Login / Register

whats the best bad ass no joke mic pre i can get?
New Reply
Subscribe
tyquan
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

whats the best bad ass no joke mic pre i can get?

hi i have a forte what mic pre is best for it i heard that its not good to record into your inbox that a stand alone mic pre is all ways better is that true? i wanna record vocals if thats true then what mic pre should i get to get the most out of the forte & i love the forte just trying to get the most out of it & thanks
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyquan View Post
hi i have a forte what mic pre is best for it i heard that its not good to record into your inbox that a stand alone mic pre is all ways better is that true? i wanna record vocals if thats true then what mic pre should i get to get the most out of the forte & i love the forte just trying to get the most out of it & thanks
Since the Forte is a pretty decent piece of equipment I would focus on learning how to use it to its maximum capabilities.

And you might consider finding some other people to listen to...like those who actually know a little bit about these things...
tyquan
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

thanks i want to take the sound i record with the forte to the next lv & i think getting a mic pre is a good way to start i know how to get the most out of it wen it comes to the recording side of things so i need a pre amp thats like to lvs above the forte so i can really get that good warm clear sound. im recording with a sm7b
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks i want to take the sound i record with the forte to the next lv & i think getting a mic pre is a good way to start i know how to get the most out of it wen it comes to the recording side of things so i need a pre amp thats like to lvs above the forte so i can really get that good warm clear sound. im recording with a sm7b
I like the AEA TRP for SM7, RE20 and other lower output dynamics .. AEA makes a couple others that have phantom power in case you ever needed it

I have also gotten very good results with the Avalon 737

if you go with 500 series the API 512c works well with SM7 for me

best

Roger Brainard
www.rogerbrainard.com
tyquan
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

thanks a lot i want to get the Avalon 737 but it cost a lot can i get the Avalon M5 Mono Pure Class A Microphone Preamp & still be fine or is the extra $555 worth it i just want clear pro warm sounding vocals i know the Avalon 737 has a compresser on but i heard its not the best compresser that there are more dedicated ones that could be used to get the best sound & most ppl tell me that they dont compress wen recording cuz if you get it wrong you cant undo that it its better to compress in the mix so i can use a wave plug ins to compress my vocals in the mix right? & i can use waves eq plug ins for my vocals to & be fine right? or does the eq & compresser on the Avalon 737 what makes it stand out & how good is the Avalon 737 pre just the mic pre side of it? & it the Avalon M5 Mono Pure Class A Microphone Preamp just as good or 80% as good or is it not even worth the money & should i just save up & get the Avalon 737 thanks
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks a lot i want to get the Avalon 737 but it cost a lot can i get the Avalon M5 Mono Pure Class A Microphone Preamp & still be fine or is the extra $555 worth it i just want clear pro warm sounding vocals i know the Avalon 737 has a compresser on but i heard its not the best compresser that there are more dedicated ones that could be used to get the best sound & most ppl tell me that they dont compress wen recording cuz if you get it wrong you cant undo that it its better to compress in the mix so i can use a wave plug ins to compress my vocals in the mix right? & i can use waves eq plug ins for my vocals to & be fine right? or does the eq & compresser on the Avalon 737 what makes it stand out & how good is the Avalon 737 pre just the mic pre side of it? & it the Avalon M5 Mono Pure Class A Microphone Preamp just as good or 80% as good or is it not even worth the money & should i just save up & get the Avalon 737 thanks
I have not had an M5 but hear they are very nice.. the 737's comp is good for controlling peaks when tracking but is not really needed .. I like the EQ section a lot but it takes a bit of trial and error if you are self produced. I would think the M5 would be a great choice .. .. you may also want to look at the Grace pre's
tyquan
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

thanks im a take a look at Grace pres now & yes im self produced & i feel safer eqing in the mix i dont wanna mess up on the vocal eqing by misstake & im good at using a graph eqs like the on logic & pro tools but for some reason the 3 band or 4 band or more nob eqs all ways get the best of me im not 100% shore on how then work the graph eq i 100% under stand how they work cuz i can see & hear the frequency i want, sweep a round & see what the sweep is doing & hear it since i cant see whats going on with the nob eqs im not really shore whats its doing besides what i hear so i get scard like i know what 2db in 3000k looks like & sounds like on a grap eq but if i want that setting on a nob eq im lost & dont know how to do it =( i could play a round with the mid highs my BE & SEE IF I GET that same harsh sound that 3000k gives but its hard for me to really under stand so i like to stick to graph eqs & does eqing wen you 1st record in to the mic pre have its advantages? & thanks rogerbrain
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

