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrimes11 View Post
Like what one guy said, I think it is different.

The easy part of hip hop is that usually Live drums aren't recorded which would be the hard thing to mix in other more live genres.

Also if you are doing sample based tracks, the mixing process would be a bit easier (especially if the sample was mixed greatly from the start).

But I think the modern loud and layered sound can be a bit difficult. That said it is very easy to achieve a loud and layered sound but a loud and layered sound that sounds pleasant to the ears at loud levels is not that easy.
Mixing has definitely gotten more difficult in hiphop. A lot of artists aren't doing oldschool Boom Bap with a kick, hihat, snare and a catch sample or two. What you have a lot more of is tracks with full symphonic arrangements with multi layered synthesizers, several different kicks, snares, hihats, claps, and artists multi layering rap and singing vocals. With all these elements fighting to be heard CLEANLY and the current state of the loudness wars mixing a hiphop song is just as challenging as any other genre now.

As a beatmaker in a city not commonly known for great hiphop I learned engineering because there aren't a lot of competent studios where that's likely to be mixed creatively and artistically.
I feel like hiphop has evolved so much that the old terms aren't accurate anymore, nor the attitudes.

Couple of months ago I recorded an artists over Wu-Tang's "CREAM" beat.
Mixing was so simple I can see why engineers weren't considered a critical piece to the puzzle originally.
23rd December 2013
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
Mixing was so simple I can see why engineers weren't considered a critical piece to the puzzle originally.
idk about that....i mean, you mixed vocals over an instrumental...which is basically just half the job.
Dor
24th December 2013
Old 24th December 2013
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
Because audio engineers are geeks/nerds. Nuff said.

D
26th December 2013
Old 26th December 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
idk about that....i mean, you mixed vocals over an instrumental...which is basically just half the job.
That was the point he was making - reread what he wrote.
FyLe ForMatz
26th December 2013
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas heat View Post
Thing is I don't respect NO engineer till I hear his work with hip hop period!
that makes sense.

that's why i don't pay a LOT of people on here no mind when they ain't even got no links to their work.
26th December 2013
Old 26th December 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Mixing rock and ish with drums hitting around 160 to 250HZ is f...... easy man I could do that ish with my eyes closed. You get respect from me when you can blend and mix hard drums hitting at 40-50hz bass hitting 80hz and still have a balanced mix. Who can't blend a 250hz kick lol all the other ish like guitar, piano, vocals is easy.
Maybe when you're working with samples. Good luck mixing a live kit with that attitude! Whilst I agree that just because you can mix one style, doesn't mean you're good at another, I don't think you can write off rock mixing as easy..feel free to post up examples of how good you are at it though and we can judge for ourselves!

Heck..the last "urban" engineer (he was the engineer for a writer/producer you'd ALL have heard of) I worked with couldn't record a vocal without a) printing it THROUGH autotune and a host of other plugins (why?!) and b) setting up a headphone send without a bucket of latency.

I was meant to be babysitting the session...when it came time to record drums I considered plugging in and line checking all the mikes, then saying "there you go mr engineer!" but I took pity on him (he was a nice guy) and so I did the hard work of getting the actual kit sound.

Different genres - different skills required. To write off one or the other as "f...easy" just shows disrespect and a lack of experience.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
27th December 2013
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Thing is I don't respect NO engineer till I hear his work with hip hop period! Mixing rock and ish with drums hitting around 160 to 250HZ is f...... easy man I could do that ish with my eyes closed. You get respect from me when you can blend and mix hard drums hitting at 40-50hz bass hitting 80hz and still have a balanced mix. Who can't blend a 250hz kick lol all the other ish like guitar, piano, vocals is easy.

Pop, modern rock, and virtually every style of hard rock won't have the drums hitting at 160 to 250. That's a bit high. Maybe the snare drum falls into that, but the same would be true for any genre.

Also, for what it's worth, I think it's waaaay harder to mix 160-250 well than it is to nail the sub bass range. A 250 kick is gonna step all over the rest of the rhythm section (which is one of those things that makes 70s R&B, funk, and disco records so damn amazing-sounding; there's actually a fair amount of 250 in those kicks and they manage to make it work).

=======================

Various Waves Bundles and Other Plugin Collections for Sale.

Click here for details!!

Prices are highly negotiable. Make me an offer.

=======================
27th December 2013
Old 27th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
sounds like insecure people.

