Login / Register

a good Drum bus compressor that is ALSO a great vocal compressor?
New Reply
Subscribe
SEED78
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

I want something I can will normally sit on the drum bus - but that is great for repatching and using for recording vocals when needed

any of these:?
distressor
660 clone of some sorts? or any other good Dripp or Gyraf clone?
Summit TLA100A
Daking
SSL clone
BAE

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Mojo controlling everything. There's no mystical Mojo that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Keep on keeping on,
Frank
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear maniac

You can never go wrong with an 1176. Great for so much!
SEED78
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

seems like a good choice - I'd prob get a high end clone done at some point.
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear addict

I loves me some 1176, but it's hard to beat a distressor for versatility...
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

1176 is great, but it would not be my first choice on the drum BUS.

I got no idea what *tone* you're looking for, but maybe you should have a look at the UBK Fatso..
Gee
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gee
Gear maniac

I second the Fatso from ubk, just magic what can be done with it!
SEED78
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

UBK Fatso has been on the list a few times. although was thinking of getting a sound sculptor or portico for tape emulation - I do understand the fatso can do more than the portico though...

Dripp's new RCA compressor clone looks cool to me too at the moment.
SEED78
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicasaur View Post
I loves me some 1176, but it's hard to beat a distressor for versatility...
although I have heard tell that some people prefer it on individual drum parts rather than the drum bus itself - dunno what to make of that.
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Banned

The answer is simple if you do rap / hip hop.
Distressor.
2nd choice would be SSL G
3rd wohld be 1176
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

On vocals run channel 1's out int to 2's in for comp series. Money!
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Agreed that the Fatso is definitely an incredible and versatile choice! Especially for hip hop!

I know everyone has different preferences for sure, but I almost always setup a parallel compression chain for drums with my 1176 as a default in a lot of mix sessions. It works like a charm most of the time. But it is true that it sometimes works better on individual tracks than as a bus compressor. As with anything, it depends on the tone you are going for and your style.

Can't go wrong with the Fatso, indeed!!
Has anyone ever used the Purple MC77 in place of the 1176 before (hardware version of course)?
SEED78
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post

On vocals run channel 1's out int to 2's in for comp series. Money!
have you done that - any good?

I put the 1968 on there as 2nd hand ME's are almost as low as £600 in UK right now - have heard its great on drums and master bus, but not heard much about it on vocals.

where as summit, BAE, 1176, and Distressor I've heard are good on vocals as well as drums.

any of the Fatso users using it on vocals here?
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
UBK Fatso has been on the list a few times. although was thinking of getting a sound sculptor or portico for tape emulation - I do understand the fatso can do more than the portico though...

Dripp's new RCA compressor clone looks cool to me too at the moment.
If youre lookng for tape emulation on a budget, have you checked out the Kramer Tape yet?
I finally upgraded a while back, and have been presently surprised with its performance.

Everyone has thrown some pretty great options in for versatile hardware compressors, for sure. The Fatso and Distressor are certainly great and versatile options to go with!

Ive used the Distressor on a lot, and its never failed me, also, the Fatso has done some great work on vocals for me in the past as well. Ive always been biased to the 1176....when I built my first room, the 1176 along with the Drawmer 1960 and the Avalong 737 were the first real pieces of gear I ever owned, so I know my opinion is a little more one sided haha
But, if you opt for one of the other pieces, maybe check into the 1176 plugin (if you dont already have it). When it comes to hip hop vocals and drum busses, setting 'all buttons in' is truly bad ass when inserted parallel.

Im sure some people will give me sh!t for my obsession, lol, and I deserve it....
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Banned

The distressor is not as sexy as tue other pieces but should never fail you.
The Brit mode emu and the dist 1 & 2 ere nice on drums. I like opto emu for vox a lot. However it has athe 176 emu..... if you want ta more aggressive action.

SSL G is not as flexible but is a no brainer on drums and vox.... so who needs flexibility?

Now for less cash... Klark Teknik DN500 does a SSLish type thing. DBX 160x works on rap vox and drums. Just started using PBC6a for noth these lately. If you need a super fast attack run it in a series with another comp, however... so far not bad at all. Thick mode seems to stay on as a default.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear addict

API 2500 (hardware) is top notch on vocals . Amazing on drums and of course, a damned good bus comp. A little goes a long way with the 2500

Sent from my GT-I9300
SEED78
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
The distressor is not as sexy as tue other pieces but should never fail you.
The Brit mode emu and the dist 1 & 2 ere nice on drums. I like opto emu for vox a lot. However it has athe 176 emu..... if you want ta more aggressive action.

SSL G is not as flexible but is a no brainer on drums and vox.... so who needs flexibility?

Now for less cash... Klark Teknik DN500 does a SSLish type thing. DBX 160x works on rap vox and drums. Just started using PBC6a for noth these lately. If you need a super fast attack run it in a series with another comp, however... so far not bad at all. Thick mode seems to stay on as a default.
I will actually soonish have a Serpent Audio SB4000 with original DBX VCA, Turbo, Sidechain etc (SSL G stereo clone), but was going to mainly have it just on master bus - I guess I could still track vocals with it via my console.

Distressor is def an option, only thing that put me off is that most people seem to not like it on drum bus, just specifically on individual parts from what I read. maybe thats BS who knows

I have a 160x (no transformers in mine as far as I know) - have heard tell of it being used on vocals (and obviously know of its use on kick and snare...).

