New Reply
Subscribe
Aplaudible
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Head

People Stealing Music Off Hosting Sites/Ways to Combat it

Hey all,

So the thought kinda crossed me when this happened. I was at my buddies studio and he was stoked because he built a custom beat for someone and was going to make $250 off it. I was super jealous too cause I haven't ever sold a single beat before. I've traded them for other things but yeah...

Fast forward to next week, He put the beat up on soundcloud for promotional work for his studio and made a new soundcloud for it and everything. This dude steals it off there and he's pretty pissed [as anyone would be].

Now what are some ways you think would be combating it ? I know there's the method of putting vocals over the beats so no one steals it. I was also thinking of just uploading super low quality lossy formats like 170kbps mp4 files or something lol so that if they steal it they will get a copy that has been transcoded from a lossy format twice and will probably sound like shit when they do that. Then there's the disadvantage of that though where your beats don't sound as fresh anymore.

I'm considering taking down anything that is relatively new for the past half year or so and doing the "weak bitrate" method but figured I'd post here and get some opinions

What are your opinions?

Last edited by Aplaudible; 2nd July 2013 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add a few notes
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Put your stuff on Soundcloud as stream only and forgo the download option.
The the music can only be streamed?
Aplaudible
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland101 View Post
Put your stuff on Soundcloud as stream only and forgo the download option.
The the music can only be streamed?
In theory yes but unfortunately there are some programs [I won't say what] that can bypass that though and just download your song. It transcodes it though when it does that. Soundcloud also transcodes your beat if you upload it too so that's why I was kinda leaning towards the low bitrate method but yeah...it sucks
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

The way to combat it is to not put something up until it's sold. Or have a lawyer on call.

If it's just randoms stealing it to listen to that you're worried about, not a lot you can do, just live with it and move on.

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sbechristos
Include shouts/phrases into your productions you host on these sites.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Leave it up.....he may as well. If I or anyone else want your music we will take it... as long as it can be streamed, we can and will take it if we want... it's not hard.

You think lower quality will fix the problem? nope.. try talking to some of the guys here that track/mix vocals over poor quality MP3 two track recordings... it doesn't matter. How about only putting a minutes worth.. hmm thats at least 24 bars or so.. I can rip it and even a basic freebie program like audacity can help me get a full beat up and running in no time. Tags? nope.. from what I hear , that doesn't really make a difference either...

Lets remember that all these things make your music sound worse.. they take away from the potential impact by themselves.. worse if combined.

It happens... I dont condone it.. but it does.. and it's easy... it's a reality.

I don't know why your buddy is going and putting a tailor made beat he got paid good money for, up on soundcloud...a week later.. in the public domain before the guy who paid him that hard earned had a chance to use it... I dont know.. maybe that was part of the deal... but I'd be getting my $250 back for a start... unless previously arranged.

Anyway.. rest assured, nothing major can happen with it anyway. dont sweat it. If his intention is to use Soundcloud as a method of promotion and networking, then by all means.. put your best foot forward everytime and get promoting.. dont turn people away with 'security measures'. His beats are not the holy grail and so long as there was not some digitally encrypted golden ticket to Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory in the beat... I'm sure he could write more anyway...

Main thing here... dont sweat it... I realize this may sound a little laxed but ultimately... it doesn't matter.... produce great music.. keep a tightly managed soundcloud page (and whatever else) with a select and impressive selection of only your best and most impressive beats and represent yourself well... dont let yourself or your friend become bogged down with this BS unless big boy money is involved.... then.... dont come to GS... spend some face time with a very good entertainment lawyer... or whatever.. I dont know that part as I've never had to travel that path.

But chill, don't compomise quality and the chance of a good impression because of a nobody that prob wont do jack with your beat anyway....the very least, he could gain some exposure.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

One thing that confuses me is the use of the term 'beat".
I mean a beat is made of drums.. can you copy right a beat?
I mean beats are made from drums? Could some not just stream it and recreate it on a drum set and using samples, its not exactly a melody is it?
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Haha fair call. The term 'beat' is hip hop slang for 'musical composition' although... sometimes it's hard to tell
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Its difficult then to lay claim as many chord progressions have been used for millions of years..its the melody and lyrics that would need to be copyrighted or actual individual recordings?
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

It's America though, they love laying claim to anything and have an over-abundance of predatory Lawyers to whisper in your ear lol.... but yeah, melody rules... apart from that, I cant say much as I'm not too brushed up on the legal side of things.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

if someone stole one of my beats, celebrate!

that is flattery
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

When I send out a song to artists I use myflashstore. I don't think there is a ripper for that site.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
When I send out a song to artists I use myflashstore. I don't think there is a ripper for that site.
Any site that streams media is unable to stop its content being ripped.

Hell, if you own a Focusrite interface, they tell you how to do it on their website.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Head

Use voice tags. All you can do. If they take it, it comes with a flyer!

http://www.soundcloud.com/hovenbuya<-- Songs

http://www.noizsd.com<-- Demo Beats
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoVenbuYa View Post
Use voice tags. All you can do. If they take it, it comes with a flyer!
It's fairly easy to get rid of voice tags too, so, no "flyer."
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Any site that streams media is unable to stop its content being ripped.

