Looking for a specific 808
New Reply
Subscribe
Pumper.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

Looking for a specific 808

I have a bunch of dirty south kits and Lex luger kits, but none of the 808s sound like this... no matter how much mixing I do...

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that it's the 808 sample itself that sounds amazing to begin with, then he touches it up with mixing. Where can I find this kind of growling 808?
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper. View Post
I have a bunch of dirty south kits and Lex luger kits, but none of the 808s sound like this... no matter how much mixing I do...

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that it's the 808 sample itself that sounds amazing to begin with, then he touches it up with mixing. Where can I find this kind of growling 808?
Take a luger 808, put an eq on it, eq the tone that's in the 80 - 120hz range up until its pretty loud. Record a hit of the 808, save it, use.
__

Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/santaomg

^I'm the best
Pumper.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadDub View Post
Take a luger 808, put an eq on it, eq the tone that's in the 80 - 120hz range up until its pretty loud. Record a hit of the 808, save it, use.
Wow I feel so stupid! I can't thank you enough for posting this bro! You're the man!
Pumper.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

Hmm.. so I boosted the hell out of the higher frequencies of my 808... got it sounding dope. Then I put the compressor on it and it doesn't sound the way I want it to. :/ I have to compress it so IDK what I should do?

Maybe I'll try a multiband compressor.

EDIT: Hmm... with the multiband compressor if I hit some notes the db meter will go off the charts... I guess I can get away with light compression just to level out the db
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear maniac

why do you HAVE to compress it?
Pumper.
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

2 reasons.

1) I remember Timbo or some big shot producer saying to get those drums hitting hard you compress, compress, and then compress.

2) (Probably the more important reason) is when I push certain notes the volume is way too loud, and others not so much. Light compression seems to keep everything under control.

EDIT: Heyy you know what.. Instead of taking Lex Luger's 808s... I decided to go through my TR808 kit and I eq'd.. overdrived.. little bit of compression... and dayumn son! Where'd you find this??? This sh*t sounds CLEAN AS F*CK. Only problem is the longest TR808 bass drum I have isn't that long. I need to go and find a long sample and then do what I just did.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search