Oldschool Rotary Mixer's for Beatmaking
MmBuddha
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear nut

Oldschool Rotary Mixers for Beatmaking

Bozak, Urei.. these names continue to be legends in the dance-music world. They have long been considered amongst the greatest sounding DJ mixers of all time, synonymous with the likes of Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan, yet I rarely if ever hear them talked about in conjunction with sample based hip-hop.

I wanted to know if anyone here has ever used this type of 'warm', 'punchy' high-end analogue mixer for hip-hop sampling. Does the sound work? Is it a poor fit for beatmaking in general, is it an investment worth making?

Any discussion at all on this subject is interesting to me, thanks for your time.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Banned

Yes. They have been used and they work. It was more of a "This is what I have so I will use it" thing. You would see them in the 90's a bit. Beatmakers did not really covet that type of thing. Probanly picked up used ar a pawn shop on the cheap because it had eq or "tone" controls and never though twice about it in use. Likely replaced later with something modern.

Many things considered vintage today by cats were dirt cheap back in the day. I remeber seeing an 808 for like $400 in a pawn shop.
MmBuddha
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear nut

Ah yes, the blessing and the curse of eBay. You can buy anything you want.. if you win. And so can everybody else.
MmBuddha
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear nut

I'm thinking about getting an E&S DJR400, which is based on the schematics of the original Urei 1620. It's sound is often described as 'punchy' and 'warm', much like the original rotary mixers. I'm just trying to work out if this will benefit my mixes with analogue warmth, or take me towards a high-fidelity audio chain that might sound too polished for the outcome I'm looking for.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search