Hell, if you own a Focusrite interface, they tell you how to do it on their website.
They layer their voice tags over it as well and pretty loud to. But I know what you're saying.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't believe dude was gonna pay you 250 until I saw it. Half the rappers out there will say some shit like that.

So really you didn't lose sh!t. Or your buddy didn't should I say.
But you now know who not to fuk with, for free. You didnt loan guy no money or nothing did you?

Bet he said he was gonna pay you on Friday..
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

"Resistance is futile"

Welcome to the boosting generation
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
Yup.

I do find it amazing when I come across young kids who openly admit to pirating music while bemoaning the difficulty of earning a living in music (not saying that's what the OP is doing). I come across kids all the time when I visit universities to do speaking engagements who have never paid for music in their lives but are still in school studying production with an expectation at earning some money.
To be fair, this has always happened. I know I'd dub tapes for people and I'd have people dub cassettes and CD's for myself.

But I, usually always, bought the original after the fact anyway. (If I liked it that much, that is). And I know this held true for a lot of my peers as well.

I believe the phenomenon is largely attributed to technology and the ease at which one can simply steal music. On the flipside of that token, digital downloading has made it MUCH cheaper to buy whole albums...I have to wonder how many unguided adolescents are out there that might not even know that music has to be purchased.

even cheaper than cassettes in the 90's!
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

Vocal tags are a pretty descent solution....
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toxic View Post
Vocal tags are a pretty descent solution....
1. In most cases they can be easily eliminated.

2. Many people record right over them and think they are a part of the beat and are supposed to be there.

Welcome to 2013.
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

I'm reluctant to post music , best thing to do is post really low quality audio, I hate tags it's corny to me. Theres really no way to stop it. So selectively post a few tracks in low quality and replace with new ones when need be
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
1. In most cases they can be easily eliminated.

2. Many people record right over them and think they are a part of the beat and are supposed to be there.

Welcome to 2013.
Well, one can be clever in its placements...
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfortune View Post
I'm reluctant to post music , best thing to do is post really low quality audio, I hate tags it's corny to me. Theres really no way to stop it. So selectively post a few tracks in low quality and replace with new ones when need be
Low quality is such an arrogant way of going about it... like "my music is so good that someone can find gold even at 64kbps" ... give me a break. This is not any less hackneyed than cleverly tagging your work.

......as long as your tag is not along the superlative type lines of "blah blah blah ... no.1 industry beats on the net..." or ..."blah blah your one stop shop for radio ready....." hyperbolic BS
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Online piracy is a radically different phenomenon than dubbing tapes. That's a false equivalence.
Not in its intent...
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

and... i apparently don't know how the multi-quote function works on GS
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Well, one can be clever in its placements...
That's true, but most aren't.

Quote:
and... i apparently don't know how the multi-quote function works on GS
Copy/paste is your friend!
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear nut

Yeah this ish is garbage. There was one cat, who was stealing a grip worth of beats for over 3 years, had a whole site, youtube vids, banner ads all selling stolen beats.....not a single one he did....

Fortunately, eventually he got found out, cornered at a club and got a really nice whoopin, his car drank a molotiv cocktail, and got all his clothes taken from in the alley outside the club .....

after that, all the websites/youtubes/banner ads got taken down real quick.....

But I'm sure dude made a nice little killin in the mean time
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:

"Intent" is irrelevant. You and I both may intend to make the world a better place, though our approaches might be very much at odds. Hell, to use an overtly-cliche internet message board tactic, Hitler and Ghandi both sought to make the world a better place. Their intent was the same. However, their actions are hardly comparable.

Now, ironically, since you mention intent, I would point out that a number of online pirates actually revel in the destructive aspects of their actions. They see file sharing as a way of "sticking it to the man". They argue that art should be free for everyone, and that those who would create art for financial reward should be punished. I'd venture a guess that a minority of people engaged in tape duplication with the intent of ruining thousands of musicians' careers and bringing down an industry.
I'll debate that overtly cliche Hitler v Ghandi statement some other time, but you are absolutely right. To be honest, that does not even bug me as much as people that are proud of pirating software and vsts.

Edit:

But back to the intent thing though... When I was living in Surrey, England in the late 90s as a teen, My Dad was really into Audio systems and shit and we had a mini-disc recorder, a really nice one too! In the short window that mini-disc walkmans were kinda hot ... i used to make hiphop mixes of about 13 - 14 songs from my CD collection and sell em for 10 quid to the whiteboys at school. They went like hotcakes that I actually made it to "edition 4" on the mixes before graduation. I mean they ate that shit up. I remember not giving a phuck that it was illegal...and i thought to myself...if only there was a way to get a lot more in a shorter amount of time... bad intentions and no better than file sharing from a moral perspective. Only difference is technology....
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear nut

Hey I'm not the one who did all that, and none of my stuff got taken. I'm a lover not a fighter.....

....but I guess this guy was told to stop, and kept going. HAd it all set up like a conveyor belt sellin em left and right for $200 a pop.

cats take their stuff serious.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search