Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/)
-   -   New KRS One Album.... Never Forget (2013) (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/852743-new-krs-one-album-never-forget-2013-a.html)

ASICE 13th July 2013 01:39 AM

New KRS One Album.... Never Forget (2013)

KRS One - Never Forget (2013)

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...26988dc89.jpeg

It Appears

KRS One - Never Forget

Does Kris still have it... or should he give it up?

jrides 13th July 2013 02:04 AM

Lost it years ago.
He often spits goobledygook.
Sometimes he sparks a hot verse, though its becoming more of a rarity.
I will probanly buy this one just like I did the others.

ForWerd 13th July 2013 02:25 AM

I like what I heard. It's been a while since I really checked for him, but I've got a lot of respect for him. His voice has such presence and he's usually on a positive vibe. Here's an interview I watched a while back that really opened my eyes to how he came up. It's crazy. He's talking about while South Bronx was playing on the radio he was homeless and these dudes were right beside him with a boom box blasting it and he was just sitting there. I highly recommend anyone that has ever been slightly interested in KRS or HipHop in general to watch this interview.

http://youtu.be/_mwnaqomFrs

mrwonderful 13th July 2013 04:14 AM

Survival Pack was raw that's the last track I heard from dude. Gotta cop this.

jrides 13th July 2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousPancakes (Post 9224572)
Just had some friends open up for him in los angeles earlier last year. Still has more stage presence than 98% of artists I've ever seen. A real emcee that surpasses what is recorded in the studio when in a live room.

KRS has and much of older hip hop is/was just so much better when live.

This is so true....except for Kane And Slick Rick. They still sound extremely dope on wax for some reason. Though Kane puts on a dope live show last I checked a few yrs ago

coolout 13th July 2013 08:58 AM

I'll confess to being a lifelong KRS fan. I bought Criminal Minded in '87 and every album during the Jive records period (on multiple formats). The first album on Koch was decent, but once he moved to Cali, started trying to flow like Eminem on songs, and did that really bad Christian album, he really lost me.

With that said, I really haven't checked for KRS much in the last 10 years aside from the Buckshot collab album. That project was completely on point. I really enjoyed that. Chalk that up to good A&R and executive production from Duck Down.

IMO KRS has the same fault that Nas does, sometimes they pick beats that just don't work. Almost like they're so into the lyrics, vocal performance, or concept of the song that it doesn't matter if the music isn't strong. I've actually found myself guilty of that in my own music.

Also on much of his recent music (2000's-present) the KRS flow has been more rigid rhythmically and not complementing (or comping in a musical sense) the drums. This seems in contrast to much of his earlier work. Sometimes he's not even in the pocket. I used to think it was because he was losing his ear (or edge), but now it seems to be on purpose. If you listen to that first track in this thread (It Appears) right at the 1 min. mark, he changes up his cadence and starts to "go in". Why couldn't he rhyme like that the whole song? Why does he often put on random dudes that are not on his level MC-wise? I guess it's all artistic license.

jrides 13th July 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousPancakes (Post 9224772)
damn I've never seen kane but I'm sure he would rip shit up

If you get a chance do not hesitate. He was doing the old Scoob and Scrap dance moves and the whole nine. We left drencbed in sweat wondering WTF just happened?
KRS and Kane have more enerfy on stage than a combination of fhe rop 20 raplers of today.
I hate Nas live show other than One Mic, wbere the energy is built into the track. Todays rappers "usually" needed live bands to keep my interest usually. Kweli, Monche, Jada, etc..

KRS running around on stage like a 20 yr old ie amazing to watch. He has gotta getting close to 50 in a little bit?

ForWerd 13th July 2013 04:16 PM

I went to a KRS show a couple years back and I'm STILL trying to find where "THE REAL HIP HOP" is at. Apparently, he was looking for it too. He kept saying "is it over here?! Is it over there?!" He seemed confused, but was sincerely trying to find it. He also gave the sound guys a lesson during the show. About how the speakers on stage facing him should have a separate volume control from the audience speakers cause he couldn't hear himself. Pretty entertaining dude, or should I say "edutaining."

drollz 13th July 2013 06:01 PM

I think this shit is dope. I think KRS, as an emcee, is still in elite company right now... His recent production has been subpar, but this track is creative and raw.. This is actually what I thought Yeezus would sound like when I heard about it...

Is the new KRS available anywhere? I Googled and the YouTube links and this page were the top three results...

Realigion 14th July 2013 02:45 AM

Why does it sound like that?

Slik dA Relic 14th July 2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolout (Post 9224894)
I really haven't checked for KRS much in the last 10 years aside from the Buckshot collab album. That project was completely on point. I really enjoyed that. Chalk that up to good A&R and executive production from Duck Down.

this was a right after Hurricane Sandy.. he can still educate for sure:

da relic

grouchee 14th July 2013 05:33 AM

Not bad! I'd listen to this before I listen to 99.9999999999 of that BS in hip hop today.. I would have loved to see him and Kane or LL for that matter battle. Wow

grouchee 14th July 2013 05:39 AM

Beside selections from Criminal Minded one of my favorite KRS joints! Classic in your face shit!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M0a8LP5...%3DM0a8LP5Ilg0

daez 14th July 2013 08:45 AM

One word = YES!!!!!!!!!

coolout 14th July 2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic (Post 9227163)

da relic

That was incredibly dope. How did I miss that?

SEED78 14th July 2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASICE (Post 9224305)
[B][SIZE="4"]

is he even rhyming on beat on that track? sounds a bit all over the place and not very tight, like some bad Yeezus impression?

regardless, one of the best MC's of all time easily, any day of the week. but I still find myself reaching for return of the boom bap LP rather than any of his newer releases.

when he first started touring to UK again about 5 years ago I went to the first of the shows he did here at the Shepherds Bush Empire - it was easily one if the best hip hop shows I've ever been too. it was banger after banger, relentless pace - mind blowing, he killed it.

SEED78 14th July 2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic (Post 9227163)

da relic

THIS is actually really good kfhkh

Dayl 14th July 2013 11:52 AM

woah.... there are a few things in that kit that I didn't even think of!

droppin real knowledge! KRS... the man.

Tommycash 14th July 2013 06:39 PM

Still got it imo. Always will be a fan

DJ TEKNIK 16th July 2013 01:57 PM

Is he still dropping that Mad Lion produced album?

BezowinZ 16th July 2013 04:24 PM

I'll check for Never Forget. And the Disaster Kit is fire!

My problem with KRS is almost never with the rhymes. Some of those beats though...

SEED78 16th July 2013 05:31 PM

i think thats largely it - some of the beats he's used in recent years haven't been amazing. he is def still able to rock the spot.

jrides 16th July 2013 06:23 PM

My problem with KRS is almost always rhyme related. He has gotten a bit lazy in his old age or possibly so concerned with the message that he forgets it is a "song".

Realigion 16th July 2013 06:38 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that first one is a terrible mix?

beyondat 16th July 2013 06:54 PM

I can't listen to KRS anymore. This is coming from a person that would ask people in in 92' " who the best emcee was?". 99% of the people would either say Krs or Rakim. If I ask you and you said Rakim, I would subtract props from you. If you said Krs but you took to long to ponder the question, I would subtract props from you. Krs has been choosing horrible beats for years now.

mrwonderful 17th July 2013 12:57 AM

That krs one song on assault precinct 13 was hot beat flows lyrics etc