The Future of Dynamic Mics in Rap
New Reply
Subscribe
JayDavid
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear nut

The Future of Dynamic Mics in Rap

There are very few if any big names in rap still using dynamic mics.

Why are they no longer in use? Will they ever return in force?
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

I hope
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

The overall sounds changed. Everything is digital and very clean. Dynamic mics sit with more punch and ruggedness than condenser mics and in many cases dynamics don't cut through a mix as well as their counter part.

Their still good though and with the rihht engineer can be perfect, especially in bad rooms.

www.i80media.com
I-80 Media Group via YouTube
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
The overall sounds changed. Everything is digital and very clean. Dynamic mics sit with more punch and ruggedness than condenser mics and in many cases dynamics don't cut through a mix as well as their counter part.

Their still good though and with the rihht engineer can be perfect, especially in bad rooms.
Good point because a lot of dudes who are doing bedroom shit seem bent on getting a condenser mic.

And if your room isn't treated and on a budget...a dynamic is the only solution as far as I'm concerned.
JayDavid
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear nut

Yeah i know a lot of people here are very nostalgic about golden era hip hop. I'm enjoying the rap scene right now though, there's a lot of talented people out there doing their thing.

I think that a big reason why they used to use Dynamic mics is rappers were yelling into the mic more. Now a days there is a more intimate approach to rap and with that comes the need to capture a more true to life vocal tone.

I agree though small home studios with bad acoustics will find dynamics to be a blessing, also the people doing throwback boom-bap music will probably dig the tones more.

I kind of don't see there being a dynamic resurgence in rap and i'm not sure i would want there to be one.
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear maniac

This thread has me really interested in breaking out the 57 to cut some vocals so I have some questions.. Will a built Preamp of a Mbox mini 3rd gen or a project mix give me a good enough signal? Should the mic still be on a stand or just let the artist rock out with it? Best distance for the artist to be from the mic?
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear maniac

Naw for a sm7/7b 57,58 you need like 50-60db of gain to drive it right and I dont believe that the mbox give you more than 40db

Sent from my SGH-T989
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

Yea get a decent preamp with some good clean gain to drive that sucka.....
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear Head

A decent preamp is a necessity. A dynamic mic can do the job. On a budget? A FMR RNP can give you the gain you want with a perfectly acceptable tone. I'd take a good dynamic over a wannabe condenser any day.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Out of interest, on what basis does the OP make his initial judgement - 1st hand experience, hearsay, or what?

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
JayDavid
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Out of interest, on what basis does the OP make his initial judgement - 1st hand experience, hearsay, or what?
Sound on Sound articles documenting rap productions.
Videos and pictures of rappers in the studio.
Just listening to tons of rap, everything after around 2000? sounds like a condenser to me.

I've never worked with a rapper that is very excited about using one, they see the neumann and don't want to use anything else.

Just a few images from a quick google search:

I'm sure some big name rapper has used a dynamic recently, I just don't know who it is lol. I started this thread out of curiosity, half expecting people to say i was dead wrong.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDavid View Post
Sound on Sound articles documenting rap productions.
Videos and pictures of rappers in the studio.
Just listening to tons of rap, everything after around 2000? sounds like a condenser to me.

I've never worked with a rapper that is very excited about using one, they see the neumann and don't want to use anything else.

Just a few images from a quick google search:

I'm sure some big name rapper has used a dynamic recently, I just don't know who it is lol. I started this thread out of curiosity, half expecting people to say i was dead wrong.
So no 1st hand experience then?

I've used dynamics on "name" rappers...but I wouldn't go as far as making sweeping statements because I don't work with a lot of people.

How you can tell dynamic from condenser after lots of processing I don't know; plus I wouldn't make any judgement from SOS articles, random pictures that could be a photoshoot or promo shot, or the opinions of local guys (forgive me here, I assume you're not engineering for name guys yourself?).

Fwiw I'm not sure there's ever been much of a demand for rappers using dynamic mics other than things like the obvious sm7b or re20 - Neumanns (real Neumanns, not the 103 or anything) are always popular; however I think these are as popular, if not more so, than they've ever been.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear addict

Don't be a sheep. Use whatever sounds nice.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsquash View Post
Don't be a sheep.
Exactly what it is....

Monkey see, monkey do.
JayDavid
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear nut

No I'm not engineering big names I'm only 22. A guy can dream though.

SOS articles aren't trustworthy? I always thought they were a good source.

As for hearing the difference between dynamic and condenser on a master i would be willing to chalk that up to young naivety, though i do feel there is a level of detail that differs from one to the other. I have experimented comparing the sm7 to the u87ai and they sit in a mix very differently.

I'm here to learn so don't be afraid to drop me some knowledge.

Quote:
Don't be a sheep. Use whatever sounds nice.
Being a "sheep" as you call it is how i put food on the table, many low enders wont use a studio if there are no neumanns or protools, they expect industry standards and will take their business else where if you can't provide them. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same for bigger studios as well.

Quote:
Exactly what it is....

Monkey see, monkey do.
Dehumanization is great right? Take your childish behavior elsewhere.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Being a "sheep" as you call it is how i put food on the table, many low enders wont use a studio if there are no neumanns or protools, they expect industry standards and will take their business else where if you can't provide them. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same for bigger studios as well.
But you said, and I quote

Quote:
I kind of don't see there being a dynamic resurgence in rap and i'm not sure i would want there to be one.
Which points to it being a creative choice as opposed to a business one...so which is it? I guess you don't want the resurgence of a trend that will save you some money?

Quote:
You asked for an opinion and now that you have one you have a problem with it? Or are you trolling for fun?
JayDavid
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Which points to it being a creative choice as opposed to a business one...so which is it? I guess you don't want the resurgence of a trend that will save you some money?
I can't have a love for listening to rap music as well as a successful business recording it? Please enlighten me how they are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
You asked for an opinion and now that you have one you have a problem with it? Or are you trolling for fun?
I start a relevant dialogue and you call me a monkey? Who is trolling in that situation?

Is calling someone a monkey considered an opinion now? I could have sworn it was a childish attempt at being insulting.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

I wasn't calling you a monkey....

it was a figure of speech...just like dudes used to see artist X using such and such gear..so they felt the need to do the same.

Herd mentality....it is prevalent in all facets of life..the music business notwithstanding.
JayDavid
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
it was a figure of speech...just like dudes used to see artist X using such and such gear..so they felt the need to do the same.

Herd mentality....it is prevalent in all facets of life..the music business notwithstanding.
I agree some people bandwagon without researching it themselves, though sometimes people like things because they are great or essential. Everyone likes food, that doesn't make it part of a herd mentality. And just like food a u87 is essential to survival in the business climate I am in.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
No I'm not engineering big names I'm only 22. A guy can dream though.

SOS articles aren't trustworthy? I always thought they were a good source.

As for hearing the difference between dynamic and condenser on a master i would be willing to chalk that up to young naivety, though i do feel there is a level of detail that differs from one to the other. I have experimented comparing the sm7 to the u87ai and they sit in a mix very differently.

I'm here to learn so don't be afraid to drop me some knowledge.

Aight. Mine was a general statement. Keep the dynamic mic in the cupboard and use it when you feel its appropriate.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search