I just want to go all out quality as I have some projects next year that will warrant it. will be recording soul singers here and there, not just rap.

like the look of this RCA clone, I have someone very skilled who can put this together for me - as was thinking star level/660 type vibe to go with the redd47 clone preamp I'll be using.
Drip BA6A
SEED78
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBattistone View Post
If youre lookng for tape emulation on a budget, have you checked out the Kramer Tape yet?
I finally upgraded a while back, and have been presently surprised with its performance.

Everyone has thrown some pretty great options in for versatile hardware compressors, for sure. The Fatso and Distressor are certainly great and versatile options to go with!
kramer tape I think I do have knocking about - I went tape saturation crazy recently and got hold of all of the recommended plugs, ALL of them - when I get a chance I want to compare them all and figure out with I like best.

UBK fatso appeals big time - but I have a few other things I need to get first I recon, might be something I grab in a few years. it is VERY slutty!!! a piece I try not to own a credit card in fear of!!
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Banned

A LOT of people like it on individual drums. I do not know if they outnumber the knes who like it on drum buss. Maybe...

API 2500 was not on the list but since it came up its worth a look as well
SEED78
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

API is great - just might not be in my price range second hand.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

The API is great and I use it on both a lot but it's not very versatile. Can't always be used, has a great tone but sometimes not the sound u want. I would say the 160x and 2nd the 1176. Something about the 160x sounds better on vocals and drums to me than the 1176, seems like the 1176 always sounds better on one then the other.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
kramer tape I think I do have knocking about - I went tape saturation crazy recently and got hold of all of the recommended plugs, ALL of them - when I get a chance I want to compare them all and figure out with I like best.

UBK fatso appeals big time - but I have a few other things I need to get first I recon, might be something I grab in a few years. it is VERY slutty!!! a piece I try not to own a credit card in fear of!!

Nice....I think you will dig the Kramer Tape.
Also, you know, another cool plugin that often gets overlooked is URS Saturation. It has several tape saturation emulations, as well as several tube and vintage pre amp emulations. I know this is a little off subject, but worth memtioning in the discussion pertaining to saturation.
Did you pickup the DUY Tape plug too, by chance? I often use it on my dum bus or even my 2-Bus.
SEED78
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBattistone View Post
Nice....I think you will dig the Kramer Tape.
Also, you know, another cool plugin that often gets overlooked is URS Saturation. It has several tape saturation emulations, as well as several tube and vintage pre amp emulations. I know this is a little off subject, but worth memtioning in the discussion pertaining to saturation.
Did you pickup the DUY Tape plug too, by chance? I often use it on my dum bus or even my 2-Bus.
I'm on logic Pro9 on a mac mini - AU wise got hold of
Waves stuff
DUY dad tape
McDSP
PSP vintage warmer and older timer
massey

and some distortions like.
soundtoys decap
camel
fabfilter saturn
some air windows stuff
Frohmage

and some other stuff I forgot about
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
API 2500 (hardware) is top notch on vocals . Amazing on drums and of course, a damned good bus comp. A little goes a long way with the 2500

Sent from my GT-I9300
You know, I dont know how I neglected to think of the API!
Probably because thats one piece of gear that I have been dying to add to my racks, but have yet to do so....lol

But youre right...superb on vocals, killer on drums, and when it comes to hip hop, its a super versatile piece! It sounds great on strings, keys, pads, samples, and as previoisly mentioned, its a sexy bus comprssor. Whenever I get a chance when im working in a room with a 2500, I will print copies of a lot of my tracks through the 2500. That way when I get back to my mix room, Ill have my clean copy of a track and a copy run through the 2500 to choose from. I often end up choosing the 2500 print. Since i print it before im really into my mix, Ill only hit it with a db or so of compression, but just enough to color it. God I need to pick ome up already. End rant. Lol
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to chronmaster
More modern: Foote Control Systems PS3
More classic: Api 2500
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Telling it like it is

Elysia Xpressor.

Regards,
Frank
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Elysia Xpressor.
Oh yes!! If you want to go 500 series, this would be a good choice, but way cleaner than the UBK fatso.
SEED78
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

thanks for replies guys.

I've pretty mich decided to go with one of these 2 as I have a friend who can build custom units to a high quality for me.

LA2A clone - looks like it has more range than the original (This new feature allows selection between a fast, medium, or slow release t4 - a perfect option to better match compression styles for different types of source material.)
Opto 4 (LA-2A)

or if I want something more character this RCA clone, meant to be good for vocals
Drip BA6A

couple with this a Redd47 preamp clone and a OktavaMod mic and it'll be 'clone wars' round my yard!!
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Lord knows I dig the LA-2a on drums, especially big old school dirty acoustic kick drums, but for a primary drum comp I'd strongly advise something else, *especially* for styles that are more modern and/or not acoustic. It tends to make samples smaller with less knock, the release is just too slow and the knee isn't right for giving things impact.

It's KILLER on vocals and bass, though, especially where you want the sound heavily colored but not 'hairy' from compressive artifacts.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Dripp's LA2A has more range in speeds than the original I think, but recon I will maybe go for the RCA - has more colour than my cleaner compressors.

26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Gear Head

I would go with the stereo distresor since u want it for a stereo bus and now that gives u two vocal compressors. I use it all the time on vocals and u can push that baby hard. 1176 is more for tracking than it is for mixing, so if thats ur intentions go for it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search