It's all subjective but I would stay away from the grace and the M5 because they're very clean sounding pres. If you're doing hiphop you're probably gonna want something with some balls. Your forte can probably get you by with the clean sound and say something neve inspired (1073, great river, etc) or tube would be a better compliment.
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

I prefer the Avalon M5 over the 737. That's why I bought me two M5s.

Mixing tutorials: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression

Drum samples: The Maio Collection

Mixing articles: The Pro Audio Files

26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear Head

LA610mkII.
tyquan
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear interested

does the Great River MP-500 plug in to my forte or do i need a 500 rack to use the Great River MP-500 i looked it up & seen something like that it said you need a 500 rack to use it is that true? can i just sit it on a desk or some where & still use it?
tyquan
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear interested

why do you prefer the Avalon M5 over the 737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I prefer the Avalon M5 over the 737. That's why I bought me two M5s.
thats good to know but why do you prefer the Avalon M5 over the 737 whats good a bout it & what dont you like so much a bout the 737 & thanks
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
does the Great River MP-500 plug in to my forte or do i need a 500 rack to use the Great River MP-500 i looked it up & seen something like that it said you need a 500 rack to use it is that true? can i just sit it on a desk or some where & still use it?
For the 500 version you would need something to power it so yes to answer your question. For the mp-1 you don't need it. Also check out the tb-12 tonebeast if you want to save allot of coin and get a great bang for your buck!

And I also own a 737
tyquan
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear interested

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMathis View Post
For the 500 version you would need something to power it so yes to answer your question. For the mp-1 you don't need it. Also check out the tb-12 tonebeast if you want to save allot of coin and get a great bang for your buck!

And I also own a 737
ok im a check out the pres you told me im a try to get a mic pre that works on its own if i have to buy a 500 rack thats more money in need a mic pre thats strong sounding & can stand on its own
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

if you want 'other' flavours get the Warm Audio Tone Buster.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I've had the opportunity to work with both the 737 & the M5 & although they're both GREAT preamps in every aspect, I'd recommend you check out the Avalon V5, which in IMHO is up to par with both of them!!! You could either save or invest the additional $500 - $1500 on some other gear. Yes I own it. Depending on who or what I'm recording, I match it up with either a TLM 102, C414 XLS, EV RE20, SM57, Beta 58, Genesis or R77 & EVERYTHING sounds EXCELLENT, unless the source is half-ass of course!!! Thanks to the advice I've received here on Gearslutz in regards to PROPERLY treating my recording space & experimenting with mic positioning, the ONLY EQ & dynamics processing I use is HPF (if needed), very light compression or limiting (if needed). FYI, the V5 has loads of headroom & clean-dead quiet gain till the very end. If you want to go more economic, you should also check the True-Systems P-Solo & the Focusrite ISA One. Both IMHO are also EXCELLENT!!!
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear addict

i use the sm7b exclusively

three killer pres for it

mike-e, burl, and great river

the sm7b likes pres that have a low impedance option.

i use the burl now...its $775 and is INCREDIBLE. mike-e may have been my favorite. the burl smokes and the GR is great too.

cant lose with any of those 3. the fact you can get the burl the cheapest makes it the winner in my book. i dont need compression going in... but the mike-e saturation is killer

i think the mike-e and the burl b1 may be the most underrated pieces on GS

DL ...whole "SOundtrack to Your Life" project
http://www.mediafire.com/?qbx8heyi8nkp35i
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search