Secure folx have no problem giving credit, because they'll always have the opportunity to impress. Its untalented losers that usually need artificial ownership and creds for everything to make it seem like they're better than what they are. Compensation. It happens. A lot.
It's happened here... you get a copy of the record and it says that the artist engineered it... mmhmm.
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear nut

Can someone educate me on this one. Why do singer/rapper get more recognition than producers/engineers? I mean think about it. I have seen it across chat rooms. Everytime when you go rap on the mic or just sing a love song, the girls are always almost the one that feel in love with you. But when you're the one that make the beat or mixed it, it's like you're nothing. lmao!
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg27 View Post
Why do singer/rapper get more recognition than producers/engineers?

x1,000,000
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear nut

The singer or rapper are almost the ones who is getting the girls.

When you sing that's when the ladies love it.

What is wrong with this picture?
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
The singer or rapper are almost the ones who is getting the girls.

When you sing that's when the ladies love it.

What is wrong with this picture?
You'll fit right in here.
2nd January 2014
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can someone educate me on this one. Why do singer/rapper get more recognition than producers/engineers? I mean think about it. I have seen it across chat rooms. Everytime when you go rap on the mic or just sing a love song, the girls are always almost the one that feel in love with you. But when you're the one that make the beat or mixed it, it's like you're nothing. lmao!
Because they usually aren't there.

How many times have you been to a concert and the engineer was on stage?
Are you really comparing a frontman to someone who works behind the scenes?

How come the racecar driver is more popular than his pit crew?
And why is Kobe is more popular than his personal trainer?

Exposure.

Premo on the decks while Guru was rocking mics gave Premo way more exposure then making a beat in the studio and Guru playing it on a CD player.
FyLe ForMatz
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

yeah...it's just crazy because hella kids grow up and wanna be rappers and producers and shit...only a handful wanna be engineers.

when i think about it...NOBODY i knew wanted to grow up and be a soundman.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
yeah...it's just crazy because hella kids grow up and wanna be rappers and producers and shit...only a handful wanna be engineers.

when i think about it...NOBODY i knew wanted to grow up and be a soundman.
Sometimes I get the feeling in a hiphop "crowd" everyone wants to be "producers" and "artists"...it's the guy left over who kind of becomes the engineer by default...bit like the goalie in many kids' soccer games.

Occasionally you get the kid who actively WANTS to be in goal, and maybe does a whole lot better than any other kid.

Just the impression that I get. I could be well off base.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear nut

Being an engineer is for people who can't produce. Just like ya being a producer cuz ya can't even spit. lmfao.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Being an engineer is for people who can't produce. Just like ya being a producer cuz ya can't even spit. lmfao.

You think rapping is harder than producing?
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

This is a true story:

The same thing was happening to me for years, but after reading the credits on the releases I got a suspicion as to why this was happening. Lucky for me, I had a hip-hop client that I became really good friends with and I was able to ask him why this was the case.

The reason was that my name was too "plain" and "white". Not only did they want their music to be cool and rough, they also wanted everything else on the CD that way, including the credits. If the name was not cool sounding or seemed out of place from all the other names, no credit. So we came up with an alt name for me for hip-hop projects (I keep it secret), and I've been on all the credits ever since. The artists even know and ask for me by this name now and even mention me in their songs as bragging rights that they got me behind the desk. A lot of them don't even know my real name! That's OK, I think it is silly too! It is my alternate engineering ego. If my real ego and this one ever met, I may explode.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

You think rapping is harder than producing?
I think all three are equally challenging. some rap is a joke I get that but don't discredit a genera because of a few less talented people.

Quasar

fire

Club

Matrix1.4

Blue London
FyLe ForMatz
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sometimes I get the feeling in a hiphop "crowd" everyone wants to be "producers" and "artists"...it's the guy left over who kind of becomes the engineer by default...bit like the goalie in many kids' soccer games
exactly! lol
FyLe ForMatz
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins View Post
If the name was not cool sounding or seemed out of place from all the other names, no credit
DAMN that's ILL.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
I think all three are equally challenging. some rap is a joke I get that but don't discredit a genera because of a few less talented people.
I'm not discrediting anything. I'm laughing at the (idiotic) notion that rapping is somehow more difficult than producing or engineering.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

lol, if everyone could rap everyone would. there are just as many shitty engineers and producers as rappers out there. So really though what aspect of rapping is easy? the writing, the performance? the rhyming? delivery? the content? appealing to your target audience?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search