Need an inexpensive turntable
Old 25th August 2013
  #1
Gear nut
 

Thread Starter
Need an inexpensive turntable

one to play records on that can double up as something to sample from. Any suggestions? My budget is really pretty low because I'm a student...but I don't want to get something so cheap it ruins my records.
Old 29th August 2013
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonic View Post
one to play records on that can double up as something to sample from. Any suggestions? My budget is really pretty low because I'm a student...but I don't want to get something so cheap it ruins my records.
Depending what you're going to be doing with the turntable, that's how you decide.

Belt drive = great for sampling / listening to records.

Direct drive = turntablist (as it's on a motor, not a belt).

I personally have the Numark TTXUSB -- which is way too over to the top, unless you are an audiophile/extremest to scratching etc.

I would recommend the Numark TTUSB (Not TTX), it's very affordable!:
Numark TTUSB | Sweetwater.com
Old 30th August 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Stay away from cheap belt-drives. The torque can easily become inconsistent and usually the cases aren't as solid so they pick up more vibrations and don't sound as good. Belt-drives are only good if you go really high-end audiophile (like 1k and up).

I have a pair of vestax PDXs that I travel with, a pair of Numark TTXs in my studio, plus use Tech12s all the time at clubs. I've also owned cheaper turntables from Stanton and Numark.

The only mid-grade turntables I would recommend would be the Numark TT200 (or TT500 if you can find one) or the Stanton T.62. Basically the cheaper direct-drives. You also could go with used higher end DJ tables but make sure you check them out thoroughly. The first-generation TTX had a well documented design flaw and there are thousands of janky, abused, old Tech 1200s floating around that require expensive repairs.
Old 31st August 2013
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
Stay away from cheap belt-drives. The torque can easily become inconsistent and usually the cases aren't as solid so they pick up more vibrations and don't sound as good. Belt-drives are only good if you go really high-end audiophile (like 1k and up).

I have a pair of vestax PDXs that I travel with, a pair of Numark TTXs in my studio, plus use Tech12s all the time at clubs. I've also owned cheaper turntables from Stanton and Numark.

The only mid-grade turntables I would recommend would be the Numark TT200 (or TT500 if you can find one) or the Stanton T.62. Basically the cheaper direct-drives. You also could go with used higher end DJ tables but make sure you check them out thoroughly. The first-generation TTX had a well documented design flaw and there are thousands of janky, abused, old Tech 1200s floating around that require expensive repairs.
OP's question doesn't seem to involved scratching/turntablism, just listening/sampling purposes. The TTUSB would be great for the price + use !

If scratching, yes direct drive the way to go!
Old 31st August 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 

i'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for a cheap turntable. i had a pt01 usb, sounded like complete garbage, does the TTUSB sound any better?
Old 31st August 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratuiTous View Post
OP's question doesn't seem to involved scratching/turntablism, just listening/sampling purposes. The TTUSB would be great for the price + use !

If scratching, yes direct drive the way to go!
I was just giving examples of extra uses.

In my experience, belt-drives are just not as durable (the belt will wear out at some point) and usually use more lightweight components (which effects it's sensitivity to vibration and thus it's sound).

If they were the same price, I would take a used, good condition direct-drive over a brand new belt-drive any day.

IMO the only reason manufacturers push belt-drives is the same reason they keep rehashing low-end DJ midi controllers. The components are so cheap that keep the profit margins much higher than producing actual durable, quality devices.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.