OK. I'ma buy this probably. E-Mu 1820m. Would this setup work (experts!)??
Mitch Lowen
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear nut

OK. I'ma buy this probably. E-Mu 1820m. Would this setup work (experts!)??

Right now I am probably using the weirdest setup ever.

I have a analog mixer with only 1 stereo output. This has forced me to do the following:

Mixer outs -> analog IN DAT recorder
S/Pdif out DAT -> S/Pdif in Soundcard
Analog out DAT -> Analog in Amplifier.

I have to put the DAT recorder on record to hear what's going on on my mixer (because the DAT sends the signal that it receives through the amp).

Now I'm considering buying the E-Mu 1820m and using this setup.

I understand that the box of the 1820m is the audiointerface and the card.. is the card haha.

If I use this setup.. will it work:

Mixer main outs -> 2 ins (box)
Box 1/8 speaker outs -> 2 ins amplifier
Pre-amp 1 out -> 1 in (box)

I assume that the box (audio interface) would do what the DAT does now (minus the digital connection) and the soundcard.. is my soundcard now.

I really hope this setup would work and would allow me to let my DAT retire.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen View Post
I understand that the box of the 1820m is the audiointerface and the card.. is the card haha.

If I use this setup.. will it work:

Mixer main outs -> 2 ins (box)
Box 1/8 speaker outs -> 2 ins amplifier
Pre-amp 1 out -> 1 in (box)

I assume that the box (audio interface) would do what the DAT does now (minus the digital connection) and the soundcard.. is my soundcard now.
First of all the 1820m comes with a break out box which gives you 4 x stereo in and 4 x stereo out. It then connects to a PCI card which also has ADAT in and S/PDIF.

So depening how many sound sources you have you probably would not need you mixer in the chain...so that would cut down on noise. Unless you want to use it for it's specific sound?

Then also depending on your pre, you may also want to use the pre's on the 1820m. Which are pretty decent clean but no character.

Not sure if you aware though the 1820 & 1820m have been discontinued. Although you will still get driver updates as the drivers are the same basically accross the DAS range.
Mitch Lowen
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
First of all the 1820m comes with a break out box which gives you 4 x stereo in and 4 x stereo out. It then connects to a PCI card which also has ADAT in and S/PDIF.

So depening how many sound sources you have you probably would not need you mixer in the chain...so that would cut down on noise. Unless you want to use it for it's specific sound?

Then also depending on your pre, you may also want to use the pre's on the 1820m. Which are pretty decent clean but no character.

Not sure if you aware though the 1820 & 1820m have been discontinued. Although you will still get driver updates as the drivers are the same basically accross the DAS range.
Thanx 4 the reply!!

Do I have too many sound sources for the 4 x stereo (8 inputs)?
These are my outs:

2 MPC2000
2 JV2080
2 E-Mu Proteus 2000
2 S950
1 Mic Pre-Amp out

The mixer's this old warm Yamaha PA mixer. It actually has a really powerfull character. I'd like to know if it's possible to eventually bypass the thing though - and how would that work in pre-production!?

Thanx!

See the thing is I'm upgrading my PC. NOW: P3 w/ Logic 4 + audiowerk 8 soundcard. Soon: P4 dual core w/ Logic Platinum 5.5 and probably the E-Mu 1820m. I really don't want to buy a soundcard that puts salt in my game ) haha.

My main other questions:

1) So the 'box' is like an audio interface right?

2) I kind of wonder.. if the box is also the soundcard and I put my mixers main outs into input 1 and 2.. don't I need to have Logic Audio on record for the 'box' to receive and send music? Or is the box like a passing through station for the sounds the mixer sends to it's main outs?

3) I already have a mic-pre so I won't use the pre's on the 1820m. Do I plug the mic-pre out jack into the line in on the front of the box or into one of the inputs on the back of the box!?

Thanx. I'm glad you know this product!! I know it's discontinued - but I can get it new for +/- 400. I think that's a pretty good deal. I got a new PC coming soon, I'd like to also get a new soundcard to replace my trusted Audiowerk 8.
15th September 2006
Old 15th September 2006
Gear addict

1820m is a very good sounding dock. I had one now for two years and am satisfied. For extra ins It also has an adat input. When you get it install all of the latest updates!!
15th September 2006
Old 15th September 2006

the emu is fine
you need a mixer, for your gear
and use it to mult (double) your mixer output too.
17th September 2006
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen View Post
Thanx 4 the reply!!

Do I have too many sound sources for the 4 x stereo (8 inputs)?
These are my outs: Yes I would try running 1 of each sound source to the mixer and 1 directly to the EMU seeing as you have 2 of each, and see how the sound quality difference works for you.

2 MPC2000
2 JV2080
2 E-Mu Proteus 2000
2 S950
1 Mic Pre-Amp out

The mixer's this old warm Yamaha PA mixer. It actually has a really powerfull character. I'd like to know if it's possible to eventually bypass the thing though - and how would that work in pre-production!?

Thanx!

See the thing is I'm upgrading my PC. NOW: P3 w/ Logic 4 + audiowerk 8 soundcard. Soon: P4 dual core w/ Logic Platinum 5.5 and probably the E-Mu 1820m. I really don't want to buy a soundcard that puts salt in my game ) haha. You won't

My main other questions:

1) So the 'box' is like an audio interface right? yes

2) I kind of wonder.. if the box is also the soundcard and I put my mixers main outs into input 1 and 2.. don't I need to have Logic Audio on record for the 'box' to receive and send music? Or is the box like a passing through station for the sounds the mixer sends to it's main outs? If you have your mixer out put connected to lets say inputs 1+2 on the EMU then you would set up a send on the EMU Patchmix (that's the EMU software mixer) and you would set the send to ASIO in 1+2 for Logic. When you record arm in a track n Logic you will see the incomming signal ready to be recorded. I also use Logic 5.5.1

3) I already have a mic-pre so I won't use the pre's on the 1820m. Do I plug the mic-pre out jack into the line in on the front of the box or into one of the inputs on the back of the box!? Either I use the front, as I use the 3 x stereo ins on the back for my sampler and sound module. I aslo have a JV2080

Thanx. I'm glad you know this product!! I know it's discontinued - but I can get it new for +/- 400. I think that's a pretty good deal. I got a new PC coming soon, I'd like to also get a new soundcard to replace my trusted Audiowerk 8.
You will be able to get rid of the Audiowerk 8, and you'll be much impressed by the sound qulity upgrade...I also use to have a Audiower 8's x 3.
21st September 2006
Old 21st September 2006
Gear addict

this 1820m is a sick sounding product i love it never regretted i brought it
22nd September 2006
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

emu 1820

i have 3 emu's and they are excellent. i've just downgraded comps and have an extra 1820. pm me if your interested.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search